Rub Rail questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hi All,

I'm getting hauled out for a bottom job and a few other things in a few weeks. One of the jobs on my list is to add a rub rail around the edge of my swim platform. It has some chips/gel coat cracks in it from the PO running it into docks. Well....maybe one of them is from me :).

Anyway, I thought this would be a straight forward task, but holy buckets there are a million choices of rub rail. Compounding it is that I only need 20 feet and it generally comes in much larger rolls. I hate throwing stuff away.

The rim of the platform is 3 inches wide, I'd like to cover quite a bit of it. I'd like a black rubber rail, no stainless or canvas pads. It isn't going to roll over the top edge so it needs a flat back. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

I have not looked in a while but Hamilton Marine used to have a whole bunch of different rub rails. They even have some large commercial types that will give really good protection. Some of them they sold by the foot.

Taco Marine / rubrails

When I had my N46, I wanted to make my rub rail stick out more, without the chrome. More salty looking. Folks discourage me. I never got around to it.
Now I have a AT34 and still want to change out the rub rail to one that sticks out more, w/o the chrome. Same rational.... more salty looking.

When I had my N46, I wanted to make my rub rail stick out more, without the chrome. More salty looking. Folks discourage me. I never got around to it.
Now I have a AT34 and still want to change out the rub rail to one that sticks out more, w/o the chrome. Same rational.... more salty looking.

What would you substitute for the SS? Paint? Wood?

I did that on the platform of my MS MKI, for similar reasons. Mostly I wanted to be able to tie the tender up close and not worry about it chewing up the teak. I also added 2 cleats which made it easy to tie up various water toys and visitors

I use black vinyl with vinyl insert from TACO :socool:

The larger sized commercial rub rail is tough enough to not need a rubbing strip most times.

Fender boards do help when tied to a piling overnight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom