My furnace broke a record!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
In 2011 I installed three Wallace forced air furnaces in my 4788 Bayliner.

One heats the lower cabins, one heats the salon, and the third is for heating and defrost in the pilothouse. 30,000 BTU total heating capacity.

Of all three furnaces the one heating the lower cabins gets the most work. Since the cabins are surrounded by water it runs quite a bit.

The furnaces have been reliable, but of course each one has needed some work along the way.

Last week the cabin furnace would not start. I knew it was a glow plug from experience but I decided to send it in to the dealer in Seattle Scan Marine as it has never been checked out with their nifty exhaust gas analyzer. They only charge $150 for labor so it was time for a checkup.

The tech called me a day after it arrived (quick service!) and told me that I had set a record at 27,000 hours of run time. I was impressed! That is ALOT of run time!

Well, a new burner, glow plug, and thermocouple later the stove is back working perfectly!

I cannot say enough good about a product on a boat that lasts 27,000 hours, or a company that gets after fixing the product less than 24 hours after it arrives in their shop!

Last edited:
That's amazing! Over 9 hours a day, every day, for the last 8 years, on average.

Ted

It is a lot of time!

I am seriously considering buying another and using that one as a spare. A unit to quickly swap in if I get an issue with another furnace so that I can take my time troubleshooting.

Swap out takes all of 15 minutes, and I have to take them out to repair any way due to the locations they are in, being not all that accessible.

Repairs are not needed all that often, but you only find out a furnace is broken when it is cold and you need it.

We recently upgraded from the Wallas DT-40 to the Spartan- huge difference in throughput...and, I can start it from my phone. :)

It’s nice when you find a product that actually works well.

We recently upgraded from the Wallas DT-40 to the Spartan- huge difference in throughput...and, I can start it from my phone. :)

I’m thinking of the Viking as a new unit.

The only thing holding me back is pulling a new cable to the unit for the new controller

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom