23' trailer cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I take it that you think I currently cannot see at the helm. I have full visibility over the bow in broad daylight now, even with the appearance of bow up, if that's what you are thinking. I welcome anyone a ride too, even though your hair may get a bit messed up with the front window open.:D:thumb:.

and in the fog?

and in the fog?
Anyone that runs like that in the fog deserves to do damage to boat and persons, radar or not. I guess I need to play the lottery, as I LUCKY enough to make it just fine in the intense fog for 8 days recently. So no radar is in the future for THIS boat. That's a dead horse. But keep beating it if you wish. :facepalm::thumb: Or I guess I could make this a dock queen when fog is present like some fair weather sailors, you know.

Last edited:
For kicks now that we have decided that I need a radar, [not]:D I took some pictures today looking forward, side and out back. For anyone with a lick of knowledge about how certain bottoms act in the water, you can see the wake or the lack of wake as the boat is on top of the water.

If the boat was plowing, you would see waves equivalent to ones that you can surf. This boat has none of it.

This boat planes on top of the water and fairly level, just off level with the waterline. The forward water line is shown on the running shot if you look closely.

My visibility from the helm, even with the three window set up and bow pulpit still allows me to see the water approx. 10 feet ahead of the bow. See the gentle wave breaking off the bow. A boat coming up on my port bow is easily seem too.

And anyone wanting to be critical of the unfinished wood, I will be changing the plexiglass to safety glass over the fall. So they are not finished trim.

Like I said anyone wanting a ride and wear a hat, well turn the silly thing around if you stand behind the center window when its opened. :p

So how was all of you guys day? :whistling:

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I left out the wonderful Bahama's like water that the SWMBO and I anchored up in and had lunch, all by ourselves:thumb: Did I tell you what I nice day we had?;).

Attachments

• IMG_2290.jpg
    IMG_2290.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 45
I'm sporting vintage radar. :lol:

Radar-O-Reilly-m-a-s-h-14056552-422-280.jpg

Speaking of vintage RADAR, the one I had on my Nordhavn had tubes and the big CRT hung from the overhead. Never thought/considered replacing it.

Speaking of vintage RADAR, the one I had on my Nordhavn had tubes and the big CRT hung from the overhead. Never thought/considered replacing it.

I've only seen historical photos of those.

anglia_radar_old5.jpg

Well a small report on the ventures from the summer on the water,, Its been a fun time and an interesting one. For this size of a boat I could not have ask for one to do more. Maybe I sound like I am beating my own drum. But bigger is not always better in some needs to be on the water. I have done both. I think the folks boating with the C Dory cruisers can relate too. Of course this is not our full time home either. So size does not matter for us right now.

While its still in need of some cosmetics and some trimming, we have has an enjoyable time talking to a lot of folks especially owners with bigger boats just this past weekend while being tied up along side of them.

We could have been a dinghy of sorts and we almost could fit on deck for one of them. we have met some that lurked on this very forum and followed this build. So this forum does have a quiet following folks and you provide some good content in the mist of all the trash that comes with the avenue of the www. Personally I read just about all the current posts in the evening and you guys have shared a lot of useful stuff and content for my wife and me. Thumbs up for all members here from the two of us....

If you own and participate on this forum and see us on the water, give us a shout out as this was done several times this season. :thumb: Hopefully we will see some of you trawler snowbirds south this winter time.

Last edited:
Well we are going to sell this boat due to age not allowing us to use it like we wanted to. This is a summary of the boat.

This is a custom built marine grade liteweight plywood hull. The bottom is epoxy coated biaxal fiberglass. The cockpit is self bailing. The entire bilge is tape and glue construction an isolated into three separate compartments with common drains to the rear with rubber plugs in two main thwarts in the bilge.

I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank with a 12 volt electric water pump and sink in the galley area. I have also plumbed it to the cockpit for freshwater washdown. It is wired for 110 with a receptacle inside. I have a small microwave that operates on shore power or a small generator. The frig is 12 volt-110 volt combination Isotherm marine frig. with a freezer inside. It works really well for small steaks and prepackaged hamburgers. I have a 5000 btu air conditioner that fits in the front fold out window with a canvas cover that goes around it and seals off the additional opening.

I have all custom screens for all openings, front fold out, sliders window on the sides, and including the entrance door that has a zipper in the middle to allow you to go inside and out. I also have privacy curtains too for the fixed windows. The hanging locker has a screen entrance, that allows the area to be vented when your clothes are hanging up or stored on the shelves under the hanging pole area.

I also have a built in insulated cooler in the helm seat and drains overboard. The dinette seat is reversible, facing forward for running and for eating you just flip the seat in its own bracket and face backwards. I have a fold down book table for the passenger seat too. The head is a Thedford Curve with its own freshwater storage tank and flush. It is hidden under an additional love seat arrangement for additional seating in the cabin area. I do have a privacy curtain that snaps in place if you need additonal privacy.

The centerline cabin bilge has storage in a raised shelf. The two dinette seats have a ton of storage . The boat is equipped with a 1000 watt inverter wired to two group 27 AGM house batteries , seperated by a Blue Seas switch and fused link to the main ships battery.

All of the interior lights are LEDS . Its equipped with an am-fm Blue tooth stereo with four speakers. I have a VHF radio and garmin navigation unit linked with the NMEA 2000 to the 115 Suzuki outboard. The bow pulpit is equipped with a Delta plow anchor with chair and nylon line.

I have two fuel tanks, one 29 gallons and one 12 gallon as the reserve for longer range running between fuel docks on long trips. The two tanks are connected with a fuel selector valve and plumbed to a Racor fuel-water seperator which the engine draws from.

The boat is work boat finish , built for using it without worrying about getting it messed up, with the exception of awlgrip hull paint. So do not expect a private stamped out YACHT. The Cabin roof top, sides and decks are foam core and skinned with solid mahogany veneers glued to the inside and marine grade plywood. The forward cabin is veneered using juniper veneers and varnished .

The bowrail is 316 stainless steel. I have a small davit that is removable for storage that mounts and pivots on the cabin sides. It picks up my outboard that stores inside the cockpit on its own mount for traveling.

The trailer is an oversized tandem axle Ameritrail and has working brakes. All the lights work, as well as the brakes. The 115 hp Suzuki outboard has approx 110 hours and still under warranty for another 4 plus years. We have boated with this boat from Maine to the Florida Keys by trailer.

If you want something that you can spend the night on but does more than a houseboat and can do some ICW running, this may be you type of boat. Its fast and fairly decent on coastal waters. At 4200 rpm it runs an easy 21 mph, burns around 4.5 lightly loaded and tops out around 29. I am comfortable at the easy cruise and run it mainly between 4,200 and 4,500 rpm. At 2,000 rpm it’s a small trawler at 7 mph, depending on the current at an easy level plane. It burns approx. 1 gph at that speed.

I may have missed some details. But if you have any interest in this boat, send a message and we can chat further.

Attachments

• Cruiser 24.jpg
    Cruiser 24.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 78
Looks like 27’,
Too bad you’re on the wrong coast.

How much are you asking? It’s such a cool boat and quality build.

Sorry to hear you want to sell your boat you worked so hard on to build. I can see the reason why. I should be selling our boat for that same reason. All I seem to do with it is dragging it to boat shows. The only trip this year lasted two days and I broke my foot in the end.
Hope it will work out right selling it.

Egbert

I am asking 38,500, which hopefully allows me to recoup most of the raw materials cost and 2.50 an hour in labor. ;) The boat performs well in open water , of course with more than just a novice behind the helm that understands the sea and understands that there IS AND ADJUSTMENT ON THE THROTTLE FOR A REASON. :thumb:

On our reason trip on the open waters of the bay she did really well and was fairly dry with the reverse chines and spray rails that's generated in the bottom chines. They turn the water and lifts the boat up on top while also throwing water outward instead of the boat running thru a shower on most all occasions when you think that you will get soaked.

It leaves little to no wake at cruising speeds and even flatter when running on the top end, which I rarely run it. There is really no need for it unless I am wanting to air the four stroke engine out at the end of the day.

We have taken our dinghy with us on all of our trips. But we have found that this boat will get us into most any creek for poking around that we have wanted to go along with the ability to go directly up on any beach and anchor up for messing about the shore areas in remote regions.

It does tow nicely on the trailer and well balanced too. I put it on an oversized trailer since trailer manufacturers do not cater to liteweight cabin hulls that's not equipped with big twin engine outboards that acts as a counterweight for minimizing tongue weight.

So these axles are further forward and gives me this option. On aluminum frames you can only bend the I-beam so far forward without stressing them. So this also keeps the running gear further aft too.

And if you want it delivered to the west coast, I am free to travel and have vehicle and time on my hands. ;) Oh and did I tell you that it makes a great camper too at any campground? Oh that's not my tent, but my friendly neighbor that was sleeping on the ground on a blow up mattress as we sleep out of the damp rain too.

Attachments

• chesapeake bay trip.jpg
    chesapeake bay trip.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 50
  • crusier wake.jpg
    crusier wake.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 55
  • cruiser camper.jpg
    cruiser camper.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Seems like it would make a fun, fast Bahamas boat during the cooler season. Or am I overestimating its abilities?

Do you have a little generator for the AC?

What extra care would a wooden boat like this require for someone not used to wood? Covered storage I assume, but what else?

That would be fun to see your boat out here.
Couldn’t afford to buy it though.
If I was smart I’d sell mine.

Personally I only have a small generator, which operates the microwave. The ac works at a dock side plug in.
Crossing the stream during the winter time requires proper planning for almost any pleasure craft boats. Outboard center consoles do it all the time in the ideal conditions. I am not going to recommend it for the novice boater though, doing it by themselves, IMO. Its not solely about the size of the boat.

Depends on how yachty you want the boat to be, maintenance can vary. I store the boat inside of a shed. But my last boat that's of similar build and nature stays in the water at a dock year round in N.C. and taken out to do the bottom and any paint they care to do. It even has a varnished teak covering boards too. Its nothing special, but gives fun at a turn of a key without any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 58
Not only a "fun, fast boat for the Bahamas" but fun anywhere. The combination of livability and trailerability is unique for a boat this size, and very appealing to many boaters. Allows you to visit anywhere you want to go, and no need for marina storage fees.

Now I am really regretting that we didn't get down to the Keys when you both were there on Red Knot this past winter.

Sometimes I feel the old age thing creeping up on me, too. Starting to understand why so many old mariners transition to campers.

And your price is astonishing for a boat recently built by a master craftsman. Lordy, if we were ready to downsize I would be calling you right now.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

After a lot of the preconceived ideas that is continued to be spread about concerning "wooden boats" which is just the core for most custom built boats, there are several major world class builders that sells yachts that travel all over and fish built in the same manner.

While I did not glass the exterior of the superstructure sides of the cabin, for this type of boat its not really needed and saved weight and materials and for sure the added work when using high end core materials.. These boats are worth millions of dollars and experienced boat owners move back from plastic fantastics after owning multiple boats to this style building method and boats.

https://www.jarrettbay.com/

https://www.jarrettbay.com/carolina...gallery/97e9c1431d3474120f4b9834b68e6490/3009

Last edited:
I love your boat and loved following along on your journey. I hope the person who gets it cares for it properly. I would love to buy it but two things hold me back. First, I’m not ready financially. Second, I need to get my sea legs first. This is my first year of boating.

It’s really a class act boat and would be super proud to take care of it and run it around Nantucket Sound and Buzzards Bay.

Back
Top Bottom