The Thrifty Boater . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
I was at the marina yesterday, working on boat things, when the guy in the slip next to me pulled out and headed off. A transit, slip. But I saw that he had left a 30-amp shore power cable lying curled up on the dock, so I called him on the VHF and told him that he had left his shore power cable on the dock.

He answered me and said that he had left it because it was no good, and that he had meant to throw it in the trash. He asked me if I would dispose of it for him. Well, sure. No problem.

So I looked at it. Nice new-looking cable, about 25' I think, yellow in color. Looked OK to me, but when I looked at the female end of it I saw what he meant. FUBAR! One of the hot lines on the plug was burnt and charred and big as a dime! Whoa!

So, being thrifty, I thought about what I might be able to do with it. I hate to throw anything away, and the male end looked just fine. As did everything except that one burnt place.
Final decision: I'm going to cut the bad plug off and run the wires into a plastic box with four AC receptacles. I think that might come in handy.

Just saying. :) Slow day, so thought I would post some trivia.

For about $20 you can buy a replacement connector.

I was at the marina yesterday, working on boat things, when the guy in the slip next to me pulled out and headed off. A transit, slip. But I saw that he had left a 30-amp shore power cable lying curled up on the dock, so I called him on the VHF and told him that he had left his shore power cable on the dock.

He answered me and said that he had left it because it was no good, and that he had meant to throw it in the trash. He asked me if I would dispose of it for him. Well, sure. No problem.

So I looked at it. Nice new-looking cable, about 25' I think, yellow in color. Looked OK to me, but when I looked at the female end of it I saw what he meant. FUBAR! One of the hot lines on the plug was burnt and charred and big as a dime! Whoa!

So, being thrifty, I thought about what I might be able to do with it. I hate to throw anything away, and the male end looked just fine. As did everything except that one burnt place.
Final decision: I'm going to cut the bad plug off and run the wires into a plastic box with four AC receptacles. I think that might come in handy.

Just saying. :) Slow day, so thought I would post some trivia.

Good find. When I find those burned shore power cords, I replace the burned connector and sell the cord on Craig's List or swap meets.

Back
Top Bottom