Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
BruceK
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
RE: Island Gypsy 36

Hi Scotty, A couple of observations:

1. I If you windows are aluminum framed I understand the idea of "rebedding";if they are timber framed that could not happen.Repairing and replacing timber windows is complex and costly. An odd water entry point on my boat was under the "eyebrow" mould where the flybridge deck joined on, above the windscreen framing. The water entry caused considerable timber rot.Another odd water entry point was the wood block where the LPG piping from the flybridge enters the upper deck, water ran along the pipes and dripped from the LPG valve set into the cabin ceiling; I resealed the block.

2. Most early 36s had Ford Lehmans or similar of 120-135 hp; some later ones had 200hp Volvos which are more power than the boat needs,I even saw one with trim tabs (on a trawler!?). Provided you can operate them at a speed to reach operating temp they should be fine.

4. As your boat is in dry storage this could be an opportunity to treat any osmosis,though usually it gets ground out and left to dry. However you need it in the water to test the mechanics,so that may not work. A good time to spot blisters is just as the hull comes out of the water, but an expert should be able to determine if there is osmosis present, dry. Don`t underestimate the cost and inconvenience of rectification.

5. My cable steering has given no trouble.

6. Lazarettes are like that,especially big ones like this,I keep thinking about dividers and racking to organize it better.Check the timber drains around and across the lazarette,also the condition of the piano hinges,screws,and the timber the screws go into. The lazarette hatch/doors are heavy and impose strain. And never get hit on the head by one closing while standing in the lazarette, very nasty.

Your system of a "buyers broker" is unlike here,where many sellers use a selling broker, some are reliable and honest, some are something else entirely. The buyers safeguard here is the surveyor, some are better than others. When I was looking for this boat,I had a written checklist,to make sure I looked at things myself,and to compare boats.You will be the one doing/funding the repairs,so satisfy yourself on any issues,using available advice. Here the initial agreed price is effectively "provisional",it may well be "adjusted" once the survey is obtained.

regards, BruceK,Sydney Australia.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote