Refresh biocide ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trawler_traveler

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shiplet
Vessel Make
382 Diesel Duck
Should one re-add biocide to diesel that has been sitting for a year since the last biocide treatment or does the biocide stay effective indefinitely ?

Thanks,

-Sven

I would retreat after one year.

I think most biocide is effective one year.

Cheap insurance.

Last edited:
I have not refueled this year since I want to run the fuel level down to replace a fuel tank. I will still treat the fuel at the end of the season.

Good idea, but how to mix it through the fuel?
Refueling, I add the magic additive and then pump in the diesel so it gets mixed in, but what method works with a refresh? Maybe dilute it into 10 liters and add that?

Posting this as point of interest and for verification, not as fact. Way back when, I was told that regular gas is more poisonous than biocide and would serve the same purpose.

Ever heard such a thing? Is it so?

The story was that, a couple times a year, old timers would add a gallon of regular to their diesel.

Today's gas is not the same batch of chemicals. If I did this I would definitely use the alcohol-free gas. Still wouldn't feel good about it.

Posting this as point of interest and for verification, not as fact. Way back when, I was told that regular gas is more poisonous than biocide and would serve the same purpose.

Ever heard such a thing? Is it so?

The story was that, a couple times a year, old timers would add a gallon of regular to their diesel.

Today's gas is not the same batch of chemicals. If I did this I would definitely use the alcohol-free gas. Still wouldn't feel good about it.
I'd be reluctant to add gas to my diesel tanks for several reasons.[emoji51] Other than the obvious safety aspect, today's US diesel has lower lubricity than ever before....thinning your diesel down even more won't be a friend to your injector pumps.[emoji33]

Good idea, but how to mix it through the fuel?
Refueling, I add the magic additive and then pump in the diesel so it gets mixed in, but what method works with a refresh? Maybe dilute it into 10 liters and add that?

I think that would work.

I think that if you pour biocide into the tank, it would over time get mixed with boat motion.

I run the priming/balancing pump to circulate the fuel after adding biocide.

A polishing system would do the same thing.

I try to use up fuel by the end of the boating season and keep less than 50 gallons over the winter, until I purchase fuel in the spring.

The big fear with an old diesel fuel tank is crud breaking loose and screwing up the fuel system.

Adding a solvent like gasoline will speed up the process of breaking loose the dead bugs and asphaltine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom