Seatug 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gratitude

Vessel Name
Gratitude
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I will be looking at a Seatug 31 tomorrow. I currently am in a grand Banks 32. I can not find anywhere who builds the Seatug 31. Does anyone know? Thanks

Hmmm... This is the first time I have ever heard of a Seatug 31. DO you have a link to the listing?

I can send a picture and will try to send the listing
IMG_0132.JPG

I can send a picture and will try to send the listing
View attachment 92679

1988 31' Seatug. Professionally rebuilt in 2015. Lehman SP90 diesel, runs perfect, quiet, clean with no smoke, very economical to run. Bottom blasted and barrier coated, new wynne windows, new hot water heater, autopilot, vetus bowthruster, upper helm station, dual voltage refrigerator, anchor windlass with all chain. This boat has all glass decks (no teak) and are in perfect shape. Ready to cruise.

1988 31' Seatug. Professionally rebuilt in 2015. Lehman SP90 diesel, runs perfect, quiet, clean with no smoke, very economical to run. Bottom blasted and barrier coated, new wynne windows, new hot water heater, autopilot, vetus bowthruster, upper helm station, dual voltage refrigerator, anchor windlass with all chain. This boat has all glass decks (no teak) and are in perfect shape. Ready to cruise.

Sure looks similar to the Sundowner 30. The new non-wood framed windows with rounded corners give it a more contemporary look. The link to the below listing gives some comparison photos.

https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L51925873

Edit: Here is the Craigslist listing.

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/portland-31-seatug/6961312345.html

Looks like a nice boat, I wish they had more photos in the listing. The ad mentions that it is the same as a Sundowner. It has a steering station on top of the boat deck. Interesting arrangement.

Last edited:
I owned a Sundowner 32 way back when. Looks very similar. Some photos of mine and attachments that may or may not be of interest.

Attachments

• profileinwater.jpg
    profileinwater.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 90
  • bowquarterview.jpg
    bowquarterview.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Original Line Drawing Sheet.jpg
    Original Line Drawing Sheet.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 126
  • Original Text Description Bullets.gif
    Original Text Description Bullets.gif
    104.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Original Text Description.gif
    Original Text Description.gif
    84.2 KB · Views: 88
Mystery solved, the Sundowner molds were sold and used to build Seatugs. I never knew that, see below excerpt from linked article.

Chauson of Taipei, Taiwan bought the SD30 and SD36 molds in auction and during 1988 to 1990 built some more as Sea Tugs. They are also in our various Owner's sites. (SailAngle is the 3rd), About 60-65 total Sundowners/Sea Tugs were built.

https://www.sailangle.com/group-forum/topic/id/832/page/2/sort/desc

Edit: Doing a bit more research, Chauson eliminated the wood framed windows and made some interior woodwork modifications.

Last edited:
Mystery solved, the Sundowner molds were sold and used to build Seatugs. I never knew that, see below excerpt from linked article.

Chauson of Taipei, Taiwan bought the SD30 and SD36 molds in auction and during 1988 to 1990 built some more as Sea Tugs. They are also in our various Owner's sites. (SailAngle is the 3rd), About 60-65 total Sundowners/Sea Tugs were built.

https://www.sailangle.com/group-forum/topic/id/832/page/2/sort/desc

Edit: Doing a bit more research, Chauson eliminated the wood framed windows and made some interior woodwork modifications.

Thanks everyone. The information is very helpful. I have a few more pictures and will report back after seeing it today.

IMG_4423.jpgIMG_4420.jpgIMG_4446.jpgIMG_4416.jpg

Looks like they got more than the molds. A lot of the woodwork (cabinets, drawers, etc) is exactly the same as on our Sundowner 30. Has a few extra portholes, but even the door knob to the head is the same. Looks like they put up new paneling in the saloon & helm when the new windows went in.

Last edited:
Looked at the boat today. It appears to be in good shape. I am interested enough to take it the next step and have a Surveryor examine it.

You all have been very helpful. Thanks

Welcome aboard. It looks very nice, hope the survey works out for you.

By "upper helm station" do you mean an extra set of controls on the pilothouse roof, which one uses while sitting/standing on the saloon roof?

Always thought that would be a good idea on our boat...

By "upper helm station" do you mean an extra set of controls on the pilothouse roof, which one uses while sitting/standing on the saloon roof?

Always thought that would be a good idea on our boat...

Yep. The photo is copied from the Craigslist ad.

Attachments

• SeaTug 30.jpg
    SeaTug 30.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Cool, thanks.

We rummage around close to shore/rocks photographing wildlife and I miss most of the photo-opps being stuck in the pilothouse. Would also come in handy when Humpback Whales decide to come by for close & personal visits.

Very handsome vessel, and seems as though it would be efficient to run. I can see several improvements over the Sundowner, like the windows and upper controls. Never knew that the Sundowner molds were repurposed under a different brand.

Good luck with the purchase!

Two things..... looks like a wet head, which in my mind, discourages one from taking a shower and the second observation is the V-berth.

The upper steering station is basic, which as all one needs.
Over all, looks like a fantastic coastal tug.

Ah ha, I wandered over to the Sundowner owners group.
They mentioned some have a teak deck and the screws go into the balsa wood. That is sort of setting up a moisture problem with the balsa. Look for a boat w/o the teak deck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately no teak decks. Also a new fuel tank. The front cabin shows where there where leaks that have been repaired by the current owner who is a merchant mariner.

The Rest of the Story

I used to love listening to Paul Harvey growing up because you always knew you were going to learn something new at the end of his stories. I saw this red tug from the road driving past Garrison Bight Marina in Key West a few weeks ago and wondered about the origin. It was not until I started researching Gratitude's question about the Seatug 31 he was going to look at that I found out what the mystery tug was.

Seatug built several extended cockpit versions when they purchased the molds and tooling from Sundowner. It gives the tug more of a work boat look. I could see it being used for fishing or diving. The decks are fiberglass with a molded pattern. There is a small galley area in the pilothouse and I would guess a head and v-berth bunk down below.

For those of you who are familiar with Faber College, you will recognize the illustrious words of founder Emil Faber "Knowledge is good". :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom