Shatterproof bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I know you have probably seen me recommend those coated, shatterproof bulbs for utility lights on your boat. Well, I found this site today that has just about every kind of bulb known in coated, shatterproof styles. Fluorescents, HID, incandescent, etc. http://www.glasscoat.com/

You can still find the regular coated incandescent bulbs at Home Depot et al, under the brand "Tuffbulb" by Phillips.

On the florescence bulbs I have those clear plastic tubes to protect them.* I have changed most of the 110 light bulbs to those curly energy efficient 60 watt.* When redoing the bonding/zinc loop last spring I learned that most wired direct like heater, water heaters, light bulbs, stove elements/oven, and chargers put out stray electricity, so we been trying to not to use AC electric and more DC and diesel heat.*

When re modeling the boat we used 90% dirt/land light fixtures with 12 volt bulbs. I mean just becuase*the Eagle*looks ugly on the out side does not mean it has to be shippy/ugly on the inside. We were not to concerned how tough*the lights*were, but how pretty.*Most of the light fixtures have frost floral designs and/or lace trim.* Being boat poor and cheap. I can not afford to change them again until they burn out hopefully in a couple of years. But hey thanks for the site. * *****

I am with you there Phil,
When we bought our boat there was a mixture of fluorescent, incandescent and halogen bulbs. We came to the conclusion as we were on a budget and wanted light in every part of the boat, not all on at the same time, but if I want to sit somewhere to read there must be a light right there, then incandescent 24volt was the answer and dirt cheap fittings from the local Kmart. Fluorescent, while haveing a low power drain, look butt ugly and the quality of the light is worse. Halogen fittings in 24 volt were beyond our budget in the quantity that we wanted. Now the only other light we have now is one Led red light over the compass for night viewing.
Heating and cooking is Lpg, water heating is 240 volt, from the generator or shore. Everything done on budget and loving it.

Buget on a boat what is that?*
confused.gif
We just thought the boat/marine lighting were to shippy/nuatical/ugly*and way to expensive.*
cry.gif
*We Phrilled/frilled and*blinked the interior of the boat.*
bleh.gif
*However, we finally took down the disco ball as it was a little to much.*
aww.gif

Every room has 120 volt and 12 volt with white and red lighting.**Most morings I get dressed/ready using the red light so I do not wake my wife as she can a bitchy in the morning.
furious.gif
**But tell her that OK.*
blankstare.gif

I*sure like these funny faces.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom