Fuel Tank Manometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just remember diesel does not burn and its safe...cant be lit with a match..., but the fumes sure can stink, exhaust and otherwise, sure, ok.

Last edited:
I used polycarbonate tube (narrow bore) with shut off ball valves top and bottom. Since I thought many (most) fuel valves are ball valves, what are the preferred options for sight "glass" valves. PC melts around 250C but fuel volume was only a couple of teaspoons. Not sure what a better practical alternative is. Even using real glass tubing still requires use of seals that will likely melt/leak when subjected to 250C.

On any boat I have run, I leave sight level valves closed except for reading level, then back to closed.

I this case the fire had to be pretty bad already if it burned that sight tube. Not sure the sight tube bit would have changed the outcome that much.

One of the many things that I want to do on my boat is to add valves at the top of my sight tubes. There are already valves at the bottom. They stay closed unless I am checking the fuel level.

Just remember diesel does not burn and its safe...cant be lit with a match..., but the fumes sure can stink, exhaust and otherwise, sure, ok.

I do not agree with the diesel does not burn statement, Diesel is safer than gasoline but believe me diesel will burn. Basing my statement on both the shipboard fire fighting training where diesel was used as the fuel and the actual maritime diesel fires I responded to in my 28 years with the Coast Guard. Diesel vapors in an enclosed space can become explosive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom