South of South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I*was wondering how far south into the Caribbean any of the TF folks have been, in their own boats. Following the islands down rather than the Central America route (BB's route).*I know some*cruisers have been to the Exumas, but I haven't heard of*any folks*going south of that.****************** KJ*

Guess no one has been that far south. I thought we had some folks from the USVI or PR.***** KJ

I think Capn. Chuck sailed all around down there on a sail boat they previously owned. *Maybe he will chime in. *If not go to his Beach House website and look around. *I think that it is on there.

We're currently in the San Blas Islands of Panama less than 100 miles from the Columbian boarder. The end of this month, beginning of April, as soon as the trade winds moderate a little, we'll be heading to Columbia, the ABC's, the outer islands of Venezuela and then Trinidad (if all goes well). From there we'll be heading up the Eastern Caribbean. We went from Trinidad to North Carolina in 2005 in our last boat and looking forward to doing it again.

Great thread. Keep us posted

When you get down here,Id like to to do the up the islands back to FlaIt will take some time and planned the right time.BB

I was planning on continuing on after Belize on the route you took to get down to your place. I will probably be in your neck of the woods sometime in 2014. The research group I am working with will gradually be working their way to your location. I think Turneffe Atoll is on the agenda. I'm figuring about two years for the whole thing.
Do you know where Gladden Spit is? KJ

Been from Tortola to Martinique , but only on blow boats , and always by the sail route.

NY to Bermuda then to Antigua or St Thomas.

Usually a grand reach after Bermuda , only touch the sheets to change the nip in the blocks.

Both mono hull and multyhull , with $9.95 Davis Plastic sextant , and Heathkit MDF . No problem.

Great ride!

FF

Been from Tortola to Martinique , but only on blow boats , and always by the sail route.

NY to Bermuda then to Antigua or St Thomas.

FF

Yeah, that does seem like sailboat country. The last time I was down there I did a two week charter on a 42' Beneteau out of Tortola. Gotta love the place. You just can't get more laid back than an afternoon snooze at Foxy's (Jost Van Dyke).

Anyway, I was wondering if you saw much in the way of Trawler types on your run down to Martinique? KJ

Attachments

• jost_van_dyke.jpg
    jost_van_dyke.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 228
I was wondering if you saw much in the way of Trawler types on your run down to Martinique?

ZERO.

But I was sailing during a furlough 1972 and I don't think Bede's book was out. So the only marine motorists were in a really! big boats.

Sure the Marne Marie had done her Atlantic crossing years before , and other small motor boats had done some ocean voyaging , but in those days a Voyager was probably in a huge 50/50 motor sailor.

Today with lighter hull construction and flyweight diesels the true 90/90 is possible to build , but like most ocean capable boats cost too much to create.

Perhaps if this admin gets its way , $10+ per gallon , the true motor sailor will again re emerge for the wealthy , and sail cruising will again be the norm for long distance cruisers..

For the masses there is certainly a huge number of old GRP hulls that are super cheap.

We have been trying to sell our Beneteau First 32 for a year , at $15.000 , a boat that sailed from Saudi to England then to the Carib and up to Canada on her own , with self steering, wind gen , and no takers.

Most of the problem is FL where lots of water is 3ft deep , so next April we will be taking her to New England (and raising the price) .

But this is only an example of how little it takes to find a world cruiser , on the cheap.

There are many cheap power boats here in FL , but most are TT and the rebuild is beyond most owners ability , and then there is the fuel bill to actually go anywhere.

FF

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom