Portable Tachometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
So I was telling my friend who is a motorcycle mechanic that my tachs were not accurate.* I planned on using the fluorescent light / tape on the flywheel method to figure out when I was taching various speeds when the timing was right.

He tells me "what the fu*& are you doing?"* I have a portable tach that you can push up onto the flywheel.*** It is an amazingly simple device, and I plan on using it to calibrate my tachs which I suspect are off by some.

And in a related question -- since the tach comes from the alternator, and since a belt drives the alternator, can a loose belt cause bad tach readings?* My thought is yes.

Attachments

• imag0181.jpg
    imag0181.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 106
  • imag0182.jpg
    imag0182.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 95
"and since a belt drives the alternator, can a loose belt cause bad tach readings? My thought is yes."

Yes , belt slippage will be a hassle , your alt tach readings will vary with charge and belt wear , heat and tension.

But for most cruisers "close" works fine.

Often you'll find that the tach in the picture will have a pointed tip for use with shafts that have an indentation for a puller or on a regular tach drive fitting. Getting the point to sit and stay in position on a bolt head such as is found on the front of a Lehman engine or most other diesels to get an accurate reading will be more difficult. A photo tach will easily allow you to check and calibrate your tachs. Ask around your marina and I bet you'll find one that you can borrow. It will probably come with the owner who will help you and make the whole job easier.

2bucks wrote:
Often you'll find that the tach in the picture will have a pointed tip for use with shafts that have an indentation for a puller or on a regular tach drive fitting. Getting the point to sit and stay in position on a bolt head such as is found on the front of a Lehman engine or most other diesels to get an accurate reading will be more difficult. A photo tach will easily allow you to check and calibrate your tachs. Ask around your marina and I bet you'll find one that you can borrow. It will probably come with the owner who will help you and make the whole job easier.
*never had a problem with mine...just have to get the hang of it and use the other "foot" that looks like the bottom of a door stop and has a flat face.

as long as you have it n hand..calibrating your tachs is a good idea...but that's the thing with alt driven tachs...your never sure if they stay calibrated.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 16th of March 2012 03:35:50 PM

2bucks wrote:
*I don't know what a photo tach is...* I read on this forum that you could take a flouresecent light which cycles at 60Hz and a piece of tape on the flywheel*and when it makes a straight line at 1800.* I could never get that to work.* The motorcycle guy laughed at me (as some people here might) so I'll try his portable tach since it won't cost me anything.* But from what I understand, there are different "tips" for this that might make it easier.*** Thanks for the help from all responders.

If you want a digital laser tacho get on flea bay they sell for about 16 bucks and delivered in a few days.

Bloody good value IMHO

psneeld wrote:2bucks wrote:
*never had a problem with mine...just have to get the hang of it and use the other "foot" that looks like the bottom of a door stop and has a flat face.

as long as you have it n hand..calibrating your tachs is a good idea...but that's the thing with alt driven tachs...your never sure if they stay calibrated.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 16th of March 2012 03:35:50 PM

*That's a great solution. If you have a flat foot for it and can find it. I don't think I've ever come across one that had anything but the pointed one.

Ken

easily found on ebay-

pointed tip

Stewart Warner Hand-Held Tachometer Rubber Tip 96798

flat foot tip

Stewart Warner Hand-Held Tachometer Rubber Tip 96799

Back
Top Bottom