On your boat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RArmstrong

Veteran Member
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there anybody in or near Texas that would take me out on your trawler for a day or two and let me see if the reality is anywhere near as cool as the "dream"? I'd be happy share expenses or to pay a reasonable price to find out. A day or two would help me decide if I really want to do this before I actually BOUGHT a 36-44 foot boat!

An hour or so aboard someone else's boat won't begin to tell you if the reality is as cool as the dream (it is for some, not for others). First read Boat Search 101 on this forum.

Then charter a couple of times. Yes it will cost some bucks but a bad boat purchase decision will cost much, much more. Southwest Florida Yacht Charters in the Ft Myers area is one. Anacortes Yacht Charters in the PNW is another. If you don't have experience running a decent size boat you may have to use a captain for a day or two but that is part of learning.

David

I'm not talking about an hour. But I am talking about a trip. I have had 11 boats and NONE of them were ever the one to end all. I know if I had a good sized boat (36 foot "ish") and somebody wanted to go out and share fuel costs and work I'd be interested in arranging something. But I am not interested in, or can I afford a charter for 7 days and $5000! I did have a "pocket" trawler though.

...But I am not interested in, or can I afford a charter for 7 days and $5000! I did have a "pocket" trawler though.

Uh oh. If you can't afford a charter, not sure you can afford a big(ish) boat. Seriously though, I think David is right. We charter with another couple most years, San Juan Charters and Nanaimo in the past. Yes, the price tag is pretty expensive but if you split it with another couple it's not too much more expensive than your average cruise or vacation. Planning trips, planning fuel and food and marina stops, following buoys and nav aids and reconciling paper charts and electronic displays with what you actually see ahead, anchoring, jockeying into new marinas, dancing around the weather, living in tight quarters (they say a boat shrinks two feet per day on a longer trip), being stuck below in a long rain -- all that will tell you if it's really your thing. And of course we all joke about the cost of boating, but it really is a badly expensive activity so you do have to be prepared and able to eat the bills. Not for the faint of heart, or those with skinny wallets. (Yes, I know, some people are able to do it on a shoestring but I think that's rare, and to me there's nothing like a nice marina with a good restaurant and nice showers after a long nasty day. We all have our own tolerances though.)

$5000 is a big chunk toward a $50,000 boat! And for just 5-7 days? No, I'll pass. One of my problems is my family has no interest in living or extended stays on a boat so most of the time I will be alone. I would welcome a person or two that just wanted to crew and share expenses. As long as they are clean, sober (relatively) and polite!

Hard to make that commitment without meeting someone first.

Sort of. I would take just about anybody out with $100 for fuel for an afternoon on the ICW. But I would like to get to know them pretty well prior to even a single overnight.

$5000 is a big chunk toward a $50,000 boat! And for just 5-7 days? No, I'll pass. One of my problems is my family has no interest in living or extended stays on a boat so most of the time I will be alone. I would welcome a person or two that just wanted to crew and share expenses. As long as they are clean, sober (relatively) and polite!

We don't know you're clean, sober or polite. However, I do understand what you're looking for. One issue people face in accepting money from you is they could be operating an illegal charter, so they must be careful in that regard.

I'm more worried about what you way about family. I don't know your age or your family, but how much time do you currently spend away from them? We have people here who cruise without spouses and without adult children, but I'd think if your kids are not adults, it would be very hard to be away.

You say you've owned many boats. Which have you enjoyed most. Is a long range cruising boat really right for you and your family or might a day boat locally be better? How much boating do you anticipate in a year?

After 20 years in the military it doesn't take me long to figure out of one is "clean, sober and polite". We're pulling up to the fuel dock. Time to pitch in. As far as I know pooling money for groceries and fuel is still legal. Well, at least for now. Taking somebody out on the boat has never been much different than going anywhere else. Guests are guests and crew is crew.

Owning a “big” boat is a commitment. The maintenance hours alone can consume you. For me, it’s my greatest passion and I love working on her not to mention taking her out for long hauls.

It’s expensive even doing 99% of the work myself including engine work.

I wouldn’t trade it for anything!!

An hour or so is not going to prepare you for monthly, weekly or daily upkeep. Rent a trawler if that is available in your area or go to a marina and talk to some owners. Most owners including myself love to talk about their “big” boats!

Wishing you well on your hunt!

Sort of. I would take just about anybody out with $100 for fuel for an afternoon on the ICW. But I would like to get to know them pretty well prior to even a single overnight.

These people are trying to tell you something important. Pay attention. If you are considering a major investment in an activity you or your family are not committed to, a week-long recreational charter is chump change.

Prorate it: A novel vacation for the whole family = $3k or so. Educational experience to avoid colossal mistake =$2k. A bargain!

"$100 for fuel" marks you as someone to be avoided.

Last edited:
"$100 for fuel" marks you as someone to be avoided. " How so? When I pulled up to the fuel docks $100 was about a quarter of the bill for a Saturday. If I had three other guys and their girlfriends $100 each was just what it worked out to as an example.

If you're willing to spend $50K on a boat, you better have $8-15K per year to support it. If you can't do that, or close to it, you'd do yourself a favor by not getting a big boat.

It ain't for the faint of heart....but there's nothing better!

JHMO

You are inexperienced in trawlers so you came here for advice....

You got very consistent advice from people who are experienced.....

I hope you use it well and find a boat that will make you and your family happy.

You all kind of seem to be missing my point of what I am really saying. I just still think there must be a retired person like me out there, somewhere, between 50 and 70 years old saying "I'd take the boat out tomorrow, but don't have anybody to go with" that I could get in contact with, go out with them, share some expenses with and learn a little from. When I had my Mast and Mallet there were times I said it, and if I do get another boat in the future I'm betting I'll say it again.

Currently there are four guys on earth whose skills I trust enough to run my boat, either with me or by themselves. My friend Mike in Alaska who was in the mechanical engineering program with me at UAF; my dock neighbor Dave who is the best boat mechanic and power driver I've ever known; my chartering friend Peter in Scottsdale; and probably AlaskaProf on this forum. Maybe it's just me but

(Fat fingers, sorry, to finish:) ...[but] I think casual boat-ride drop-ins don't happen very much because a lot of boaters are far more cautious than that with our big investments, closely surrounded by other boaters' big investments.

There are some sailboat forums out there where people look for crew, I guess. And, I've seen people post their availability as "able body" crew on the bulletin board at my marina looking for free weekend rides, but I can't say I know anyone who has grabbed their cards.

But, I guess what it comes down to for me is this, out on the water I'm surrounded on in all directions by a substance incompatible with human life, in a situation with many variables, and with no way to escape those aboard -- and a lot of responsibility for them, as it turns out.

Most friends, family, and neighbors can come with me any time I go out -- no charge, no splitting gas, no nothing. I value good company. Even friends of friends are often welcome. And, for me, I'm burning the diesel whether I have company or not -- I am fortunate in that sense -- so I don't want money.

I'll invite strangers ogling my boat from the dock (my boat is in a tourist area) up and in to take a look. Chat with them for a few minutes about boating. Maybe even offer them a beer.

But taking people I totally don't know and have no connection to out on the water? Not for me. It isn't that I don't like meeting new people. And, it isn't that I don't enjoy good company while underway. Boating is a social sport. But, there are plenty of ways I meet new people that don't involve that stuck together on a 150 sq-ft isolated island thing. And, I suspect most feel the same way.

I spent last Saturday helping an old dock neighbor who just bought a boat get some basic electrical systems and bilge pumps working. I spent a good chunk of Sunday crawling around my old boat, now in the care of some really nice folks, take care of some maintenance that was inaccessible to them after a leg injury. I spent the evening enjoying drinks and dinner with them. A few weeks before that I spent until 3AM helping a dock neighbor get an older autopilot working before he did a 3 day trip after the contractors he hired basically weren't interested in something from that era. A couple days before that I was on a neighbor's inflatable hopping sand bars in the gulf of mexico. (Can you tell I have a transmission out for rebuild?) When I had a boat berthed in LA I'd round up anyone on the dock and their friends for a trip to Catalina once a month or so.

Why not buy a really small, inexpensive boat that you can single hand. Think about a small sailboat, maybe. Keep it at a marina. Take it out and enjoy it. Invite your neighbors. Go out, drop anchor and grill. Do some light fishing. Go to the local boat-up restaurant. Or, depending upon where you are in the country take it up onto the sandbars their bigger boats can't reach and have some drinks. Help them with their boat projects on weekends.

You'll make some new friends. Learn a ton. And, I bet you'll get invited onto a lot of boats for a beer or whatever. Eventually, you might get invited on some trips. As long as you are there to have a good time, make friends, enjoy the company, and be a neighbor to your neighbors, it'll be worth it to you if boating is. (Of course, if you show up, troll the docks, and look for a ride -- not sure you'll have as much fun).

Boating is a welcoming, neighborly community. At least in my experience. It is just boats can also be small places, especially with personalities.

"$100 for fuel" marks you as someone to be avoided. " How so? When I pulled up to the fuel docks $100 was about a quarter of the bill for a Saturday. If I had three other guys and their girlfriends $100 each was just what it worked out to as an example.

Obviously, you don't have a trawler traveling at six or seven knots. A hundred dollars buys me more than 16 hours with $4-per-gallon diesel.

Last edited:
No I don't. But with any boat that burns gas or diesel it's nice to have somebody share expenses.

It's not like I've never had a boat. Heck, I've even taking Power Boat Courses in Baltimore back in 1990. I've had 4 sail boats 16-26 ft. 2 small motorboats with out board motors. 2 pontoon boats 22 and 25 feet. 2 26ft power boats on with an outboard and the other an I/O. And until last year a 24ft Pocket Trawler built on the Atkins Yacht Builder's plan "Martha Green" buy Mast and Mallet (one of their very early boats) with a Danish BUKH diesel engine. Just wanting to learn more.

It's not like I've never had a boat. Heck, I've even taking Power Boat Courses in Baltimore back in 1990. I've had 4 sail boats 16-26 ft. 2 small motorboats with out board motors. 2 pontoon boats 22 and 25 feet. 2 26ft power boats on with an outboard and the other an I/O. And until last year a 24ft Pocket Trawler built on the Atkins Yacht Builder's plan "Martha Green" buy Mast and Mallet (one of their very early boats) with a Danish BUKH diesel engine. Just wanting to learn more.

Gee, seems like you've enough experience now to make a decision. Had less, but made a sound decision, nevertheless. Still, don't get more boat than you need.

Last edited:
Teaching people what I know is one of my greatest pleasures in life. Until just a couple months ago if one of you knocked on my door and said "I couldn't help but notice you have about 60 of the nicest Black Lowline Angus cows in your pasture. Could you teach me to raise them?" and I would have said "More like 59 cows and one fancy pure bred bull. Be here ate 5:30 in the morning ready to learn. Wear good boots. You don't need to bring work gloves because I buy them by the case". Some of you seem actually mad I would dare ask to crew on a boat in exchange for knowledge. If that offends you I apologize. I'm just a simple guy with simple ideas. Labor and cost sharing in exchange for learning.

This is a weird thread. Most if not all captains on this forum are not looking for strangers to come on their boats for a day, or an hour. And I think I can speak for all, or almost all, we are not looking for an extra deck hand, and if we were, we would ask someone we know or hire a professional. Our boats are our 2nd or primary homes, not just a boat. And when someone on the dock or at a restaurant wants to talk and learn, we share. And when a new boat owner shows up at the dock, we love to share our knowledge, helping the new owner have the best experience possible. We are not snobs and we are not unfriendly, but we don’t take strangers for rides on our boats for 5 minutes, let alone a day or more. I am not trying to be rude. I hope this helps put your request into perspective for you.

Last edited:
Did I say "feed my animals"? I said raise Lowline Angus Cattle. There is a difference and it takes about 20 years to learn it all. Kind of like a boat, unless somebody takes a liking to you and teaches you.

Buy a trawler and learn. Trawlers hold their value. If you don’t like it, sell it.

Also, assuming you are really in Mena, aren’t you land locked? Good night.

Some of you seem actually mad I would dare ask to crew on a boat in exchange for knowledge. If that offends you I apologize. .

No, you're missing the point. For some sharing of fuel or $100 you're thinking I'm going to invite a total stranger to join me and my family or other guests. Oh, Friend Carmen, this is Armstrong joining us. I don't really know him.

Oh, Carmen, feel free to slap the h... out of him for saying that to you.

See, on our boat we have females wearing very little. I don't know how you'll behave. I don't know you. You may be the nicest most courteous man in the world, but they're likely to be uncomfortable.

Now, you want training. That generally goes for anywhere from $500-800 a day with those who charge for it. You don't want to pay for a charter, but instead pay $100. That's fine, but then you are getting upset and acting like the forum members are bad people because they're not running to take you up on your offer.

My wife and I are very private people. We have our friends and family but we remain mostly incognito outside that group. You may think it's unfriendly, but we're just not going to invite a stranger to join us for a day on our boat.

Also, keep in mind that most forum members are not even in your area.

Perhaps spend time here, then fly to Ft. Pierce for the gathering next February and meet people you've made friends with here. They'll invite you aboard their boats and perhaps when the gathering is over, one will even invite you to join them for a day and they'll likely do it without accepting money. After they know you, after you're a friend.

I also think your purpose won't work. In one day on a boat as a passenger you're not going to learn whether it's cool or not. Yes, it's cool to take a free or cheap boat ride, but what about maintaining the boat, the costs of boating,

Paying for fuel isn't sharing expenses. Paying toward the cost of the boat and the slip and maintenance is. Fuel is such a minor expense in the total picture.

Now, you keep talking without listening and I asked you some questions earlier that I thought might help move this discussion forward. You chose to ignore them but instead go off about your 20 years in the military and something about guests are guests and crew is crew (well, parts is parts but I have no idea the relevance) and taking someone out on a boat is no different than going anywhere else (oh for the record I don't invite strangers to go anywhere else with me).

If you want help in figuring out if a trawler might be right for you, then discuss, but if all you want is a cheap day on the water with strangers, it's not going to likely happen.

... An hour or so is not going to prepare you for monthly, weekly or daily upkeep. Rent a trawler if that is available in your area or go to a marina and talk to some owners. Most owners including myself love to talk about their “big” boats!

Wishing you well on your hunt!

Renting a trawler will also not "prepare you for monthly, weekly or daily upkeep". All but the most basic stuff will be taken care of for you. You will only need to do the minimum daily stuff that cannot be deferred. Everything else will be done by the charter company before you take it out and after you return. That's a good part of what you are paying for, having someone else do all the work.

Safely esconced on the other side of the Pacific,I don`t think RArmstrong`s request is so outrageous. He`s owned boats and wants to experience a trawler first hand with an experienced owner. I might be more offended by the offer to contribute to fuel. Yes, you might want to check first that he showers regularly etc, but he`s not exactly asking for the sun moon and earth.
How helpful it will be is another issue, but he won`t know that until it happens.

Back
Top Bottom