Original delivery of the Taiwanese trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn_Q

Vessel Name
Iris
Vessel Make
Sea Ranger 46
Given the ubiquitous presence of the Taiwanese trawler in North America, I got to wondering how they all got over here. Did they use an early version of the ship-shipping ship? Few, if any, had enough fuel capacity to cross on their own...

I’m curious if there are any original owners or brokers who know.

TIA

Greetings,
CQ. Just a WAG but they probably came over as cargo on a plain, old, regular freighter. Either stowed below or on deck.

Some of the hulls stack like coffee cups. Then are assembled here.

Most came as deck cargo since with some smaller shipping companies the captain was allowed to sell the space.

Delivery times were seldom part of the purchase contract .

I talked to a gentleman one time that did the prep work for the Marine traders in Toms River New Jersey. He said that those boats were shipped over on teak cradles back in the day. He told me he made more money recycling the teak then he did installing the flybridge and rigging

Our Jefferson was built in Taiwan and brought over by cargo ship to New Orleans where a delivery captain picked it up and brought it to the company's main office. We have the original delivery paperwork.

John

Original owner told me ours came over as deck cargo
Kaohsiung to Vancouver.

Considering the deck issues they have, maybe they came over as deck cargo on submarines, along with Alfa Romeo cars.

I was contracted in the early 2000's to commission a few new boats from China. They arrived as deck cargo in Tacoma. They craned the boat off the deck, directly into the water. I was waiting alongside, with the boats importer, climbed aboard to make sure there was no leaking and towed the boat to a marina. The customs people were waiting at the marina.

The other option was to unload onto land first then launch. A lot more expensive.

Considering the deck issues they have, maybe they came over as deck cargo on submarines, along with Alfa Romeo cars.
All these years I thought that it was oil leaking out of the Alpha’s.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom