Pot Puller base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koliver

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Retreat
Vessel Make
C&L 44
Since I started using a puller, I have struggled with positioning and support on my RIB. Initially, I placed a 1 x 6 across the top of the tubes, held in place by the strap handles that adorn the tops of the tubes, tied on with string. Though terribly inelegant, this solution worked well, when the tubes are inflated hard, and looked OK when the cedar board in use was new. More recently though, its appearance has deteriorated to the point that I was motivated to make a more permanent base.
I have looked at dozens of differing approaches taken by others. I have even seen an identical RIB fitted out with a very good solution. The major difficulty was its positioning. The best built supports are mostly made of 1" SS tubing, bent to get the base up and over the tubes, with a bolt on stanchion base attachment or two to fasten it onto a portion of the Rigid part of the RIB. Many of those would interfere with seating, many more would be awkwardly behind the steering seat, out of the way, but hard to use.
My approach is pictured:

The base is 3/8 aluminum on a pair of 1.5" square section posts attached to the middle seat support, with a spacer to allow the seat top (battery access) to flip up without removing the cushion. Positioning allows the PP to be easily accessed while sitting in the steering position, where the chart/sounder can be viewed, and where the line can be easily coiled on the floor. In the local Marine Construction shop, scraps were found that kept the overall cost to $10 for the aluminum and another $10 or so for bolts.

A side issue is the quality of SS bolts available. I used 1/8" SS bolts, but found that I could tighten them by hand enough to strip the threads on the bolts. The nuts survived well, but I had to be careful to avoid over-tightening. I may have to take the assembled base in and get it welded, should any of the present fastenings come loose.

Attachments

• Prawn puller base.jpg
    Prawn puller base.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 93
Apply lubricant or wax to the SS threads to prevent galling.

Keith, Is that a Scotty pot puller? I'm interested in them since I use Scotty downriggers and the mounts are the same. Does the puller have enough power to bring up heavy pots from 300+ feet?

Nice! I suppose you could also swap out a downrigger on the same Scotty base if you wanted some Salmon with your crab.

Two questions: 1. I can’t see how the square tubing is attached to the base plate. I assume welded? For those of us not able to do aluminum welding, I guess you could find a shop where they would do it for you. 2. Do you put anything over the inflatable hull tube to prevent it from being damaged by the pot when it comes over the side? I would be concerned about a stray piece of wire or something on the heavy pot (hopefully full of crab) as it comes up.

Ken:
I have been using a Scotty pot puller for the past 3 years. Works great. But I wish it could lift the pot higher into the air so you didn't need to bend over so far to lift the pot out of the water and into the boat. (Like the Ace puller does).

Keith, Is that a Scotty pot puller? I'm interested in them since I use Scotty downriggers and the mounts are the same. Does the puller have enough power to bring up heavy pots from 300+ feet?

I don't know what you consider heavy. My typical pull is a pair of square traps, each with an old 6" x 6" zinc strapped to the bottom, sometimes full of prawns, squat lobster, octopus, in 350' to 450' depth, sometimes in heavy current. So far I have never had the puller fail to manage the pull.
I like being able to plug into the standard Scotty outlet, mount on the standard Scotty turning mount, keep the weight low, stow in a small space, etc.
No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

The Ace pot puller lifts higher than the Scotty with the tall arm, retrieval speed is faster and the Ace is designed to mount on a Scotty mount and plug into the Scotty 12 volt plug. New style plug or old style plug can be chosen.

Pulling power and retrieval speed has been increased in the latest Ace.

A hands free kit is also available.

Full disclosure: I am an Ace pot puller dealer.

Last edited:
The Ace pot puller lifts higher than the Scotty with the tall arm, retrieval speed is faster and the Ace is designed to mount on a Scotty mount and plug into the Scotty 12 volt plug. New style plug or old style plug can be chosen.

Pulling power and retrieval speed has been increased in the latest Ace.

A hands free kit is also available.

Full disclosure: I am an Ace pot puller dealer.

Ha
Always wondered why the Ace style was up so high.
speed: Ace 140fpm, Scotty 120fpm

Ha
Always wondered why the Ace style was up so high.
speed: Ace 140fpm, Scotty 120fpm

The Scotty slows under load. So does the Ace but the latest motor seems not to slow as much. I run the outboard at a high idle to keep voltage up.

I actually have both a Scotty and an Ace Puller. I use the Scotty for comparison to the Ace when selling.

Nice! I suppose you could also swap out a downrigger on the same Scotty base if you wanted some Salmon with your crab.

Two questions: 1. I can’t see how the square tubing is attached to the base plate. I assume welded? For those of us not able to do aluminum welding, I guess you could find a shop where they would do it for you. 2. Do you put anything over the inflatable hull tube to prevent it from being damaged by the pot when it comes over the side? I would be concerned about a stray piece of wire or something on the heavy pot (hopefully full of crab) as it comes up.

1 As this is mark II design, the attachments are bolted. If the bolting shows any signs of failure, I will take it all in for welding.
I used two pieces of 1.25" angle, bolted first to the square tubing, then bolted the 3/8" plate to the top, flat surface of the angle. The square tubing is bolted into the fibreglass of the RIB with 5/16" SS bolts. The side where the seat flips up has a 3" spacer to allow the seat cushion to remain in place when flipped up. That locker has the battery, flares, emergency kit and a container of bait, so is opened frequently.

2 The positioning of the attached Scotty base is far enough outboard to allow the trap's own rope to rise to the pulley without contacting the tubes. At that point I lift the traps off of the pulley without contacting the tubes. When tying up next to the big boat or a dock, turning the Scotty turntable allows the RIB tube to remain as the most outboard point of contact, as the pulley is then pointed fore and aft or inboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom