I need to replace my bimini canvas. Approximately 12' x 14'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
I heard about a new thinner stronger material than Sunbrella that's also waterproof.. Also how much should I expect to pay for a pro job??? I've been told canvas people here in the keys are very expensive... The frame is up and strong, not bent.
Thanks folks!!

take a look at the hard tops made of lexan, less$$ lasts longer

If you have the old canvas, take it off and send it to Northstar Products. They will reproduce it with heavy weight Sunbrella and dyneema thread. They usally will turn it around in a week. Their prices can't be beat. They have done a lot of work for me all by phone and mail. Highly recommend. If I had to guess your bimini would cost $300-400 using them. Contact Andy.(419) 382-8450

I had good success with Kim at Calypso Canvas in Key Largo, 305-923-6182. Tell him I said hello.

If you have the old canvas, take it off and send it to Northstar Products. They will reproduce it with heavy weight Sunbrella and dyneema thread. They usally will turn it around in a week. Their prices can't be beat. They have done a lot of work for me all by phone and mail. Highly recommend. If I had to guess your bimini would cost $300-400 using them. Contact Andy.(419) 382-8450

How well does that work with old canvas that may have shrunk etc...? I have not had great success with canvas folks. Some do great work, but are not terribly reliable about getting the work done in a timely manner or responding to inquiries.

Bigfish, you're very lucky to live where you do because you're quite close to one of the best canvas companies in the PNW. Carol's Custom Canvas (503-289-3530 or 503-313-1095) is located right in Portland near the airport. Gordon Gruhlke is the guy to talk with. I've had Gordon do canvas on 3 of my boats and he's the best. He does what he says he is going to do, gets it done on time and does it for the price he quotes. BTW, the material you're talking about is Stamoid. It's waterproof, has a plastic-like finish, cleans easily and reflects the sun.

The material you are referring to is probably Stamoid. It is thinner than Sunbrella and it is waterproof. I use it in places that I want complete waterproof but I still prefer Sunbrella. Maybe just stubborn. I have a hardtotop on my current boat and also put one on a previous boat. I really like them but once you put it up it should stay up, not be put up and down. It is really a permanent top.

How well does that work with old canvas that may have shrunk etc...? I have not had great success with canvas folks. Some do great work, but are not terribly reliable about getting the work done in a timely manner or responding to inquiries.

I had a top I sent them that was old and the new one fit nicely when it came back from NorthStar. If you know where it has shrunk and how much you need it to be stretched I'm sure they can work with that. I had them make some of my pieces and send me the snaps to install myself so I could get a great fit. It may not be the same fit as if a custom shop came out and did the work but it was close enough and the price was about 1/3 of a custom shop. Also the turnaround time is quick. I like that they use top of the line materials as well.

Whatever canvas or wherever you have one made use Tenara thread. It costs more than poly thread but it will last forever. The small extra cost will be way cheaper than having to restitch the top one time.

So has anyone used this Stamoid fabric? My concerns in the PNW would be condensation building up on the underside of an enclosed area, say a flybridge?

Stamoid will not breathe, Sunbrella will. That is a real difference. I like Sunbrella and when the waterproofing wears out, and it will, then you just retreat it. If you let water pool on Sunbrella it will eventually start to drip through. But if you have water pooling on your top, it is a poorly designed top. I have a friend that has a leaking windshield and we don’t see a way to remove it to rebed it without removing the flybridge, so I advised him to get a windshield bra made out of Stamoid because it is truly waterproof and will stop the windshield from leaking. He never uses the windshield to see out of anyway since he does not have a lower helm. If I lived in a damp environment I think that I would want Sunbrella in order to let the moisture out. Unless you are going with white, then go Stamoid since white Sunbrella is very difficult to keep clean due to the woven material.

Comodave nailed it about the Stamoid not being able to breathe and thus not being able to shed off accumulated moisture.

We're lucky enough to live in a desert climate where accumulated moisture just doesn't happen.

A way around that would be to leave one panel partially unzipped and put a 110V fan in a position so it could expel the moist air.

I had a top I sent them that was old and the new one fit nicely when it came back from NorthStar. If you know where it has shrunk and how much you need it to be stretched I'm sure they can work with that. I had them make some of my pieces and send me the snaps to install myself so I could get a great fit. It may not be the same fit as if a custom shop came out and did the work but it was close enough and the price was about 1/3 of a custom shop. Also the turnaround time is quick. I like that they use top of the line materials as well.

Thanks Jeff. I’ll check into it. I like the price and the quick turn around time.

Just my two cents, but I switched from Sunbrella to Stamoid for my Bimini 4 years ago. Obviously, Florida is a very, very humid, moldy environment. I've found the Stamoid to be much less prone to mold and mildew and considerably easier to clean. I also think it has a cleaner, more modern look. I'll never go back to sunbrella.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom