Soap scum removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daviddraper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Andiamo
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Trawler
I’m awaiting delivery of a replacement Thule shower sump kit (the pump had given up). As typical, the old one was pretty scummy, mostly from soap buildup. What is an environmentally friendly product I can run through my shower sump periodically to remove soap scum. Thanks in advance to responses. ?

That is a Peggie question. She will probably chime in sooner or later.

We used regular doses of distilled white vinegar poured down the drains roughly weekly. The MSR shower/sink sump was at the foot of our bed, no smell or scum issues and we were full time live-aboards.

I’m awaiting delivery of a replacement Thule shower sump kit (the pump had given up). As typical, the old one was pretty scummy, mostly from soap buildup. What is an environmentally friendly product I can run through my shower sump periodically to remove soap scum. Thanks in advance to responses. [emoji41]

I only have two suggestions. The first is to get rid of any hard soap. Use only liquid soap in the shower (and sink drains). It will create less of a problem with scum build-up over time.

The second suggestion is using Raritan C.P. It is advertised as a toilet cleaner, and it does a good job at that without messing up the bio-environment in your holding tank. However, my primary use has been to keep the shower sump clean. Not sure if I am using it correctly, but my habit has been to squirt some C.P. down the shower drain every few days after everyone’s showers are done for the day. I think the recommendation is 2-3 oz, but I’m not sure if that is the amount that I use.

On my current boat, I think I have cleaned out the shower sump once in the 4 years that I owned it and it was shortly after I bought it. So I could be just lucky but this seems to work for me.

I use CLR Biodegradable Bath and Kitchen Cleaner to clean scum off our shower walls and glass. Spray on and rinse with water. Water and CLR goes down drain, cleans sump.

If the sump is extra scummy, scrape off the thick stuff and spray the CLR into the sump.

This cleaner is amazing on shower scum, especially on glass and chrome. I bought this bottle in Canada but it is available without the French in the US.

Attachments

• 20190802_204746.jpg
    20190802_204746.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Raritan CP (Cleans Potties) ideal for cleaning toilets, sinks and especially shower sumps as its enzymes degrade hair & soap. Squirt a small amount down the drains weekly (it can be left in the drain/sump without rinsing safely though the enzymes stop working within 24hrs). Last week Defender had the cheapest price.

What kinds of soap have you been using? As Dave mentions, we also make sure to use only liquids soaps, and go easy on hair conditioner (find an all-in one shampoo).

For the galley sink we've been using the foaming action dispenser for Dawn soap. One good tip is the solution in those is basically diluted dish soap. I've re-used the original pump at least a dozen times. About 2 oz of the concentrate and water. Works great. No need to buy their 'special' pump refill, just regular concentrated soap and your own water.

https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Platinum-Dishwashing-Fresh-Rapids/dp/B0028OY04I

TSP, does a great job of cleaning, Soap scum, or before painting.

If its hard to find locally most machine dish washing soap contains it.

The purple "Supercleaner" cuts through just about any grease/scum. Biodegradeable.

We live aboard and have switched all of our products to the Mellaluca lines... the cleaners are fantastic and 100% safe and biodegradable.

FYI... this is no longer a multi-level marketing program. You can just buy the products. They have a "after shower" spray that we use and there is no cleaning of any kind of residue inside the shower to worry about. Their liquid soap/body wash is excellent.

With kids or grandkids, all of their products are safe enough to drink. The whole line is great and comes to about 1/3 or 1/4 the price of off the shelf cleaners as they are mixed up in their own bottles from concentrate, so the space savings is also an outstanding side benefit. We live on a fresh water lake, and with all grey water going into the water directly, it's nice to know it is environmentally friendly.

Again, it is no longer MLM.

TSP, does a great job of cleaning, Soap scum, or before painting. If its hard to find locally most machine dish washing soap contains it.
TSP is bad for the environment, do not use it in a sump that dumps overboard. It's no longer in most dish washing soaps because of this.

By doing the vinegar routine, we were able to use the bar soaps and various hair care liquids of our choice, just like on land. Everyday, 365 days a year.

One reminder, which has an indirect relationship to this thread: a mesh flexible cover to the shower drain keeps hair from getting down there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom