Rear view mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jeffnick wrote:
I have a sign on the back of the boat...it says, "I'm retired. Go around me." 'Got one on my car too. And it's rare that I have the VHF on...I had it on the other day and it didn't fit, so I left it off. You can wave or give me the finger when you pass, it's all the same to me.
Awesome.* Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw years back "I'm not in your hurry".

Oh yeah, that's right... Phil reminded me.*
confuse.gif

In addition to the huge rearview mirror we have on our Tolly Bridge... also have a nice ski mirror in our 14 foot / 50 HP tow-behind runabout!
Nothing wrong with a pilots mirror for quick checks or warnings in general!**
biggrin.gif

Phil/Fill wrote...
On the Eagle, we have a mirror in the pilot house that is for final checking our hair/make up.
bleh.gif
When out and about I use the radar which tells me what is around since we can not see in back of us. If I want to see then I have to step out side of the pilot house.Now on the run about used for play I do have a mirror, and its not used to check hair/make up as it makes you look big and distorted.
hmm.gif

Also when out an about I usually like to run just our side of the shipping channel.Most boats tend to run close to shore, so running further out you do not get many boats and waves. Lastly being a heavy, rounded hull/stern, full displacment boat we do not get knocked around much.
wink.gif

*************************** __________________
Phil/Fill

Phil, excuse the slight diversion here, but you seem not to have noticed your font size is way smaller than everybody else uses, and it's kinda hard to read, so one tends to skip over your posts a bit. You might find you get more responses it you beefed up your font size to about double what it is now. Just a suggestion...

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 15th of March 2012 08:00:21 PM

jeffnick wrote:
I have a sign on the back of the boat...it says, "I'm retired. Go around me." 'Got one on my car too. And it's rare that I have the VHF on...I had it on the other day and it didn't fit, so I left it off. You can wave or give me the finger when you pass, it's all the same to me.
*It's a shame so many people misuse the VHF that people feel the need to leave it off.

It's really useful for traffic situations (especially if monitoring/scanning 16/13) and I woulod always feel bad if I missed a mayday I could have assisted on.

It is FCC regs that you have it on and monitoring 16...but I know lots of boaters that don't.

Peter B wrote:
Phil/Fill wrote...
On the Eagle, we have a mirror in the pilot house that is for final checking our hair/make up.
bleh.gif
When out and about I use the radar which tells me what is around since we can not see in back of us. If I want to see then I have to step out side of the pilot house.Now on the run about used for play I do have a mirror, and its not used to check hair/make up as it makes you look big and distorted.
hmm.gif

Also when out an about I usually like to run just our side of the shipping channel.Most boats tend to run close to shore, so running further out you do not get many boats and waves. Lastly being a heavy, rounded hull/stern, full displacment boat we do not get knocked around much.
wink.gif

*************************** __________________
Phil/Fill

Phil, excuse the slight diversion here, but you seem not to have noticed your font size is way smaller than everybody else uses, and it's kinda hard to read, so one tends to skip over your posts a bit. You might find you get more responses it you beefed up your font size to about double what it is now. Just a suggestion...

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 15th of March 2012 08:00:21 PM
When I type a reply its normal size, but if you added as Emoticon it goes smaller.* I would go back but I don't know/see*how to change the size?*

PS* I wear 2.5 times cheater glasses.* So things look bigger.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 16th of March 2012 08:53:54 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 16th of March 2012 09:00:08 AM

Just eave out the emoticons then Phil - they may be cute, but seldom add much to the conversation. If you do feel you really must use one, then you can use 'advanced editor' and go back and highlight what you wrote and then go to the font drop-down and enlarge it again.

If you don't see a 55' sport fisher comming up on your stern then you are not keeping an efficient look out and shouldn't be out in you boat.
Go home and tie the boat up at the marina.

Tidahapah wrote:
If you don't see a 55' sport fisher comming up on your stern then you are not keeping an efficient look out and shouldn't be out in you boat.
Go home and tie the boat up at the marina.
Eyeballs, binoculars, night vision devices, radar...and even the lowly rear view mirror are only tools....can't replace common sense or vigilance...but the more tools you have at your disposal..the better off you are.

I don't have one or feel I need one...but to slam those that do is just ignorance.

Finally got around to installing this too

I bought the mirror at West Marine for $60 and made the mount out of wood. Several coats of an oil based paint, we'll see how long that lasts. I didn't want to drill holes in the aluminum hard top support.

I've used the boat a couple of times and found the mirror helpful. May install another one on the port side, we'll see.

Attachments

• P1050406.JPG
    P1050406.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
When evaluating a boat, one of the very first things I do is go to each helm, put one hand on the gear knobs and look around. I know plenty of people like them for various reasons, but I personally could never have a pilot house or other helm set up type that has restricted visibility. One of the biggest things I liked about my boat was the almost 360 degree visibility from both helms, and having a full door and side deck immediately on each side of the lower helm. Sure, radar helps a lot, but for me , it is just not the same as getting a straight visual confirmation. If you don't have that vision, I see nothing wrong in installing a rear view mirror. A buddy had one on his Maxum and it was very handy for backing into the slip, plus people who are used to using a mirror while driving a car may check them more.

As for not having the VHF on, man, that is just so wrong....

I have a camera in the radar arch. It checks all rear view plus transom and Flybridge area, very useful when crew moves around the boat, particularly kids. A second camera checks the engine room
It is possible also to connect the signal to a pc with movement detection recorder, therefore you can check what has happened if you leaved the boat going out for dinner...

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 96
Alberto. What cameras did you use with the rather good looking monitor. I could hook up cameras to my Raymarine E120, but the cost of those seem a little steep.

Alberto. What cameras did you use with the rather good looking monitor. I could hook up cameras to my Raymarine E120, but the cost of those seem a little steep.

I have two cheap camera's connected to my Ray E-90W that monitor vacuum gauges. I just bought 2 more for engine monitoring, $40 each and low light. I believe any compatible camera will work, read the instructions for your E-120.

I bought both in NY at B&H, they have a wonderful webpage.
The monitor you can see in the picture, is a HD external flat monitor for professional cameras.
The problem with the raymarine camera is the aluminium support bracket which corrodes very fast

The camera is this one:

Attachments

• camara.JPG
    camara.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 96
I find that when it looks like I might get waked, I noodle a bit, don't hold a steady course as if I have had a few beakers of beer, (I NEVER drink while operating the boat or have grand kids aboard) but the over takers need to actually take into account that I am taking up more room and they have to slow or alter course. It's particularly bad in the Copeland Islands...

The Sea Ray that passes you at 25 knots, 25 feet off your side and knocks your crap all over the cabin and hurts your crew can be filmed and charged. Then sued. Maybe you could own his boat? The law says you are responsible for your wake.

Fire hose, potato gun,

I just installed a wireless security camera system, designed for home use but chose the one with best water resistant rating for the cameras. I put 2 cameras in the ER, have one at the stern facing back (my rear view mirror if you like) and one is still lying on the counter top until I figure where to use it. They are connected to a small TV in the pilothouse. The system can record - motion detectors in the IR camera's will start recording. So if you want to know who has been visiting your dock, you can!
Digital Wireless DVR Receiver and Camera Kit - Jaycar Electronics

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom