Boat that sank now on Yacht World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That link isn't working for me.

It might be a great project for somebody, but at about 25% asking price. They really must be joking about the price. Shame about the boat.

Cheers, Bill

Greetings,
Mr. M. "They really must be joking about the price." Asking $100K+? That's the first thing I thought as well. One could easily be buying scrap. Were the engines pickled ASAP? Many, many questions.

A great time to re-power out of 2-cycle Detroits.

If this boat could be bought for $15k, it appears nearly every system would need replacement. How much would that cost? It seems to me that a 65 ft boat like this in good working condition could be had for less than all the repairs dollars you'd need for the sunk boat. Am I off base?

Greetings,
Mr. MP. "Am I off base?" NOT in my opinion. I think every piece and part of that boat would have to be inspected and refurbished/repaired or replaced. Great if you're 21 years old, have unlimited funds and are keen to take on project of that size. To have the same done in a yard? Hahahaha...Read the "unlimited funds" part again.

Greetings,
Mr. MP. "Am I off base?" NOT in my opinion. I think every piece and part of that boat would have to be inspected and refurbished/repaired or replaced. Great if you're 21 years old, have unlimited funds and are keen to take on project of that size. To have the same done in a yard? Hahahaha...Read the "unlimited funds" part again.

I am sorry for the loss of his boat. I do hope no one was hurt.

I totally agree..... :thumb: :thumb:
Total and Constructive loss. No doubt, he has settled with his insurance company and has started hunting his next boat.

We know where the big holes are but, you dont know where the significant spider cracks are.

There is much to be said about a trawler and its protected running gear.

I am sorry but, I would not take that boat if he paid me. Right now the owner/insurance company are desperate. If he cant find a buyer, he or his insurance company will have to pay LOTS to dispose of the hull etc.

This damage will follow the boat's history.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. M. "They really must be joking about the price." Asking $100K+? That's the first thing I thought as well. One could easily be buying scrap. Were the engines pickled ASAP? Many, many questions.

Broker states "The engines and generators will most-likely need replacing."
The boat is scrap.

I would pay them not to give me the boat. It could easily run 200 to 400K to rebuild it and you still would have a questionable boat. Buy one in good condition and be done. I would not touch this at any price and I love working on boats.

I would pay them not to give me the boat. It could easily run 200 to 400K to rebuild it and you still would have a questionable boat. Buy one in good condition and be done. I would not touch this at any price and I love working on boats.

Totally agree, and you're the expert in rebuilding stuff. The problems and money pit would go on forever.

Well had this thing simply sunk into a sand or mud bottom with no structural damage, would it be salvage-able or still a mess? But for the structural issues that is a nice boat.

One can only imagine what's possibly growing inside that boat that's been wet inside.

She’s a turd

Owners or their insurance company should be requesting quotes for the boat's scrapping.

Might be worth towing to a marina for use as a liveaboard.

Some folks never wish to leave the dock, so with engines and noisemaker sold there would be a huge amount of "basement" storage.

An outboard on the transom might keep it legally a boat , rather than a barge?

I know the owner of this boat. He was a liveaboard and the accident occurred just South of the Hood Canal bridge in a well known reef/rocks called "The Sisters". I don't know the details of how he ran aground but the rocks are well marked on the charts.

It was underwater for at least a few days before they were able to float it and haul it to a local yard. My guess is that the insurance company already paid out on the claim and now they're trying to get whatever they can for the hull.

I also agree that I would not touch this boat with a 10 foot pole. Just looking at the pictures I cannot imagine what it would cost to bring that boat back to working order much less bringing it back to a shape that would be livable. It's really a shame what happened to the boat.

Too many good never sunk boat deals out there.

Too many good never sunk boat deals out there.

BINGO...!!

Would make a great liveaboard for a whole commune of ex-blowboaters to tow in just off the channel and anchor... :rofl:

I don’t know any marina in the PNW that would let you Moore a non functioning boat just to live on.

I don’t know any marina in the PNW that would let you Moore a non functioning boat just to live on.

A friend of ours (who is a lifelong boater) suggested that maybe this boat might be better suited to a conversion as a "cabin" on land. Remove the engines and put it on a plot of land to use as a unique vacation home. That being said - it would still need a significant amount of work/investment to get it to a livable condition.

Hippie blow-boaters don't need no stinkin' marinas to drop anchor on a sea-scow... :D

Not even any salvage value, as the pics appear to show that everything of any value has already been stripped off of the boat. They'd have to pay me more than $119,000.00 to take this boat . . . . oh, wait, they're asking SOMEONE ELSE to pay $119,000.00 to take it off their hands?!? I know pot is legal in Washington State now, but SERIOUSLY? :nonono:

The sad thing is that many boats that have only been "swamped" are immanently salvageable provided recovery/restoration is started IMMEDIATELY. Like immediate dewatering, flushing of all mechanicals (engines/gears) and filling with diesel fuel. Understanding that ALL electrical to include wiring needs replacing, and most if not all finished woodwork will require rehab. Problem is that by the time that the boat is released by the insurance company with no or inadequate remedial work most boats have deteriorated and are honestly and truly junk, and not worth the cost of repair. It's the nature of the beast.

Back
Top Bottom