Indentifying A Strainer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I have a raw water strainer that appears to have a hack-job basket in it. At some point it looks like it was repaired with starboard. I would like to order a correct basket for it but am not sure of the brand/model. Any help would be great.

Pics:

Attachments

• strainer.jpg
    strainer.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 86
  • strainer2.jpg
    strainer2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 79
Ooops... sideways pics. Sorry.

Gonzo is on the right track. It's either a Groco SD Series strainer or an SA series. There should be a part number cast into it some where. Judging from the size of it I'd bet on the SA Series but it could be a small SD Series Strainer.
If you have trouble finding replacement parts locally, I can supply them.

Here is a link to the Groco website. Click on "Products" then "Raw Water Strainers"
http://www.groco.net/

Just went through this myself. I have a 25 yo Taiwan boat and thought it had older Groco strainers. Talked with Groco Tech support (very helpful) and sent them photos. Turns out I have knock off versions! They're in good shape*so I*measured the old baskets and found some that were close.

Groco units do have the part number somewhere on them as stated above.

Email or call Groco tech support (from their website.)

Good luck!

GonzoF1 wrote:
I have a raw water strainer that appears to have a hack-job basket in it. At some point it looks like it was repaired with starboard. I would like to order a correct basket for it but am not sure of the brand/model. Any help would be great.

Pics:
*While the repair job you have may be a hack job...don't be too quick to judge.

Factory baskets leave a lot to be desired in durability and the ability to keep trash from passing.

Both the big name bronze strainers I am avoiding with my rebuild...they both are costly and don't do the job on many boats I have owned or operated.

I'm thinking this time I may go Forespar marelon or the raritan clear ones this time around.

psneeld wrote:
....Factory baskets leave a lot to be desired in durability and the ability to keep trash from passing...
We changed all our baskets to poly in our raw water strainers*and now (hopefully) they*should last forever.*

I'm not sure what you mean*about the ability to keep trash from passing?* If you decrease the mesh size*don't you you have to increase the surface area?* Any thing that passes through our*screens can pass all the way through our engine and coolers.

-- Edited by Larry M on Saturday 10th of March 2012 03:55:27 PM

Larry M wrote:psneeld wrote:
....Factory baskets leave a lot to be desired in durability and the ability to keep trash from passing...
We changed all our baskets to poly in our raw water strainers*and now (hopefully) they*should last forever.*

I'm not sure what you mean*about the ability to keep trash from passing?* If you decrease the mesh size*don't you you have to increase the surface area?* Any thing that passes through our*screens can pass all the way through our engine and coolers.

-- Edited by Larry M on Saturday 10th of March 2012 03:55:27 PM

*Every time my assistance tow boat overheats...it's not the Perko*strainer that's clogged it's the oil cooler..

The same used to happen on my sportfish.

I'm not sure that different make strainers*will be better...but if they are cheaper, last longer (strainer wise), are easier to see into, and keep the same amount of stuff ut...I figure I'm ahead.

-- Edited by psneeld on Saturday 10th of March 2012 08:20:42 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom