Sydney To New York Non Stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I think I would rather have a stop somewhere to stretch my legs and breath at sea level.

To my mind taking a bit longer to get there is better than taking days to recover once you are there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49430711

My daughter travels several times a year from Tokyo to Baltimore. For her, jetlag is jetlag regardless of how many hours flights take. Stopping is of little benefit until the interval is measured in days. The sooner its over, the sooner you start to recover.

Ted

Had a friend have a stroke from a blood clot right after a long flight back from Australia to the US.

Doc blamed it on not excercising or "stretching".

Had a friend have a stroke from a blood clot right after a long flight back from Australia to the US.

Doc blamed it on not excercising or "stretching".

Blood clots are a problem for those flying into Bogota and Denver and other high elevation cities too. Airplane is the equivalent of 8000' and then they get no relief when landing in those areas.

I flew to Australia many long years ago. Was Charlotte to Chicago to LA and in LA boarded the final plane although we did have a brief stop in Honolulu. Let home late Wednesday morning, arrived in Sydney mid Friday morning and immediately took about a five hour nap. Time to recover as no work until Monday. Flew over Thanksgiving and had five meals but no Thanksgiving meal as we hit the time line right at midnight and went from Wednesday to Friday.

Plane was one of those designed with upstairs bar and then bar converted to another first class and I was up there and could fully recline and sleep as only 11 of us up there plus occasional pilots in the back row.

Even today's first class is nothing like that and I can only fly long distances first class due to my height. I do remember being told prior to flying to get up and walk around occasionally and did so.

Maybe some exercises in one's seat even. I don't know which would be more agony, spending 20 hours on a plane or 30 hours with three stops. Plane changes increase your chances of luggage not making it plus involve all the additional boarding and clearing. Even stepping off a continuing flight today means clearing to return to it.

I feel horrible after a 6 hour flight so really don't know that a stop or two along the way would help me. I want a day of nothing after any extended flight. I even fly at night to places like NYC as I don't like to fly in and then work or sight see. So which is worse, one long flight from he.. or three flights from the same place? That's like asking if you'd rather stick your hand in boiling water or in 212 degrees F water.

I don't enjoy flying. I don't know how all you professionals do it or did it.

You get used to long haul fairly quickly. When I was working full time I often did Brisbane -LA-Vancouver, and once a year it was onto Toronto after a couple of days in Vancouver. What I did not enjoy was arriving in LA at 6am then waiting until around midday for the Vancouver connection. I like either just a couple of hours stopover, or overnight.

Going to Europe was longer, and typically would be a short stopover in Singapore and then change to the plane that had come from Sydney or Melbourne. Onto Europe was overnight, so sleep for a lot of the hours. But I did prefer to do the single stop in Dubai. I long flight to get there, a shower, clean socks and underwear during the 2-3 hour stop and back on board for the final hop. Although that was 6-7 hours you felt as if you were almost there once in Dubai!

I had a few trips to the Azores from Brisbane. The Azores are almost at the antipode of Brisbane, so in theory you could go either west or east and it would take the same time. Normally I went west, to London, then to Lisbon where it was overnight before out to Horta the following morning. It was OK. I nice walk and some drinks and light meal at Peter's Cafe Sport overlooking the marina perked me up pretty quick.

But on one trip I went East. That was Brisbane - LA - Boston, with a quick connection in LA. Then it was overnight from Boston to Ponta Delgada which was good also. But the killer was about a 6 hour wait there for the commuter connection to Horta via Terceira. I don't remember elapsed time from home to Hotel but it would have been more than 36 hours. I only did that route once!

So, Sydney to New York non-stop? Probably OK. It all depends on who else is around you, which you have almost no control over. Someone snoring, or having the reading light on when most people want to sleep is a bit annoying. I always take an isle seat so I can move if and when I want. But how often the person next to the window wants to get past you, and when, also impacts your own sleep pattern.

I do like travel from the point of view of the places I visit, but flying to get there - no fun any more. Including the whole departure and arrival process and transport to and from the airport, I regard flying as a necessary evil to be minimised these days.

I do like travel from the point of view of the places I visit, but flying to get there - no fun any more. Including the whole departure and arrival process and transport to and from the airport, I regard flying as a necessary evil to be minimised these days.

On top of being cramped, even on many of today's first class, I also have to take Sudafed before flying to protect my ears from the congestion and fluid. Flying with my wife is certainly more pleasurable than flying alone ever was though. She can be quite entertaining. Plus flying first class with her we don't have to deal with other passengers needing in and out or any unpleasantness. Worst passengers ever to sit beside were the men who had spent the previous 3 hours in the airlines lounge. Actually my best co-passengers ever were young kids. Best ever were a 15 year old cheerleader from Arkansas on the way to NYC for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and a 10 year old boy with a Game Boy.

I actually prefer the new really long haul flights. I flew Boston to Narita direct earlier this week and it’s really no more time than LA to Narita because of the polar route from Boston. I’ve also gone Boston to Hong Kong and it’s the same with a rout almost directly over the North Pole. Flying back from Kaohsiung to Narita to Boston today.

You get used to Aussie longhaul,though I admit we do it up the front. I wouldn`t countenance it in Economy/Coach.
I`d just read Qantas was waiting on the even longer haul 777 version still in development for scheduling these flights, and or the A350-1000. The 777 is apparently delayed while some issues are resolved (on it or the 737), so it`s a surprise to me.
I keep an eye on Qantas. Their profit dropped 17% this year due largely to fuel and foreign exchange costs but they still made about $1.3Bn AUD.

I have done a number of long distance flights: LA to Singapore- 17 hrs, NYC to Tokyo- 14 hrs. As others have said, once you cross ten or more time zones, jet lag is jet lag.

You read, you eat and you sleep whether for ten hours or twenty hours. Now admittedly this was all business class. I did one long leg from Santiago to Miami, about nine hours in coach. Never again.

David

Fear not folks , work is progressing on new SST aircraft. Maybe a decade or so.

Wont be a cheap "roach coach" seat , but 1/3 the flight time to 1/5 may be possible.

Fear not folks , work is progressing on new SST aircraft. Maybe a decade or so.

Wont be a cheap "roach coach" seat , but 1/3 the flight time to 1/5 may be possible.

Guess you didn't see the headlines, AOC and some of the 2020 Dem hopefuls are going to be outlawing fossil fuel by 2030. No more high speed air travel.

New planes to be powered by solar panels. :rolleyes::rofl:

Ted

Guess you didn't see the headlines, AOC and some of the 2020 Dem hopefuls are going to be outlawing fossil fuel by 2030. No more high speed air travel.

New planes to be powered by solar panels. :rolleyes::rofl:

Ted

New planes to be powered by 'hot air'...trawlerforum rumoured to become a major supplier ?

" to be powered by 'hot air'."

At least AOC will be warm , while waiting for the subway to Paris!

Back
Top Bottom