Filters etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimdavi

Vessel Name
Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Make
2019 North Pacific 45
I realize that I may be opening a can of worms, but here goes...

For oil, filters etc. Do you buy local or source wherever based on price? Are there a few good vendors you rely on?

Thanks

I realize that I may be opening a can of worms, but here goes...

For oil, filters etc. Do you buy local or source wherever based on price? Are there a few good vendors you rely on?

Thanks

My 2 centavos of advice, might I suggest OEM and or book specs. Guessing your engines are under warranty following OEM likely best practice.

BTW, nice boat. Spend all you can keeping it up. Your yacht deserves it.

Will do OEM filters of course. Generally same prices then?

Wax on...wax off...

Google the part number for the filters and see who comes up with the best prices.

I use OEM whenever possible. They are (mostly) more expensive and may or may not be of better quality than off brand stuff. However no engine manufacturer is going to knowingly destroy their own reputation with cheap filters. Piece of mind is well worth the extra few bucks. Like said above google the part numbers for price.

Engine makers don't make their own filters. How good it is depends on who made the filter. Youtube has several videos showing the insides of various brands. Generally the slower the oil goes thru the filter, the better it's filtered. Most spin on filters come in 2 or more lengths. The longer ones filter out smaller particles. Heavy duty diesels often have 2-3 filters splitting the oil flow so it passes thru very slowly.

I buy Fram Tough Guard oil filters at WalMart.

Racor fuel filters from Fisheries supply

Jim, for my Cummins engine I use Fleetguard oil and fuel filters. If I can find them on the shelf locally, I buy them from a local retailer. Most of the time that isn’t easy so I then order online.

I would be happy to use non-OEM oil filters for my Northern Lights genset but I’ve not been able to find another filter that says it is comparable to the spec’d OEM filter. As such, it is way too much money IMO.

I use Fleetguard filters for my Lehmans. I google the part number and go with whoever is currently the cheapest at the time. I find that prices change and one time I buy from one place and the next time they aren’t the cheapest.

I use NAPA oil and fuel filters exclusively as well as NAPA oil which I buy in 5 gal pails and pump directly into the engines with service pumps in the generator room and engine rooms.

I buy genuine Racor filters by the case on eBay, not the “compatible” Chinese copies.

I use NAPA (Wix) or OEM filters depending on where I am (Detroit Diesels) and likewise their oil. The guys at the local Detroit shop here in NC (now Western Branch) sold to me at commercial pricing which made them at or a little cheaper than NAPA so I went pure OEM once we settled down here. The NAPA oil (the 75118 at least) is re-branded Valvoline and the Detroit co-branded Mobil

By the way, I found that often times the local NAPAs had Racors at excellent pricing.

Fleetfilter.com\

They handle WIX (NAPA), Baldwin, others- all top quality. My 6BT is long out of warranty, so I'm not concerned with manufacturer's recommendations, but more with a quality filter. Competitive prices, good service, good X-ref for OEM numbers. I don't have to be concerned about finding filters in an unfamiliar area with a rental car, I order inventory when I'm in a location for long enough to get the UPS. Has served well for 10+ yrs.

After checking a few of the oil filter posts on the oil guy's site and others, I stay away from Fram & the other cheaply made filters. Just not worth saving a couple of bucks for questionable quality.

Regarding Fram. Just their Greenville plant produces a hundred million oil filters annually. If they were producing questionable quality it would be newsworthy

Regarding Fram. Just their Greenville plant produces a hundred million oil filters annually. If they were producing questionable quality it would be newsworthy

It's always been quite newsworthy to those who actually care about such things. There are a heck of a lot more that just care about price, or simply are influenced by marketing spend.

Fram makes three levels of filters. Their aultra model uses synthetic media just as other brands of high end filters. That Fram criticism is very old news.
Fleetfilter.com\

They handle WIX (NAPA), Baldwin, others- all top quality. My 6BT is long out of warranty, so I'm not concerned with manufacturer's recommendations, but more with a quality filter. Competitive prices, good service, good X-ref for OEM numbers. I don't have to be concerned about finding filters in an unfamiliar area with a rental car, I order inventory when I'm in a location for long enough to get the UPS. Has served well for 10+ yrs.

After checking a few of the oil filter posts on the oil guy's site and others, I stay away from Fram & the other cheaply made filters. Just not worth saving a couple of bucks for questionable quality.

Ok, first oil change and a diesel supplier gave me a Fleetguard LF3972 oil filter, ( 2019 Cummins 6.7L) but I see there are other fleetguard comparable numbers such as LF3970 and LF16035, that are more expensive and perhaps better? Cummins website/s are
totally useless...

Ok, first oil change and a diesel supplier gave me a Fleetguard LF3972 oil filter, ( 2019 Cummins 6.7L) but I see there are other fleetguard comparable numbers such as LF3970 and LF16035, that are more expensive and perhaps better? Cummins website/s are
totally useless...

Bend the ears of the local factory trained and approved Cummins tech.

With the exception of Cummins Fleetguard OEMs don't make their own filters, they have them made by a filter company to their specifications. Filters from reputable suppliers such as AC Delco, Wix, Puralator, Fram, Mann, K&N etc are equivalent and suitable for use. I would be cautious of off brand filters where you do not know where they came from. They may be made by a major supplier or could be a Chinese knock off. The same is true of lubricants, in this case no OEM makes their own lubricant.

Youtube oil filter comparisons and you'll be surprised when some of the "big" brands are cut open and have less protection and quality than the no-named ones.

totally useless...

There are several types of media and hence different filter part numbers.
I don't know which is which in that series, but you can google and find out.
Then make your choice.

totally useless...

Call Seaboard Marine down in Oxnard. They are highly expert in all things Cummins and filtration.

https://www.sbmar.com/contact-us/

We really got into this a while back. Someone posted a video from the Raycor people advocating using only "Raycor" filters in their canisters.

It made a believer of me, at least for the Raycors.

pete

Another recommendation to contact Seaboard. Assuming your 6.7 is a QSB, here's a link to one of Tony's articles on 6B & QSB Oil Filters. You might find it informative.

totally useless...

For many years in my Cummins 5.9 truck engine I used the Fleetguard LF3894 Stratopore filter recommended by Seaboard and also on the TurboDiesel Register website for Dodge Ram Cummins pickup truck fans. Clearly described as better than the earlier models of the oil filter for Cummins 5.9 diesels. In the last 3-4 years I switched to the LF16035, said by Cummins Intermountain to be improved over the 3894. It's available on Amazon for $13.49. If that one fits your Cummins, I'd suggest either that or the 3894.

Talked with the local Cummins rep. He said the 3972 is primarily an auto filter but didn't suggest I replace it now. He said next change, ( he used my serial number for 2019 6.7L) to use the latest filter, (lube) LF3959 and (fuel) FF 3959 are the latest stock numbers. He also said that the upgraded filter is LF3894, slightly better performance.

Been told the LF16035 is only different in the case, which is fluted at bottom, ( for auto use) where the LF3894 is smooth round case at the end.

Oil filters come in 5 thread sizes.

3/4" - 16

13/16" - 16

18 1.5 X mm

20 1.5 X mm

22 1.5 X mm

The differences between filters are canister and gasket size, micron rating, check valve etc.

There are on line cross reference charts to help find a suitable element.

The most common size is 3/4" X 16 which is a PH8A and found on Ford vehicles, the Lehman and several other makes of automobiles.

Model: PH8A

Thread: 3/4-16

Anti Drain Valve: Yes

Bypass Valve Setting: 12

Burst PSI: 600

Height: 5.14"

Diameter: 3.8"

Displacement: 58.29 in³

Model: PH8A

These are a direct replacement for some Volvo filters that were selected to create a slim engine profile.

They are longer than the Volvo units but if they fit, you get 4x or 5x the filtration at 1/4 the cost.

If you have to worry about the price of filters, you better sell the boat quickly. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom