View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
twiisted71
Guru

RE: Windlass on Mainship I, II, or III

Quote:
JD wrote:twiisted71 wrote:JD wrote:
*Peter B,

Notice my comment was in "-".* It was in reference to the original poster looking for this set up but when he found something that cost over $1,000 he was worried about the price so these units were going to scare the hell out of him.
I have a 34' 28 yr old Mainship so I don't need a $4K windlass that could double as a dragline winch. *I also tend to price shop for quite a while before I pull the trigger b/c I want the most bang for my buck for the needed usage. *An above deck spool type winch SHOULD be cheaper than the "nifty" style that feeds into the chain locker with the right angle drives and specialized cogs to grip chain and rode etc.*
*The "nifty" style is small and uses a small inexpensive motor.* The case is cheap as well.* What you are asking for needs a larger motor to turn a drum and some body is going to over load the system and then bitch that it failed so they seem to be a bit more robust. Thus cost more.

Good luck in your hunt. BTW for*a Drag line Winch one would probably have to move the decimal over one digit to $40k. *A good "nifty" windlass runs $3,400 and up.

Gosh you're right!*
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote