Old 08-30-2019, 06:06 AM   #16
Ski in NC
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keijo View Post
Current engine is a Ford Dagenham 6D turbocharged. They stopped making them in 1967. Rebuilt in 2014, some parts very difficult to source, some parts not available. 860 hours on rebuild. Recently a valve snapped, valve guide broke, bent push rod and damaged piston. No one can explain how this happened. Zero confidence in engine. No logic in repairing current engine. Want to keep the boat another 10-15 years. Willing to repower with new or recon engine. Don't want a 60+ year old engine when I finally go to sell. Beta dealer is 5 minutes away. Want a smooth running, efficient and dependable engine. Of course it will cost me - I just want the right engine.
I'm not an expert on the Fords, but have rebuilt a couple and worked on many. It sounds like you have a very early version of the Ford, and that is not the same engine as the later Fords marinized by Lehman. Strange also to have a turbo on an engine that early. I can imagine parts are hard to source.

The later Fords marinized by Lehman, and now ADC, seem to be well supported. It is also a good fit for you boat. Hull speed cruising will put the engine right in the middle of the power curve, making 40-60hp at an rpm close to peak torque rpm, which is nice place to operate an engine. So a more modern Ford should be on your list of options.

The Cummins 6BT 210 is also a good option. It is capable of making a lot more hp due to the turbo, but if you don't use the extra hp, the engine is very happy making 40-60hp and would be just as reliable as the Ford. Also there are bazillions of these engines out there and parts will be available, somehow, for the next 100yrs. Kinda like the Detroit 6-71 a few generations earlier.

There are Cummins 6B (non-turbo) out there, probably a better fit to your boat, but they were not many sold into the marine world. So a great engine, just not as easy to find. I do think someone was selling a marine version on some website (might be this one??), so do a little snooping.

I would not recommend a smaller 4cyl like the Yanmar 4JH. It is a very good engine, but tends to shake at low rpm and has a buzz vibration at high rpm. Just the nature of a 4cyl. And your cruise rpm will need to be higher than any of the 6cyl, putting you into that buzzy zone. No harm from that, but a 4cyl at 2400 is not as pleasant as a 6cyl at 1500-1800.

I am not familiar with the 150hp Beta. I would like to know who makes the base engine and whether it is turbo. Could be a good engine like their Kubota offerings, but could be something more obscure like some Euro car engine (???)

I too would not want to put much effort into rebuilding a 50yr old Ford IF parts are hard to come by.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote