Chain length for a 2006 34T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlen

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Red Knot
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
I want to have 150 to 200' of anchor chain but I need to know if my anchor locker can accommodate that much.

How much chain have you installed in the modern 34T and similar models like the 390 and 400?

Thanks.

With the depths of water in the Pacific Northwest and Coastal BC, you are probably better off with a chain/line combo. My refit guy in Comox BC says the average anchor depth is 40 feet but that means some depths higher than 40 feet. Then you have to add height of your bow and take into consideration tide. Two hundred feet is nothing.

I had 200’ of 5/16” chain on my 34t. No problems other than chain piling up and having to knock the pile over if I had a lot of chain out.

David

Harlan, I would agree with Rick that 200’ may not be enough depending on where you want to anchor. I have 300’ and once in the last 4 years I have had it all out and wished for more. Sure, most of the time I am anchoring in 10-30’ of water but some places in BC where I needed to stern tie I set the hook at close to 100’.

I agree that 200' isn't enough total rode and would add at least an additional 200' of line to that. I might go with 250' of chain if I hear from a 34T owner that they had that much and the anchor locker would handle it.

I currently have 95' of chain and 300' of line. The chain is easier to work with in the windlass so I though it would be good to have more, but to also have added line when needed. The line requires extra effort to get it through the windlass upon retrieval.

There is, somewhere out there, an excellent paper on chain to line length ratio and I used to have it bookmarked on another, now defunct computer. I have tried to find it, I'll try again. But even 100 feet of chain added on to with additional long line will be fine. But I know many don't believe that, hence why I am looking for that study which would illustrate the combination effectiveness. If you are lazy, less chain with more line means probably have to use a snubber rarely. A source said once at least 40 feet of line is out, you don't need a snubber.

There is, somewhere out there, an excellent paper on chain to line length ratio and I used to have it bookmarked on another, now defunct computer. I have tried to find it, I'll try again. But even 100 feet of chain added on to with additional long line will be fine. But I know many don't believe that, hence why I am looking for that study which would illustrate the combination effectiveness. If you are lazy, less chain with more line means probably have to use a snubber rarely. A source said once at least 40 feet of line is out, you don't need a snubber.

Even though the question of all chain vs combination rode has been hashed to death, I think most of us agree that a combination rode works really well here in the PNW/BC/AK region. However, many of us use all chain because it is more convenient with some gear. I also agree that with enough line, you don’t need the hassle of setting a bridle.

Practical Sailor had an article a few years ago that talked about the appropriate length of line to use for adequate shock absorbtion.

I want to have 150 to 200' of anchor chain but I need to know if my anchor locker can accommodate that much.

How much chain have you installed in the modern 34T and similar models like the 390 and 400?

Thanks.

My AT34 has about 275ft of 5/16 chain plus about 25 ft of poly prop, incase I need to dump the anchor.

I have about 130 feet of 5/16" G40 chain and about 150 feet of 5/8 3-strand-line.

I've never had more than 90 feet of chain out of the locker. The anchor line has never seen the sun. 99.9% of the time I'm anchored in 6-12 feet of water.

Back
Top Bottom