Soon to be Great Loopers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vwfun2

We are looking for a small, older trawler now to do the great loop starting next summer. We live in Michigan and currently own a Bayfield 25 and a pontoon. We love the water and want to trial living aboard for a year. Any help is appreciated!

Welcome aboard. First you need to define what your must haves and what your nice to haves are. What is your budget? How many in your family? Any dogs? I would establish a budget and start looking at Yachtworld to get some idea of what you think you like that fits within your budget. Then start walking the docks and talking to boat owners. Most of us love to talk about and show our boats. Go to boat shows to look and see what features you like even if you are going to buy a used boat.

Welcome aboard TF.
Check details on looping next year... we arent loopers so not the best source but have talked to MANY cruising this year that said they are doing it this year because next year some of the Chicago? Locks will be closed?
Lots of other cruising options if it doesn't work out.

Welcome.

You might want to contact Great Laker. He lives in Spring Lake and did the loop a few years ago on an American Tug 34.

We are looking for a small, older trawler now to do the great loop starting next summer. We live in Michigan and currently own a Bayfield 25 and a pontoon. We love the water and want to trial living aboard for a year. Any help is appreciated!
When looking at boats, keep in mind air draft (max 19'6") and water draft (recommended max is five feet). Water depth will vary greatly along your intended route. I decided to build a small 28' trailer trawler to get what I want.

Details of lock closures on the Illinois River in 2020- schedule carefully

The closures will begin at Brandon Road Lock and Dam in Joliet, Illinois (river mile 286) and continue down to LaGrange Lock and Dam outside of Versailles, Illinois (river mile 80) for a total distance of just over 200 miles.

Please be sure to take a look at the website if you have any other questions: http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Missions/Navigation/Navigation-Status/

Buy an older Trojan double cabin or Chris Craft, or older Hatteras. There are some classy mid-70s low rider cruisers that look perfect for the loop. Junk it when you're done. Far more bang for the buck than most trawlers...and with a coolness factor thrown in.

Last edited:
Reminds me of people attempting to traverse the entire length of John Muir Train over the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Met one couple on the trail on their first try, and a single backpacker on his third attempt. Met none having completed the trip. Guess those successful went on to other pursuits.

Back
Top Bottom