ZF 80A transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
How often do you change the fluid/filter?

Says 300 hours,

Can I use DEX 6

What do you use

Filter is cleanable. Wire mesh strainer, really, no need to replace. Get fresh seals, though. If Dex 6 is backwards compatible, then yes. But check the manual or online specs. Do a couple fluid changes during break in, then every few hundred hours or few years.

I have no history if or when the filters were changed, so I'll just buy new for now so I have a base line.

The manual says DexIII, which is no longer on the market, they list many foreign recommendations which are not avail here and
since they say dex III I think that list is obsolete.

Like feedback from other users of this tranny

Dex 3

I bought 4 gallons of Dex III at Walmart last month.

In the past, i’ve discarded the filter. How do you clean it? It’s not cheap @~$34 ea.

In the past, i’ve discarded the filter. How do you clean it? It’s not cheap @~$34 ea.

Take it out, rinse in diesel or gasoline or brake cleaner, blow out with compressed air or just shake it out. It's just a wire mesh strainer.

Take it out, rinse in diesel or gasoline or brake cleaner, blow out with compressed air or just shake it out. It's just a wire mesh strainer.
Exactly...
Cleaning is relatively easy.
Never having seen one I bought a replacement so I could do the change & refill then clean the old one and put in the spares bin with my other filters.
Once you see it I'm sure you will agree that cleaning is straight forward.

Back
Top Bottom