Joining the Krogen Manatee family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cantsitstill

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Tee
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen Manatee
We are closing tomorrow on a 1984 Krogen Manatee. I don't know the hull # yet but there is a stack of manuals and logs in 7 notebooks I will be looking through soon.

We love this design and are really looking forward to pouring our last $ into the projects we are planning on this boat. Well maybe not looking forward to it but planning it anyway.

Lots to do before we plan to splash it in October!

We are closing tomorrow on a 1984 Krogen Manatee. I don't know the hull # yet but there is a stack of manuals and logs in 7 notebooks I will be looking through soon.

We love this design and are really looking forward to pouring our last $ into the projects we are planning on this boat. Well maybe not looking forward to it but planning it anyway.

Welcome, and congrats, Ron!

Welcome. The Manatee isn't the prettiest girl at the ball but she sure is built nice. Please post up some pics and projects that you're doing.

Congratulations! One of my favorite boat designs; an almost ideal slow speed "couple's" boat.

Congrats & welcome from the only TX Manatee

IF its one of the boats that has no below decks steering , everything done from the fly bridge , 1st purchase should be real quality oil skins.

Manatees ain't much to look at but they're the biggest 36 out there! I think the only way to expand the space is to add a longer swim step, a tuna tower or crow's nest!

Congrats on the great new boat. Send pics and details as you settle in with her.

From one Manatee newbie to another...

... Congrats on your new Manatee. We are also new Manatee owners (1984, #3) as of May, and have much to learn and much to do. For a couple days there we thought we’d be the shortest term Manatee owners on record due to a projected *direct hit* by Dorian, but looks like we’ve dodged the bullet at this point. (Hard to be 1000 mi away and just watch the impending doom on NOAA. :eek: That’s what boat insurance is for, right? RIGHT?) Can’t wait for details on yours.

Welcome. The Manatee isn't the prettiest girl at the ball but she sure is built nice. Please post up some pics and projects that you're doing.

I am not a big picture taker but if we do something interesting will try to remember to post pics. As for projects, i am in luck. Lots of stuff we are doing/plan to do on this boat. She was not well cared for by the most recent owner.

Records indicate that 2 owners previous did a ton of stuff up till they stopped in 2017. My guess is that is when they started the sales process.

Congrats & welcome from the only TX Manatee

I believe ours is number 15. I see notes in the original plans referencing #3615.

Is there a way to tell for sure from the hin?

Last edited:
... Congrats on your new Manatee. We are also new Manatee owners (1984, #3) as of May, and have much to learn and much to do. For a couple days there we thought we’d be the shortest term Manatee owners on record due to a projected *direct hit* by Dorian, but looks like we’ve dodged the bullet at this point. (Hard to be 1000 mi away and just watch the impending doom on NOAA. :eek: That’s what boat insurance is for, right? RIGHT?) Can’t wait for details on yours.

We are learning and doing projects also. Love her so far.

Glad to hear you your boat survived the storm. Our boat is currently 1 hr away on the hard. Sucks to be driving back and forth all the time. Lots of stuff to do before she hits the water in October though.

Welcome and congrats on your water world home. We Manatee owners know what great boats they are. Ask the KKM group your questions and we will be glad to help.

Congratulations on your new Manatee . Those are great boats. Welcome to Trawler Forum.

I am not a big picture taker but if we do something interesting will try to remember to post pics. As for projects, i am in luck. Lots of stuff we are doing/plan to do on this boat. She was not well cared for by the most recent owner.

Records indicate that 2 owners previous did a ton of stuff up till they stopped in 2017. My guess is that is when they started the sales process.
:thumb: Sounds good.

Welcome to the Manatee family. Yes 3615 is hull # 15 in 1984, ours is 3669 on a 1987 so they built a lot in those three years or so.
Each Manatee is a little different, our HIN # is embossed on the starboard side of the hull near the transom gate opening. It should be in the accent strpe area and may have many coats of paint over it !
The saying goes “ once you’ve seen one Manatee you’ve seen one Manatee”. All have slight differences so if your HIN # is not in the same location as mine that’s just the way they built them.

Last edited:
Welcome!!

We own Hull 84 (1988) and purchased 'Oma' 20 months ago. The folks her on TF have been very helpful in answering questions.

a couple of thoughts for you -
1. if it has not already been done - Re-Bed all the deck hardware and stanchions - ALL the hardware. We have been chasing deck leaks since we brought her out from under cover in her previous home. (She was in KY and be brought her up the rivers to Chicago)

2.check the seam between the pilot house windows and the fiberglass enclosure. That horizontal caulk line, from door to door, was leaking, on re-caulking, it stopped several leaks.

We have enjoyed living on our Manatee this past two summers in downtown Chicago. Lots of room for a 36 footer. Most of our sailing friends (And other powerboaters on the dock are envious of the locker space.

Hope you enjoy her as much as we are enjoying ours.

Paul
KK Manatee "Oma"
USGC 50 ton Master

Welcome!!

We own Hull 84 (1988) and purchased 'Oma' 20 months ago. The folks her on TF have been very helpful in answering questions.

a couple of thoughts for you -
1. if it has not already been done - Re-Bed all the deck hardware and stanchions - ALL the hardware. We have been chasing deck leaks since we brought her out from under cover in her previous home. (She was in KY and be brought her up the rivers to Chicago)

2.check the seam between the pilot house windows and the fiberglass enclosure. That horizontal caulk line, from door to door, was leaking, on re-caulking, it stopped several leaks.

We have enjoyed living on our Manatee this past two summers in downtown Chicago. Lots of room for a 36 footer. Most of our sailing friends (And other powerboaters on the dock are envious of the locker space.

Hope you enjoy her as much as we are enjoying ours.

Paul
KK Manatee "Oma"
USGC 50 ton Master

Thanks for the advice. The stanchions were rebedded. There are some very extensive maintenance notes from the previous owner. I have been retyping them as an exercise to help me learn about the boat.

I also just figured out how to tell from the HIN what # hull we have. It is actually #12.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom