Prerkins sae or metric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

Might seem like a stupid question but asking anyways...just bought a boat with a Perkins 6-3544 and will not see it again till next spring. Want to start putting together a tool kit for it and it occurred to me that it was built in the uk..hence the question is it metric or sae. Thanks

Greetings,
Mr. cb. Don't know the specific answer BUT you can usually get by with an SAE tool set with the addition of: 10mm, 13mm and 17mm sockets/wrenches to augment the SAE set. LONG time to wait...

200.webp

Greetings,
Mr. cb. Don't know the specific answer BUT you can usually get by with an SAE tool set with the addition of: 10mm, 13mm and 17mm sockets/wrenches to augment the SAE set. LONG time to wait...

200.webp
Yup what he said,plus I just bought a set of SAE line wrenches for fuel lines.

I don’t know about Perkins but my Lehmans were also built in England and is mostly SAE but it does have a couple of metric things on it. Of course...

2x6.354M
2x6.354MGT
1X4.107

...that I've owned, all SAE, as were other similar Perkins in other boats I've worked on.

Having said that, my metric set still gets plenty of use on the boat!

Greetings,

200.webp

Thanks RT,
I always knew there were several that worked fine.
10,13 and 17. Got it. Gotta put a note in my garage.

The guy I bought my boat from said there neither metric nor sae, but some kind of British unit that I cant remember the name of. I use regular sae tools on my Perkins, no probs.
Edit: I found what he called the British unit: Fractional inch. But, these engines are used worldwide so there can be sae, metric used when marinizing the engines.

Last edited:
Wrench Standards

The Brits also have (had?) a wrench standard called Whitworth. I have a set of open ends and sockets I used back in the day on my motorcycle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom