Latch Hardware for up/down sliding windows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I am looking for latches for a new up/down sliding window (bottom pane is fixed, top pane drops down). I know I have seen them used on boats before - a latch on each side of the window where you press a button to pull-back a locking pin and raise/lower the window. Any ideas where I might find something suitable?

Thanks in advance -

Peter
M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Ensenada MX

Thanks Russel - challenge is that because the pane of glass is up/down (vs side-to-side), was hoping for something that could be easily operated while lifting the glass - a push-button that forced a pin into a hole. Not sure it even exists. I

BTW - nice boat Russell

Window Latch Sketches - MV Weebles

Here are some crude sketches that hopefully better describe what I'm trying to accomplish. The cross-section showing push-button would be ideal --- if I can find it.

Attachments

• Window Latch Track with Perko Hinged Stop.jpg
    Window Latch Track with Perko Hinged Stop.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Window Latch Detail Schematic.jpg
    Window Latch Detail Schematic.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Window Detail.jpg
    Window Detail.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Here are some crude sketches that hopefully better describe what I'm trying to accomplish. The cross-section showing push-button would be ideal --- if I can find it.

I see several pushbutton release barrel bolts on a Google search of "pushbutton barrel bolt" /images. Looks like you have to manually push the bolt in from the end, though, to set it.

Good suggestion - might work if I can't find a purpose-built window latch. Many thanks.

If you don't find one with a pin, these will work. Here is a picture of the one on our galley window. There are two installed on this window that moves up and down.DSC_0034.jpg

This is really helpful How big is your galley window? I was thinking pure friction like this would not work well - weight of glass and some seaway would jiggle it lose. Window's on my Willard are around 30-inches wide, so not incredibly heavy, but wonder what you think give your boat has likely been through the paces a time or two :)

16x22. The unit has a rubber tip on it where it meets the glass. It has never came loose in some serious weather.

The simplest is the old wooden boat system where a leather belt would lift the window and catch on a pin to hold it up.

The finest I have seen was construction where the hollow PH wall was lined with copper sheeting and 3 tracks were built in.

One lifted the window glass , one lifted a bug screen , and one lifted a storm / privacy /sun shade . Any leaks would be drained to the outside deck by the copper.

Great system , but high in man hours and material cost to build.

It was still watertight and the boat was over 50-60 years old.

Last edited:
Another good/simple idea - I like the friction clamps that Russell uses on his 49PH, however Perko only makes them in a Zamac with what appears to be a plastic knurl, and the Sea Dog version (which appears much beefier) does not have the angled mount bracket. Workable, but this strap-with-holes idea is also excellent for a very positive support that does not depend on friction.

Thank you all so much. Really got to a much better place than where I was headed.

Peter

Another option might be to glue nubs onto the glass so when the window is down the nubs sit on the latch. On my Willard the top of the window has a full width piece glued across the top of the pane, with the latches under the glued on piece. It doesn't adjust, just up or down, but I have a couple of items I put under that top panel that hold the window open at various levels of open.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom