Family was freaking out on the boat in a thunderstorm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Took boat out on the river within a mile of our slip, a storm started brewing up, no waves, or wind, mostly lightening and dark skies. This did not worry me, but wife daughter and then 5 and 6 yr old grandkids, perhaps reacting to them, insisted the boat was going to be hit by lightening and had to get back to the dock.

So we did and sat at the dock in pouring rain and thunder for about 30 minutes.

It did not help to see multiple boats racing back in passing us.

I felt like I was surrounded by drama queens.

Took boat out on the river within a mile of our slip, a storm started brewing up, no waves, or wind, mostly lightening and dark skies. This did not worry me, but wife daughter and then 5 and 6 yr old grandkids, perhaps reacting to them, insisted the boat was going to be hit by lightening and had to get back to the dock.

Think of it this way - if you hadn't gone back in you may have been putting your boat on the market this morning.

Yeah, what menzies said. Better to be safe than sorry and sometimes that feeling of safety isn't yours but the feeling of others. You can't be on the water too very long with other people before something like this comes up. Don't hold it against them; they need to feel safe, too. Another boating day will come around and it will be beautiful weather.

John

Think of it this way - if you hadn't gone back in you may have been putting your boat on the market this morning.

I think they felt better tied to a dock with tall masts. They think they would get hit and not us.

So has this happened to others, the extreme angst?

Because being tied to a dock provides a magical cone of protection?

We have had a boat hit by lightning and we had a shorter mast than others around us.

Last edited:
Was on a group paddle one Saturday

A storm rolled in and the group wanted to take shelter in the nearby harbor. I said "why", "what do you hope to accomplish"? No good answer was given, just a fear driven rush to "shelter" from the storm. My buddy and I paddled on in what was an incredible drenching rain. As we were laughing at how much water was splashing up from the droplets we jumped from the bolt of lightning that smacked a mast in the harbor. Like rats chased from a flooding tunnel they all came scurrying out of the harbor. Kayaks are low and we enjoy rough water, so why go into an electrified harbor and hide under a dock next to a lightning rod?
This being said, if it keeps the family happy........ probably not safer. I prefer safer to happier, it makes me happier. A happy wife is a happy.............

As captains of our boats we have the responsibility to conduct the business of the boat in a safe and legal manner. Safe and legal for the members of TF should be fairly easily understood. It’s that bit about the business of the boat that can be a bit harder to understand. On a pleasure boat the business is making sure all aboard enjoy the cruise and have a positive experience. Returning to shore to keep your passengers at ease was the correct decision. You and your boat can very likely handle more than your family can. Had you been out with like minded buddies? Well that would have been a different cruise and the business of the boat could have been adjusted accordingly.

Yes it's happened to me. When I was a kid Mom was terrified of anything rougher than a mild chop, so Mom didn't go or came back in. My ex wife was a bit tougher but she had her limits. Sometimes I had to come back in when I knew it was OK to keep going.

Perceived dangers are a dangerous thing. I've seen many injuries and one fatality due to the perceived dangers of being on a boat during a storm. It's not uncommon for boats to be struck by lightning. Based on data I recently read it's fairly rare given how many boats are actually in the water. I wish I could remember the website where I read that info. It was a culmination of insurance providers claims, IIRC.

The one fatality I was close by to witness was a man with his scared family huddled low in the center of the boat, a bowrider. He hopped out of the boat on to the dock but slipped off the edge. The outboard was at idle but still in forward gear. I don't know if this was an error due to his haste or intentional. When he fell back off the dock, the boat was passing by headed for the ramp. The prop struck him in the head.

The storm never made it to the lake. It stayed off in the distance and was barely in view.

My wife handles big seas very well with the boat rolling and pitching and water coming over the bow; but if I have the sails up and heel more than 15 degrees, her nails start to dig into my thigh. She is sure we are going over. She is my reminder to reef early.

I was sleeping (trying to) on a sportfisher in the marina one night during a powerful storm in Ocean City Md back in 2004 or 2005. One lighting strike was especially loud, sounded like it hit right next to the boat, the sound was incredible and I swear the boat felt like it shook but I figured my senses had exaggerated things and fell asleep after the storm passed. The next morning, when I stepped out into the cockpit, it was littered with bits of antenna. The boat in the next slip had been struck. Both boats had ~30+ long outriggers but ours were slightly taller, the lighting struck either the neighbor's rigger, antenna or probably both. Boats was fine structurally but it fried about $30K in electronics including the controls for each diesel, he lost about a weeks worth of charters. You can only do so much to avoid lightening but I don't want to be that close again.

If boating is a long term goal of the OP, heading back was a wise decision. One less reason the wife will have for getting rid of the boat.

I know of too many new boaters, whose wife refuses to go out on the boat because they were subjected to scary conditions, embarrassment docking or the husband shouting orders or yelling at them.

I advise new boaters to take it easy at the beginning, not to go out if the wind is strong to avoid large waves and difficult docking. And certainly avoid thunderstorms.

Last edited:
Think back to the first time you were out on a boat and got caught in a bad thunderstorm :socool:

Above all remember, boating is supposed to be fun.
If it is not fun, look for a safe place to wait out the weather, if possible.

Nope. I like the adventure. Cast off before the storm and head into it. Just make sure my puke pail is close by. :rofl:

My wife is also terrified of lightening so I try to avoid thunderstorms as much as possible. If I see one coming I usually reverse course to get away from it and let it pass if possible.

My wife is also terrified of lightening so I try to avoid thunderstorms as much as possible. If I see one coming I usually reverse course to get away from it and let it pass if possible.

But you do have the lightining attractor sticking up in the middle of your boat...

This happened to us 2 years ago. We were cruising on a lake on Rideau waterway, followed by another trawler. In 10 minutes sky was dark, wind picked up and we were seeing the storm getting to us from behind. 10 min later the trawler disappeared within the rain pouring like hell and it was soon our turn to get it. It was scary with wind, waves and lightning striking everywhere around and both of us alone in the middle of the lake. Everything went well at the end but it was a tensed moment. I dis not choose to take refuge to a marina we went by because with the wind it would have been more dangerous to try to dock in the middle of other boats than to stay on the lake.

L

Several year back we had a state parks patrol boat get hit by lightening at the dock.
It hit the radio antenna and that's all she wrote.
Fried ALL the electronics, radar, chart plotter, radios, computer on the outboard engine, etc.
Sure made a mess of things!

A long time ago, I started having my wife be the go or not go decision maker. She follows the weather predictions, reports and various weather sites on the web throughly and tracks weather systems and sea conditions.

My wife makes the final decision on whether we untie or not. Especially when crossing straits.

Back when my wife did not make the departure decision, large waves and swells would elicit complaints, sighs and other forms of disapproval. When I said it looks calmer up ahead, my wife would not believe it.

Now that my wife is making the desicion to go, it's totally different. When we hit large waves and swells, she acts like it's no big deal and says "oh, it looks calmer ahead" or "it's not that bad", or "we've had worse"

Last edited:

I agree with those that said you make the prudent decision to keep your crew happy.

There may be one way that you are safer at dock than out on the water. If you do get hit by a lightning strike, there is a decent chance that your electronics could be damaged. If that happens away from port, in bad weather, it could be unpleasant. If it happens while tied to the dock, it is an expensive inconvenience.

Thunderstorms are rare in my waters. Howver this spring we were out during a thunderstorm. I thought it was cool. My wife was nervous. No shelter to be had to assuage her fears so I simply reassured her.

Wifey B: To have even wasted a single word or a minute debating or arguing was a waste of time. Your first obligation as a captain is safety, but as a host, your obligation is the comfort and happiness of your guests, including family. I know too many people terrified of things even as adults based on a macho parent who pressed them too far into something as a child. The impact can be lasting and even permanent and the fear is often the only memory of the entire experience.

95% of our boating is with experienced boaters. However, anytime we have others we change our approach as we want them to have the best experience and we avoid seas we otherwise would think nothing of and weather that we'd normally just accept.

Do nothing to make your wife and kids or any other guests uncomfortable. Think of them as "guests" you want to impress and make happy. When they make a request, even if it's stupid in your opinion, if it doesn't risk their safety, just do it. :)

Severe thunderstorms happen often enough in our waters that you are going to have to deal with one a couple of times a year.

I am a firm believer of not heading into port if you look like being in one, we have been in yacht races and anchored vs heading in at end of race.
Those that headed in invariably got hit with high winds while playing amongst the rocks, shallows, concrete berths and boats.
We drank rum and slowly dragged. (-;

Chicken or egg thing.

So when you do get caught in one in a small boat, do you:
A: Leave the outriggers/antennas up so that lightning will strike them and near-miss you?
Or
B: Lower everything to be less of a lightning rod, but you personally are now the high spot?

Last edited:
Have I lightning rod on top of my mast. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

I would suggest, you should also have a rather large gage multi-strand wire leading down to an external grounding plate on the hull. SSB seem to or used to require such a ground plate.

some folks put their spare hand held VHFs and hand held GPSs in the oven. I guess that would work but remember to remove them before you use the oven and make a meal. I have read where some owners' forget and cook their VHF and GPS.

Last edited:
I would suggest, you should also have a rather large gage multi-strand wire leading down to an external grounding plate on the hull. SSB seem to or used to require such a ground plate. ...

There are several metal wires (holding the mast) leading to the steel hull.

I forgot you have a metal hull.
What does your local electrician say?

Back
Top Bottom