View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #20
Xsbank
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I installed two 1.5” vents to my new tank and I use Noflex as per directions religiously. One vent is just forward of where the hull begins to taper to the bow and one is on the flat side and the side one is maybe a foot long. This provides a flow of air while I am running, from the front higher pressure area to the rear. The tank performed flawlessly although if you are collecting pee you still need Noflex!

Don’t put a vent above your transom as it will spoil your swimming activities. The fact is that you have a tank full of sewage and a happy sewage tank will smell like its full of sewage a bit, occasionally until the Noflex gets to it but if you have a healthy tank it won’t be anaerobic which REALLY stinks!

Lou, if you can get access to where you want your new vent, try using schedule 40 pipe. Its easy to use and will never permeate and you can use these great threaded/sealed joints so with a little planning you can unscrew and remove the entire octopus and remove it without tools, if you ever need to again. No more hose clamps or “5 year hose” ever again. The connectors attach to the through-hulls with threaded fittings directly.

All my plumbing is now either Pex/Sharkbite or schedule 40. I’ve done my last poop hose change and had my last plumbing leak. Now if my guest didn’t break the toilet seat I’d be done with sewage!

And a shout-out to Peggy, I attended a lecture of yours at Grand Banks Rendezvous when I had a GB and that has guided my efforts. Thank you.