1973 40 LRC, Stepped in with both feet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dolsen

Vessel Name
Dos Tortugas
Vessel Make
1973 Cheoy Lee Trawler 40
So I've done it. I have purchased my next adventure, a 1973 40 LRC trawler. Looking forward to my next refit. I'v done four refits to this point of my life, But all sailboats. Looking forward to this trawler with the goal of the loop down the road. If anyone has info on the 40 LRC as to how many were made, any diagrams, drawings etc... This would be a great help. I've got someones dream that was never completed so half the work is done. She just needs to be put back together. OK rolling up my sleeves, Let's get to it.

What type of 40 LRC? Many manufacturers make what might be called or branded as long range cruisers.

My old boat was a 1977 Marshall Californian LRC, for example.

Cheers!
-Greg

My boat is just finishing a refit and won't be until a year on the hard has past. The pain in a refit, other than the ache in the wallet, is the time away from the water. This entire summer has been a right off for me.

Hope your refit goes quickly and no tough issues arise. Live long and refit!

1973 Cheoy Lee 40 LRC

1973 Cheoy Lee 40 LRC Trawler. Wide beam, fiberglass fuel tanks 750 gal and 600 gal water. How needs a watermaker.

Those are great boats. A bunch of folks here have them and can probably be of help with specific questions. You'll also find some owners and info here:

-https://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.

If your immediate goal (besides the refit) is to do the loop, with 600 gallons already, why do you need a water maker? You may be an experienced cruiser, and I don't mean to offend or suggest otherwise, but I recommend you enjoy the boat for a while before spending a ton of money on things you may not need.

Congrats and best of luck with it and your upcoming adventures!

I agree with GregBrannon. Live with your 600 gallon water capacity for a while and then decide. It certainly is enough capacity on the Loop.

I agree with GregBrannon. Live with your 600 gallon water capacity for a while and then decide. It certainly is enough capacity on the Loop.

Perhaps it was a spelling error and meant to be tongue in cheek “who” needs a water maker.

Wow thats a lot of water!!! Good luck.:)

Yes, I would like to have that much fuel to say nothing of water...

Welcome. To add to Greg's post, the GL is full of sediment and will clog most watermakers fairly quickly. At home, I don't use 600 gallons a month. Granted I do eat out and drink bottled water because our city water makes me sick, chloramine laced. I do bathe every day and wash clothes three times a week.

If your immediate goal (besides the refit) is to do the loop, with 600 gallons already, why do you need a water maker? You may be an experienced cruiser, and I don't mean to offend or suggest otherwise, but I recommend you enjoy the boat for a while before spending a ton of money on things you may not need.

Congrats and best of luck with it and your upcoming adventures!

Welcome. We have a Cheoy Lee 40 LRC also. 1986.
Ours is twin Lehman 135 naturals. We moved aboard in February and are loving it.
Using the water tanks alone, for showers, drinking (filtered), and for the heads, we get about 2 months use. Drinking water is filtered under the sink by a 5 micron triple filter, including both geanular and block charcoal. Tastes as good as bottled.
We had a very good survey, both in quality of the surveyor, and in the short and minor list of fixits.
Ours is very maneuverable on the twin engines, even with the long keel and heavy displacement. We do have both a flybridge cover and a shade over the sundeck, so a strong following wind can pose a minor difficulty.
Do you have pictures of your beauty?
Where are you homeported?
Thanks, JohnS

Thanks John for the responses. She will be located in Hatteras Village NC. I run a Private fishing club here and the winters are cold and slow. This will be my winter project. She is currently located in Maryland where I am spending two days a week working on her. I'm on the hard and preparing the hull for new paint. My goal is mid to late oct to move her.

I've been in contact with the factory about her, Jonathan is great on quick replies and great info. Mine is a Trawler 40. There is three versions of our boats and mine was in the transition to the LRC. Vary few differences between them. Love the fiberglass tanks. And how many boats our size hold 600 Gal of water. I cruised for 7 years on a sailboat with a watermaker running every other day. Also she is built like a battleship. Vary happy with my fifth refit project. ( First MV ). I'm starting to show my age. Old sailors never die, we get Trawlers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom