View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: group 31's in parallel?

Quote:
Dougcole wrote:
I've got to replace my house bank which is currently 4 6V interstates.* I've been very unhappy with them, they won't take a charge above 11.9v no matter what I do, even when they were brand new.

I had 2 8D prior to them and had much better luck.* Only problem is that they are a bear to install.*

In perusing the defender catalog today I compared the group 31 to an 8D.* Less than 1/2 the cost, well more than 1/2 the AH, and less than 1/2 the weight.*

What would be wrong with wiring 4 of them in parallel?* I have plenty of room.* Am I missing something obvious?

You are missing nothing except you may be using the wrong vendor for your batteries.* Shipping batteries is pretty expensive.

Multiple 12 volt batteries*can be wired in parallel to increase the available current.**It's best if they are the same*brand chemistry, size and age.

I am using four group 31, 12 volt*Sears Diehard Marine AGM batteries wired in parallel for my house bank.** They were not cheap, but they are maintenance free and have a three year non-prorated warranty.* Pretty much every town has a Sears store.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote