Holding tank smell after pump out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallas

Vessel Name
Maravida
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Eastbay 43 FB
Forward head issue... I pumped out and then after the Jabsco model 37010 electric head smelled awful. I looked and no water in bowl so I flushed a few times and the water didn’t stay in the bowl so smell continued. I covered with scran wrap and that stopped smell. Now 6 hours later took scran wrap off and no smell

Would the joker valve being bad make this happen?

I did two things different this pump out that I never did before (never had this issue)

I had my wife flush both toilets during pump out (very full) and then i added the blue packet of tank cleaner and the macerator chopped that up and the toilet was very blue. Do you think the membrane material on the blue packet held something open till it dissolved?

Any ideas on what I should do? It’s working fine now....

Thanks

Welcome aboard. I would change the joker valve since it is easy to do. Peggie will find this thread sometime and will give the best advice.

Thanks, I did order a new joker valve, just don’t understand why it’s working fine now...maybe filling up the lines worked? I ordered Peggy’s book also

The forward head in our boat had a smell pretty much all the time when we bought it. It was the joker valve which is why I suggested changing it. My heads don’t retain water after flushing either but I don’t get a smell.

Hi Dallas...welcome to the Trawler Forum...and thanks for buying my book!

There are 3 possible sources for your odor: 1. Your toilet is a sea water toilet, and the micro (and not so micro) organisms in sea water left to sit and stagnate in the toilet intake, pump and channel in the rim of the bowl can make the first flush or two after the boat has sat for a few days stink enough to knock you off your feet. It goes away until the next time the boat sits unused even for a day or two.
2. Waste left in the toilet discharge line due to insufficient rinsing behind flushes (usually due to a desire to prevent filling up the tank with flush water)...and 3. odor from the tank leaking back into the toilet through a worn joker valve that can no longer close tightly.

Not much you can do to prevent #1...but a new joker valve will keep the odor from getting back into the bowl from the tank and hoses. Flush about a quart of clean fresh FRESH water down the toilet once daily and before leaving the boat to rinse out the discharge line. Joker valve should be replaced at least annually.

Sea water mineral buildup can reduce hose diameters...you'll want to check your toilet discharge hose for that when you replace the joker valve. A cupful--2 at most--of distilled white vinegar flushed down the toilet every couple of weeks, followed by about a quart of clean FRESH water after about 45 minutes will prevent it. If there is a buildup in the line, we'll discuss the cure.

When my book arrives I suggest you spend a little time reading the chapters on holding tank maintenance and odor out the vent. Meanwhile, stop using that gawdawful "blue stuff" and start using No-Flex Digestor Noflex Digestor in the tank!

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom