Second HIN placement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgano

Guru
Vessel Name
FROLIC
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
While hunting around for the HIN on an old sailboat, I got to wondering about the supposedly secret place manufacturers placed a second HIN. Was this practice followed by all makers, and was it done for all sizes or just easily stolen boats?

My secondary HIN is in my engine room on a spar.

My last boat a 37' Silverton Convertible had it glassed on a 3x5 card, glassed on the inside of the transom in an inconspicuous spot.

I have owned at least ten boats over my lifetime and I never found a secondary HIN. USCG document number, yes but no HINs.

David

My Catalina sailboat had a 2nd HIN glassed to a bulkhead. You had to know where to look..

My last boat was built before the standardization of hin numbers. It now has two hin #’s. The original molded into the hull and its new number engraved right below the original.

Builders hid the second HIN to help in identifying a stolen boat. The thief wouldn’t have know where to look for it. LE would call the builder to find out where to look for it. A stolen boat could have had the outside HIN changed but the inside one would be proof it was stolen.

I found the one in my last boat. I found it accidentally when I was replacing water fill and pump out hoses to the deck fittings. It was glassed into the hull on the starboard quarter.

I have yet to find the one on my current boat, but honestly, I haven't looked.

Back
Top Bottom