Windlass on Mainship I, II, or III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twiisted71

Guru
I posted this down in the Mainship section but got NO response. *Looking for pictures and experienced opinions of windlasses on these boats. *Mine has the molded in pulpit that extends back onto the deck about 2'. *I use a combination chain/rope setup and I have switched to Fortress anchors. *FX 16 or 23 is what will stay rigged on the line. *Guardian 37 will hopefully forever remain in the lazarette!

Who makes the commercial drum style winches that spool the rode? *I really don't care for the sour smell in the locker.

Do you mean who makes the horizontal windlasses that are used on Mainships specifically, or who makes good horizontal windlasses in general?

If you are looking for a horizontal drum windlass that carries the entire rode on the drum, you should know first that most of the time the rode used with these windlasses is cable, and most of the time these windlasses--- particularly the commercial grade models-- are hydraulic. So you need a source of hydraulic power. Also, these windlasses are generally fairly large and heavy. Not to say that there aren't lightweight electric ones out there, but all the ones I've seen on fishboats and the like are good size, hydraulic, and heavy.

The drum windlass on Donna is the big gray thing on the foredeck. This is a pretty typical installation.

Attachments

• donna.jpg
    donna.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 176
  • donna-021.jpg
    donna-021.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 155
Any cable winch does not use springy stretchy rode like nylon , just cable.

Since the lightweight anchors require as much spring in the anchor line as possible to actually work , cable would be a poor choice.

Not sure what the cable comments are coming from but I was asking about a windlass/winch that spools the rode onto itself instead of feeding into the locker. *I don't know of any pleasure boats (esp in the 34' range) that use a cable rode. *Wouldn't that be fun to pull in by hand in an emergency! *I found a company called Muir that makes them BUT geez the price on these suckers is up there. *$2800-3K in the size I'd need.

http://www.muir.com.au/pleasure/drum-winches-dw12-dff12.html

twiisted71 wrote:
Not sure what the cable comments are coming from but I was asking about a windlass/winch that spools the rode onto itself instead of feeding into the locker. *I don't know of any pleasure boats (esp in the 34' range) that use a cable rode. *Wouldn't that be fun to pull in by hand in an emergency! *I found a company called Muir that makes them BUT geez the price on these suckers is up there. *$2800-3K in the size I'd need.

http://www.muir.com.au/pleasure/drum-winches-dw12-dff12.html
*The cable comments are because what you are asking to do is most of the time done with cable and not nylon rode on commercial boats and not recreational.* Also with hydraulics and not electrical.

I'm not sure what you think a windlass costs but even the normal onee on a 34' boat are in the $2k range if they are any good.

Ah well down here on the SW coast of FL there are lots of boats with small windlasses that mount above the deck with spools and none of them are using cable. So I was hoping that someone here knew of the source for them as I haven't stopped one of these guys to ask about them. And the Lewmar Pro-fish 1000 I was initially considering is +/- $1K. They are used day in and day out by some of the commercial charter fishermen I know so that is a pretty good endorsement IMO.

You might try: FloridaKeyz@aol.com** In the FL Keys I've seen the type reel anchor system I think you have in mind. This fellow had a boat listed for sale not too long ago that, as I recall, had that system on it.

-- Edited by stonejd on Monday 5th of March 2012 12:45:08 PM

The Dania Flea Market starts March 15 , find a used one , .

I know, I know I've been slooooooooowly trying to recover from a dislocated rib for a couple of months and not sure if I'm up for a ride across the state tromping around a flea market all day and a ride back yet.

Muir windlasses are Australian made,long established, popular and well regarded. If you can find one at a fair price you should not be disappointed with it. BruceK

Roger that all right. I just recently had a bit of trouble after 10 trouble free years, with a Muir which is at least as old as my boat, (1975), and the local marine electrician remembered converting/modifying it to power up and down, instead of only power up, some 15 yrs ago. All it needed this time was for the armature and brushes to be cleaned I gather. Back working perfectly again.

stonejd wrote:
twisted71,

I think this is what you were looking for:

http://www.ezanchorpuller.com/products.htm
"I found a company called Muir that makes them BUT geez the price on these suckers is up there. *$2800-3K in the size I'd need."

I'll bet this unit makes that price look like a steal.* There were no prices for the unit*on the site so that tells you something.

JD, that thing is for mixed rope & chain rode anyway - you would be all chain wouldn't you..?

Peter B wrote:
JD, that thing is for mixed rope & chain rode anyway - you would be all chain wouldn't you..?
*Peter B,

Notice my comment was in "-".* It was in reference to the original poster looking for this set up but when he found something that cost over $1,000 he was worried about the price so these units were going to scare the hell out of him.

I'm not changing mine over to anything.

JD wrote:
*Peter B,

Notice my comment was in "-".* It was in reference to the original poster looking for this set up but when he found something that cost over $1,000 he was worried about the price so these units were going to scare the hell out of him.

I have a 34' 28 yr old Mainship so I don't need a $4K windlass that could double as a dragline winch. *I also tend to price shop for quite a while before I pull the trigger b/c I want the most bang for my buck for the needed usage. *An above deck spool type winch SHOULD be cheaper than the "nifty" style that feeds into the chain locker with the right angle drives and specialized cogs to grip chain and rode etc.*

The lowest cost units will simply have a rope head that you you as the power to lift the anchor.

You tail , then coil the line and stow it. Although we have a "proper" hyd windlass this is the system we use inshore.

Advantage, the line dries on the deck , , little care or attention required as the line comes in (NO JAMMING), AND THE LINE IS READY TO DEPLOY IN AN INSTANT , big difference from down the line hole.

twiisted71 wrote:JD wrote:
*Peter B,

I have a 34' 28 yr old Mainship so I don't need a $4K windlass that could double as a dragline winch. *I also tend to price shop for quite a while before I pull the trigger b/c I want the most bang for my buck for the needed usage. *An above deck spool type winch SHOULD be cheaper than the "nifty" style that feeds into the chain locker with the right angle drives and specialized cogs to grip chain and rode etc.*
*The "nifty" style is small and uses a small inexpensive motor.* The case is cheap as well.* What you are asking for needs a larger motor to turn a drum and some body is going to over load the system and then bitch that it failed so they seem to be a bit more robust. Thus cost more.

Good luck in your hunt. BTW for*a Drag line Winch one would probably have to move the decimal over one digit to $40k. *A good "nifty" windlass runs $3,400 and up.

JD wrote:twiisted71 wrote:JD wrote:
*Peter B,

*The "nifty" style is small and uses a small inexpensive motor.* The case is cheap as well.* What you are asking for needs a larger motor to turn a drum and some body is going to over load the system and then bitch that it failed so they seem to be a bit more robust. Thus cost more.

Good luck in your hunt. BTW for*a Drag line Winch one would probably have to move the decimal over one digit to $40k. *A good "nifty" windlass runs $3,400 and up.

Gosh you're right!*

I have a small drum windlass that was $425. and it seems to work fine. Pulled up a tree sized limb w no fuss. Very noisy though. Since it handles line only one must pull up the last 10 or 15 feet by hand. My anchor and chain is only about 32lbs*(no problem) but*most here will have more than that. But since these high performance anchors work so well one should need less (size/weight) of anchor. Either that or the high holding power anchors do'nt perform much better than the old guard. When I see 40' boats anchoring for several years w a 10 lb anchor then I'd be more inclined to consider the "high holding power" anchors for real. Just say'in.

nomadwilly wrote:
I have a small drum windlass that was $425. and it seems to work fine. Pulled up a tree sized limb w no fuss. Very noisy though. Since it handles line only one must pull up the last 10 or 15 feet by hand. My anchor and chain is only about 32lbs*(no problem) but*most here will have more than that. But since these high performance anchors work so well one should need less (size/weight) of anchor. Either that or the high holding power anchors do'nt perform much better than the old guard. When I see 40' boats anchoring for several years w a 10 lb anchor then I'd be more inclined to consider the "high holding power" anchors for real. Just say'in.
Nomad this is exactly what I was looking for......real experience, not a flat out there's no way and my cheap expectaions are unreasonable. *I too run a light tackle (Fortress and 25' or so of chain) so that is what my comment about not needing a dragline winch was about. *I grew up commercial shrimping/fishing along the La. gulf so I know to work my equipment smart not hard and 1. it will last a long time and 2. I won't need a hugely overengineered piece of gear. *I also don't need the Berger grade of bling on my parts or the price tag that goes with them. *My boat is for my enjoyment not to show off how much money I can spend to others, I'd much rather spend it on fuel/food!

nomadwilly wrote:
I have a small drum windlass that was $425. and it seems to work fine. Pulled up a tree sized limb w no fuss. Very noisy though.
Eric,

Is that the complete system or just the*drum setup?**Where can it be bought if at all?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom