Engine Wire Harness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Nosing around the engine while giving it a paint job and dog hair removal pass with the vacuum reminded me that I wanted to ask about the engine wire harness and what looks like trailer hitch plugs used on it.

The plugs are dry and brittle. To me, the look like one massive single-point-of-failure and need to be swapped out. Can the harness be bought new/aftermarket or is there a better method to make this more reliable?

Tom-

Pics:

Attachments

• wireharness.jpg
    wireharness.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 76
GonzoF1 wrote:
Nosing around the engine while giving it a paint job and dog hair removal pass with the vacuum reminded me that I wanted to ask about the engine wire harness and what looks like trailer hitch plugs used on it.

The plugs are dry and brittle. To me, the look like one massive single-point-of-failure and need to be swapped out. Can the harness be bought new/aftermarket or is there a better method to make this more reliable?

Tom-

Pics:
*Some engines just use terminal strips. I too*prefer terminal strips slathered with dielectric grease*over plugs as I can see the condition of the connection.

I find that unless you check every plug connection on a routine basis...sooner or later corrosion/moisture creeps in, and they start driving you nuts with "random failures".

Any pics of yours?

GonzoF1 wrote:
Any pics of yours?
*My 135 lehman...ya know... it's so new to me I'm not sure what it has.

My last boat with Cat 3208s had at least one terminal strip on it visable.

When I go over my Lehman...any "butts" will become terminal strips and as the plugs look questionable...they will to. The engine's just barely 2 years old...the ONLY thing on the boat that doesn't need major surgery.

Personally I don't know why you'd want extra connections in the engine wiring - just one more potential corrosion/failure point IMHO.* Its not like you are R & R'ing the engine on a weekly basis and in the event you do remove it you won't be unduly inconvenienced by disconnecting a few direct connections.* Put ring terminals on the individual wires and hook them directly to the appropriate sender or terminal.

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Saturday 10th of March 2012 02:12:17 PM

-- Edited by bobofthenorth on Saturday 10th of March 2012 02:12:55 PM

My problem is that any terminal strip I need to add would have a hard time finding a home. So I wonder if Bob is right, just make them butt connectors.

those connectors are off the shelf items. You use a pin tool to remove the wires and then insert them into the new plug and socket. Voila ... good as new.

I'll take a closer look at it next time I am down, Rick, but they sure look molded in to me. I hope you're right. One other thing is that the wires look like they are getting aged and I wonder if the entire harness should be replaced.

If the bank account can handle it, that is a good way to go if it worries you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom