Instant Pot in the boat galley (and PS provisioning tip)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBob

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
2018 Hampton Endurance 658
I have to say that when I first started seeing the ads for Instant Pot, it made me think of an infomercial. It's one pretty inexpensive appliance that can do it all! Well, guess what, it really can.

One of the ways I like to use it is to heat up soup that I have made. This method is so perfect for travel days.

When I was at home, I made batches of soups, chili, meatballs, etc. So in the first picture I have my Food Saver sealed chili and the IP with water in it. I generally have pulled the soup from the freezer the night before and defrosted it. But if I didn't, I'd just stick it in the pot on the "keep warm" setting for a couple hours to defrost.

Then I put the bag into the pot and put it on soup mode which will boil the water and heat the soup in the bag. I usually place the pot in the sink just in case of wake/etc.

When we are ready to eat, I cut the bag open and pour the content into bowls. I could have heated the soup in the pot itself, but this way I have no cleanup!

Now for the provisioning tip of you are around the Seattle area at the start of your cruise. From the public dock on Bainbridge Island you can walk to our awesome market, Town and Country, in three minutes. They usually have 6-8 varieties of soup/chili going that you can buy and put into a paper container to eat.

AND, they sell these same soups right next to this hot bar area, already bagged and refrigerated. They also have an awesome cioppino base where you can just added your own desired seafood. (Note they also have an even bigger store in Poulsbo, Central Market, but it's a long walk from the marina).

This is hearty and healthy food, with easy procurement and no mess prep.

Attachments

• ip-6718.jpg
    ip-6718.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 166
  • ip-6722.jpg
    ip-6722.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 167
  • ip-6728.jpg
    ip-6728.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 148
I like the Instant Pot idea. Might have to add an inverter at some point for that purpose, as running the generator for multiple hours underway just to slowly heat food seems like a waste to me.

Great comments on Instant Pot. We have one at home that we mostly use as a pressure cooker for canning fish, but I might just carry it on the boat in the future.

I like the Instant Pot idea. Might have to add an inverter at some point for that purpose, as running the generator for multiple hours underway just to slowly heat food seems like a waste to me.

Now that is a great point I failed to make, it's super inverter friendly.

I have used it in quite a few modes. I have made soup from scratch in it. You can saute your vegetables, meats, etc, then add stock and cook on soup mode. Have also pressure cooked beans, grains, and so on.

AND, home made yogurt? Yup! So freaking easy.

I carry and Instant Pot Mini on our boat and use it frequently off the inverter. At home, I saute ground turkey, onions mushroom and herbs, then vacuum seal and freeze. On the boat I throw it in the pot (thawed) with pasta and sauce and pressure cook. I do similar prep for chicken-rice dishes to finish in the IP. Great appliance.

The best cookbook I've found is "Cooking with your IP Mini" by Heather Schlueter (Amazon).

I'm a little puzzled: why it is better for heating up soup than a microwave?

In my case, our serve ware is all melamine, so not microwave friendly. But I'd use this method anyway. I like the idea it is casually bubbling away waiting for when the time is right for me. I don't have to worry about stuff sliding on a microwave glass turntable, my lunch exploding if it put it in too long, that kind of thing.

Wifey B: I think of it as a crock pot on steroids. :D

I seldom cook but hubby and I were home alone one day and he tossed in chicken breasts and some pineapple juice and in 10 minutes cooking time you could shred the chicken with forks and so tasty. Now those who do cook for us do great pot roasts and pork and stews and soups and all sorts of stuff I haven't learned. :)

We have one but are still learning cooking procedures and recipes. Like it so far, though!

We have Instant Pots at home (medium size) and on the boat (small size). Both very useful... and could likely replace our slow cookers in both places too if we needed the space. Although I can also envision very occasionally using both IP and slow cooker at the same time...

Haven't used ours on inverter yet. That time will likely come...

I've been using a pressure cooker for more than half a century or so, and the IP version is just easier for our boat situation, don't have to fire up the cooktop (with either shorepower or genset power) to use a standard pressure cooker.

-Chris

JustBob-I really appreciated your post, pics and commentary. I was wondering if and how I could use my 6 qt. I love it at home, now I can get one for the boat and use the inverter with confidence. I just love the way meats come out super tender and moist. I even make cheesecake in mine. Thanks again for a great post!

The best cookbook I've found is "Cooking with your IP Mini" by Heather Schlueter (Amazon).

Thanks for the cookbook recommendation - nice that recipes are adjusted for 3-quart/mini size. Another person gave a good tip to pre-assemble some of the base recipe ahead of time and freeze (pre-brown meat, etc.) which I did on my last trip (Stroganoff - yum!).

I used a Crock Pot for years but tossed it along with my stove-top pressure cooker. The 3-qt/Mini is a good size for 2-4 people as it keeps leftovers to a manageable size. Great for passages - fits in my galley sink so it stay's put underway, runs easily off a relatively small inverter, and doesn't heat-up galley. Total grand slam!

Great post, JB! I've been cooking on my Cuisinart pressure cooker for many years at home and love it. I've converted many family recipes to the pressure cooker. My grandfather's corn beef recipe has been adapted and comes out even better than ol' Grandad's! I've been considering one for the boat but my 6 qt is too large to store easily.

It looks like the 3 qt IP is the perfect size for my needs. And at 700W, I can run it on my 1000W inverter. Just found one online for under $17! It's on its way here now.

Bon apetit!

I got the 3 qt for my boat also (because it fits in my sink, and it's just the two of us). They have several different models to choose from (the Duo Plus is popular). However, consider the Instant Pot Ultra (the one with the knob). It allows infinite selection of heat and thus can also be used to Sous Vide (precision heat in a vacuum bag). The temperatures are accurate, critical for Sous Vide, (timing is very forgiving). There is no proper "stirrer", but I find that the water's heat is consistent throughout.

I suck at cooking/grilling, but I can Sous Vide perfectly cooked, tender, meats every time - sear on a hot grill/pan for a minute to brown (not cook) and I can't believe I made something that good.

Check out this cooking style on the web, if you're not familiar with it. I think it's very boater friendly.

Todd

I'm finally convinced that I need one. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Diesel Ducks have an engine room door in the galley. Easy to "slow cook" using the nearby engine manifold and food wrapped in aluminum foil (three layers).

There are several books on AMAZON about manifold cooking.

2006-seahorse-55lrc-george-buehler-design--13-S.jpg

Diesel Ducks have an engine room door in the galley. Easy to "slow cook" using the nearby engine manifold and food wrapped in aluminum foil (three layers).

2006-seahorse-55lrc-george-buehler-design--13-S.jpg

There used to be a cookbook for doing that in VW buses! Tried it once with a roast in a VW Thing engine compartment, but our drive must not have been long enough . . .

I think we'll stick with our Instapot(s)!:D

I have had manifold Pizza years ago on a Luhs 28 with a friend. I don't think I would want that method of cooking on a DD...Its basically camping level sustenance. Especially with a good looking,well equiped galley like that!

Last edited:

Geez! And some people don't want to run the genny to heat a pot of coffee. You don't mind running the main to slow cook!

Or maybe you mean while underway.................:lol:

Todd

Sooo, I had to get an Instant pot (3 qt) mini to see if it would improve my meager cooking skills. I think I'm really going to like this! Approved for bachelor living! Thanks for the recommendation.

Sooo, I had to get an Instant pot (3 qt) mini to see if it would improve my meager cooking skills. I think I'm really going to like this! Approved for bachelor living! Thanks for the recommendation.

Wifey B: Next, as a bachelor, you'll want a larger one and cook more and have several meals from one round of cooking. :)

I wouldn't want to poison anyone but myself with my cooking...
If a person was to make pasta and sauce on a non recipe and got some burnt areas in the inner pot, not enough water maybe?...asking for a friend..

I wouldn't want to poison anyone but myself with my cooking...
If a person was to make pasta and sauce on a non recipe and got some burnt areas in the inner pot, not enough water maybe?...asking for a friend..

Wifey B: There are a bazillion instant pot recipes and instructions online. Just google Instant Pot XXX, replacing the XXX's with the food you want to prepare. Simple enough even I can follow them. :)

Wifey B: There are a bazillion instant pot recipes and instructions online. Just google Instant Pot XXX, replacing the XXX's with the food you want to prepare. Simple enough even I can follow them. :)

Agreed about the recipes available. I bought the Heather Schlueter IP cookbook and the IP comes with a bunch of recipes too. The problem is they all love to use butter,oil or cooking spray (oil) which I'm trying to avoid. I did order another wholefood/plant based cookbook without all that. It should be here shortly. I made Vegetable based pasta with crushed tomatoes garlic,onions and some non salt spices. Not a recipe I found anywhere. Just winging it and added some water but maybe not enough?

Agreed about the recipes available. I bought the Heather Schlueter IP cookbook and the IP comes with a bunch of recipes too. The problem is they all love to use butter,oil or cooking spray (oil) which I'm trying to avoid. I did order another wholefood/plant based cookbook without all that. It should be here shortly. I made Vegetable based pasta with crushed tomatoes garlic,onions and some non salt spices. Not a recipe I found anywhere. Just winging it and added some water but maybe not enough?

I’ve run across this before...er, a friend did. Need additional liquid.

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-burn/

If you re burning a sauce....maybe too high a heat?

Sauces cant be too liquid...too much water bad sauce, too little not big deal unless part of the pot is getting too hot....when a sauce is too thick the addition of liquid is to be carefully considered....

Then again I am just a old fashioned crock pot guy..... :D

Back
Top Bottom