Oil change pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
Tried two drill type units

used a $40 Jabsco today warmed engine a few minutes, it working if you don't mind sitting with a drill for 30 minutes for 18 quarts.:banghead:

Must be better systems for a reasonable price

I have a Jabsco Porta Quick oil change pump. It came built on a 3 gallon bucket. It works great. But my engines take 22 quarts of oil so I removed the 3 gallon bucket and just use the pump and run the oil into a 5 gallon jerry can. It takes about 3 to 4 minutes to drain 4.5 gallons out of my engines. But I have a drain hose hooked to the oil pan drain so that may help with the pumping.

We have one of these permanently mounted to the side of the engine with valves allowing engine 10 gallon or gearbox 12 gallon pump out.

s-l1600.jpg

We had purchased a Marco UP3-R pump rated for oil and diesel for transferring diesel for our tank cleaning project (we moved all the fuel from port to starboard and back again to work on the tanks.) Afterwards I repurposed the pump into an oil change pump. Our engines already had 3/8" hose plumbed to the drains, and we extended those to the valve gang you see in the top of the photo below. The coiled hose extends up to the salon floor where I can pump out to a 5 gallon bucket. The remaining valve will be attached to the genset when we get that plumbed. The Marco pump was $220 new, and I probably spent another $100 in fittings, hose, and valves, but the pump was also instrumental in another major project we had to accomplish to ensure the life of our tanks, then was kind of hanging around looking for work. Very similar to the Jabsco porta quick system ComoDave has, except I chose to hard mount my system. Standing in my genset access hatch, I can pump the oil out of both Lehmans into buckets in a short time and be done with the bulk of my oil change.

Not really more economical than a drill pump, but man it works quick, and I don't have anything to store other than two closed buckets. (The only reason I store two is so I can do a full oil change away from the marina.)

DISCLAIMER: This photo was taken before the wiring for the pump was properly secured to the wall. It is not hanging like that now. You can also see a sneak peak at our new genset battery box, 3/4 marine ply with 2 layers of 1 1/2 oz CSM and gelcoat. Still making the hold down and lid, but at least the battery no longer sits under the drip pan for the genset, acting as secondary containment for any leaks!)

Resized_20190717_144819.jpg

Last edited:
I have an "oil x changer" pump that uses a rubber impeller.
After 15 years it still pumps the oil out in about 3-4 minutes even if it's cold.

Watched several harbor freight vids pumps on their holt pump $80

I'm picking one up tomorrow, we'll see??

I assume that my Jabsco pump has a rubber impeller but I have never looked so I am not absolutely sure. I have had it about 15 years and it works great. I bought it at a WMP tent sale for about $75.

Maybe I’m wrong about rubber impellers in oil pumps. I sure sold a lot of replacement impellers for Jabsco and Reverso oil changers. At any rate, the impellers are cheap and easy to replace.

Parks,

I am certainly not saying you are wrong, just that I have had a good experience with the Jabsco pump. I am sure that a gear pump is better but I don’t have that high of a need. I generally use my pump for one or two oil changes a year. If I did more changes then I would probably need a better pump.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom