Mainship 40 Double Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't like gas....goes boom too easily. 35 years old? You are going to be replacing lots of engine "stuff".

b

I am 74, new to boating and thing about purchasing a 1984 Mainship 40
Double Cabin. It is equipped with twin Crusader 350 engines. Initially, I plan to use the boat for local cruising,but eventually want to take extended trips down to Florida and the Carribean.

My question is whether or not this is too much boat for a newbie.

Additionally, does anyone know if this is a full or partial displacement hull?
How will it handle in open water?

All advice and opinions are welcomed.

Just for context, I'm a fit 59 yr old engineer with a broad set of mechanical, electrical and wood working skills (as most experienced boaters have) and my 1982 diesel single engine trawler often taxes me to the limit mentally, physically and financially. So at 74 yrs old, I definitely think the boat you are considering is a lot more than you should take on. First of all, I think twin engines are not the best option - twice the cost and time for maintenance, and half the space to get at them (at least the outboard sides). As other members have suggested, with your age and experience I would look for a single engine diesel boat in the 28 - 32 ft range. A bow thruster would be nice but this can be added later without breaking the bank. Try to buy a bit newer if you can afford it because any 1984 vintage boat is going to require a lot of work. I bought my 1982 trawler in 2005 and since then I have put well over $50k into her and at least 2000 - 3000 hrs of work. And if I didn't have the skills and every tool known to man, then both those numbers would be a lot higher. I knew what I was getting into and have enjoyed the process but as a new boater that level of effort and expense may come as bit of a shock.

Best of luck with your choice.
Jeff

Listen to Jeff. I have 78 40' Bluewater Pilothouse trawler with 2 Lehmans, new gen set, etc. I am 71, a licensed Professional Engineer and do forensic investigations for building issues and have lots of skills. Luckily, I have every installation and operating manual for every thing installed on this boat and she is in excellent condition. And it still taxes me at times. Spend a little more money and enjoy life. Also, my best accessory on Monarch III is the ice machine. Make sure you get one. :)

I'm also with the single engine diesel crowd and a newer boat. Just go up a few years and get a MS 390.... or the 340 or 400. All good boats, easy to single hand.

While the twin will cost you no more in fuel, and less than double in maintenance, some of the installs are pretty hard to get down there for maintenance and that's a major issue.

Some of the "musts"

1. Get a diesel.... no doubt about it!
2. For single handling, get one that's easy to get around, lower helm door.
3. NO ladders, get stairs.
4. With a single, get a thruster. I know the purests will say you don't need one, but buying it with the boat is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, and YES, you'll find it extremely handy.

5. Whatever boat you get, hire a captain that knows your boat to train you. Practice for awhile, and go back with him to brush up on what you forgot.
6. Have fun!

The difference in a 35 to 45 ft boat single handling is minimal. However, if your boating is absolutely minimal, rent a small boat (25 ft or so) and get some training on basic boat ops, wx, regs, limits, etc., etc. And take the online Boat US course (do it regardless).

And FWIW...... Just sold my twin engine gasser, no fresh water cooling, 2003 model. Great boat, but comparing it with my 40ft the maintenance, unexpected and regular was WAY more than the trawler. And the mileage WAY worse... and it was half as big. (however, fun)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom