We've been adopted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had my mind set that we would not get a dog until after oursummer-long trip to Canada was done.

IN to Canada with a pet is a snap, but the USA wants paperwork for shots to be months in advance. Be Prepared

I didn't see this post when it first came out - nice work!!!

There is a saying in the dog training world - "either you are training the dog or the dog is training you." So true.

Glad you didn't let some one else adopt the dog. In your dog's mind, he will be eternally yours, they know when they've gone from a very bad situation to a better life and pay you back with love. You made the rescue, you should reap the rewards.

Thanks for all the great comments. I watched "Grace's" video and noticed quite a resemblance between Sailor and Grace. Both are Labs (Sailor by way of a loose morals German Shepherd). Grace can swim, Sailor hasn't learned that yet. Both "talk".

Tina walked Sailor down to the river this morning and he was stung several times by a trio of Yellowjackets. He rolled on the ground, screamed like a baby then ran for home. She said he run full speed to get home, then when she got home she hosed him off to stop the pain.

This evening he's showing no ill effects. Maybe now he won't be to quick to chase bees, flies and anything else that moves through the air.

Mike,

Patche’s is sitting here with me as I read your post. She said a new picture is in order, what’s to be assured Sailor isn’t getting fat and lazy! LOL

Mike,

Patche’s is sitting here with me as I read your post. She said a new picture is in order, what’s to be assured Sailor isn’t getting fat and lazy! LOL
i'll take a pic this weekend and post it. As to the "getting fat and lazy", none of us is. He gets down to the river with one of us on the other end of the leash at least 3-4 times a day, and we've cut back on his food.

He wakes me about 3:30 to get up, then he doesn't want out, he just wants more food. Stoopid dog!

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. "...he just wants more food. Stoopid dog!" I refer you to your own words in post #25:

-He’s very smart
-He’s tricky
-He’s a very quick learner.

Now, THOSE comments I agree with. "stoopid"? Not so much. As I noted in post #28, it seems Sailor is well along to having YOU trained!

We've had hounds as our last three rescues. VERY food oriented BUT we stick to a 07:00 hrs and 16:00 hrs feeding times. IF it's not time to eat the command "It's not time to eat yet, go lie down". They eventually came around and learned.

Another useful technique is to have them "do their business" on command. Especially useful on longer car trips where one doesn't want to hang around any longer than necessary at a "pit stop". Enjoy and "Sit GFC, sit...Stay".

Wife: darling I think the dog is going deaf.

Husband: don't be ridiculous, he is fine. Here watch... Buster... SIT!

Husband: OK, l'll clean that up dear.

Greetings,
Mr. m.

giphy.gif

Pretty much all our dogs were "rescues",but as were involved in a German Shepherd Training Group over years we acquired some that were less rescue than expected. The amazing thing was that as they got to know you they gave more and more. And bonded for life,like they had always been with you. Taking on a rescue, especially one that chooses you (though I think choice is really mutual)is very rewarding. We don`t have a dog these days, but if we go again, probably smaller like a Jack Russell,I`d have no hesitation checking out "rescues".

I have been "acquainted" with a Jack Russel or three, and I know I couldn't handle one of those cute balls of energy. Same for border collies - they have to be run and run and will drive you nuts if not. At this point in life I would look for an older slower dawg, like me.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom