Want to install a sanitation system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
I want to install a complete system that is safe to dump over board, black water, tired of going to pump out. I am looking at a Ahead System made in Louisiana. This system uses 110 volt power and chemicals must be added. What other systems does anyone have or is out there, trying to stay with 110 volt.

Lectra/San is another product I've heard of, made by Raritan, although I have no personal knowledge of it.

Lectrasan very popular but not without issues.

The hold and treat variation is loved by some.

I look at it as insurance. Some places when you need to pump out as a liveaboard....the conditions to move the boat are less than perfect which could lead to boat damage.

Raritan engineering makes some Great units.

I have electroscan, and hold N treat controls.

Love it!

Just my opinion.....
No matter which system you choose, have it installed professionally. You want to sue someone if things go south.

I want to install a complete system that is safe to dump over board, black water, tired of going to pump out. I am looking at a Ahead System made in Louisiana. This system uses 110 volt power and chemicals must be added. What other systems does anyone have or is out there, trying to stay with 110 volt.

There are two types of USCG certified (iow, approved) treatment devices. Boats <66' may use a Type I, which includes the Raritan ElectroScan (current version of the Lectra/San) ElectroScan promo sheet and PuraSan Raritan PuraSan Promo Sheet both of which need only 12, 24 or 32v power (depending on which is on your boat). Boats 66' and up need a Type II. The Ahead system is a Type II, which makes it overkill for your 45' boat--a lot more complex, requiring a lot more maintenance and a LOT more expensive!

I'd go with the PuraSan because it works equally well in both salt and fresh water (the ElectroScan needs salt to create the chlorine it uses to treat the waste and also requires more maintenance). And because you're likely to find yourself in a "no discharge" marina or harbor (Destin Harbor is one) where you'll have no choice but to use your holding tank, I'd also go with Raritan's Hold 'n' Treat Controls Raritan HoldnTreat controls--JUST the controls, not the complete Hold 'n' Treat tank and treatment device package because you already have a holding tank. That gives you the ability to empty the tank through the PuraSan instead of having to use a pumpout once you're out of the NDZ and back into waters where the discharge of treated waste is legal.

If you'd like some help working out the details for installing it in YOUR boat, give me a shout...I'll be glad to help you get it all right the first time.

--Peggie

I much prefer to install a system like that, one because I like doing work on my boat, and two if it breaks out in the boonies you are familiar with it and stand a chance of fixing it.

I much prefer to install a system like that, one because I like doing work on my boat, and two if it breaks out in the boonies you are familiar with it and stand a chance of fixing it.

Then look over his shoulder and ask lots of questions.
Dont forget to buy the 'most used' spare parts to fix it.

I guess you didn’t see part one where I like to work on my boat...

I guess you didn’t see part one where I like to work on my boat...

Yes, I saw that part. You want it installed professionally so if something happens, as a result, of a faulty install

Have a 2014 Electrosn unit very happy.
Listen to Peggy she is the expert!

Yes, I saw that part. You want it installed professionally so if something happens, as a result, of a faulty install

Working on boats isn’t rocket science. If I can’t install a head system I had better quit working on my boat now.

Electroscan installation can be incredibly simple.

Just my opinion.....
No matter which system you choose, have it installed professionally. You want to sue someone if things go south.

Lawyer?

If I didn’t live in a NDZ, I’d likely have already installed an Electrosan by now.

Well I know it isn’t rocket science but asking a lawyer to install it may be asking too much. Sorry to all the lawyers out there...

If the boat is mostly dockside where 120 is available there is the incinolet system that burns the black , and evaporates the water.

Incinolet Official Website | Easy, Clean, Dependable‎

Adwww.incinolet.com/‎

(877) 726-2110Perfect For Use In Tiny Homes, Cabins, Boats & More. Order Your Toilet Online! The Cleanest, Most-Efficient Way To Eliminate Human Waste. It's Quiet And Simple, Buy Now! All Stainless Steel. Made In The USA. No Water Needed. Easy Installations.

If the boat is mostly dockside where 120 is available there is the incinolet system that burns the black , and evaporates the water.

Adwww.incinolet.com/‎

(877) 726-2110Perfect For Use In Tiny Homes, Cabins, Boats & More. Order Your Toilet Online! The Cleanest, Most-Efficient Way To Eliminate Human Waste. It's Quiet And Simple, Buy Now! All Stainless Steel. Made In The USA. No Water Needed. Easy Installations.

Looks very interesting. Could be a viable option.
What is the EPA's opinion?
Dumping the ash? Has that presented a problem with the various govt jurisdiction?

Adwww.incinolet.com/‎

My family had an Incinolet at a camp where it was a very practical solution to no sewer or septic. But I don't think I'd put one on a boat, even a dock queen.

From the Canadian Incinolet web site FAQ Incinolet - Welcome to Incinolet.ca

Q. How long does an INCINOLET stay on?
A. A complete cycle lasts from 1-1/2 hours to 1-3/4 hours. The heater cycles on and off for 60 minutes to provide optimum combustion and the blower continues to run for about 30 minutes to cool the incineration chamber. The INCINOLET can be used at any time during the entire cycle.

It draws 15 AMPS during the burn

Just my opinion.....

Your opinion, as you say, and fine for you. But for folks with moderate skills, these systems are not difficult to install—especially after a consult with Peggy—and seldom require a lawyer. We’ve never had a problem with ours.

Attachments

• EDA51091-1030-4DA1-89A2-86DC732A31BB.jpg
    EDA51091-1030-4DA1-89A2-86DC732A31BB.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 56
It draws 15 AMPS during the burn

You forgot to mention that it needs 115v ac power. The catalytic converter also requires frequent cleaning or the smoke will STINK!

--Peggie

Your opinion, as you say, and fine for you. But for folks with moderate skills, these systems are not difficult to install—especially after a consult with Peggy—and seldom require a lawyer. We’ve never had a problem with ours.

The object in my mind is to avoid a lawyer.
My concern is, if something goes wrong, one of the questions asked will be, who put it in? Always nice to blame that very famous boat worker, "someone else." SMILE
If you can install it, great. Please have it checked and approved by a qualified "someone else."

The object in my mind is to avoid a lawyer.
My concern is, if something goes wrong, one of the questions asked will be, who put it in? Always nice to blame that very famous boat worker, "someone else." SMILE
If you can install it, great. Please have it checked and approved by a qualified "someone else."

So WHO will be asking the questions?

Here’s how it really works...

If something goes wrong the unit will display a error message on the screen and lock out. This will prevent the electric toilet or macerator pump (depending on the setup) from operating, preventing discharge.

So WHO will be asking the questions?

Here’s how it really works...

If something goes wrong the unit will display a error message on the screen and lock out. This will prevent the electric toilet or macerator pump (depending on the setup) from operating, preventing discharge.

SMILE You can do what you wish.
If I installed one, I would have it checked for proper installation.
Fail safes have been known to fail.

You need to have more confidence in your abilities.

Or educate yourself on the system prior to install.

Other than a couple wires and hose in, hose out.....not much else.

If it works the first time, the installation was correct and isn't sny safer, less safe than installing a head or hding tank.

All can leak or fail to pump....

You need to have more confidence in your abilities.

Or educate yourself on the system prior to install.

7 years in the Navy, MM1(SS) I have never questioned my abilities.
I do question, if I fold myself up to get into an area, will I be able to unfold myself and get out of the area. LOL

Back
Top Bottom