Old 08-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
wkearney99
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Ours lights up but does not turn. Given where it is mounted on the brow of the flybridge... I guess that I could build a scaffold to be able to get to the spotlight but it has not bubbled up high enough on the priority list to deal with it.
That's basically where ours sits, high enough to be problematic to reach while it's in the water. No good way to easily service it without some sort of way to set up a scaffold or offset and secure a ladder.

We haven't had need for it, but last weekend did bring us back home after dark with very little moonlight.

Ours has stopped at a relatively useful angle, at least for how much it casts below the beam itself. It's angled up, just how much I didn't realize until approaching the slip and seeing the beam wash across a sailboat mast, about 30' up. If can manually adjust it down a bit I might just leave it there until winter, and the service it while on the hard.

I hear ya on flashlights, the downside being yet another thing to keep charged and scramble to find when needed. I've used various handheld corded spotlights too, and, again, it's about digging it up when you need it, and finding a useful DC outlet that reaches. Still, I should probably look into getting a decent one that could stand-in for the searchlight.