Sealand toilet seats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
I've got what I think are Sealand 508+ toilets and would like to replace the seats. They're 'bone' color.

Are there any soft-close variants available? It'd be nice to have that feature, if only to prevent guests from clanging the lid shut.

Any recommended suppliers?

Take your seat off , go to Home Cheapo and compare.

If no joy there ,go to a RV store , they have smaller bowls and mifgt have a good fit.

Seats from box stores aren't going to have the gasket that's under the seat. Whether it helps in our EB47 is debatable, as the ride has always been quite stable. On past boats, yep, it's mattered. Don't always remember to shut off the fresh water and flush the bowl to leave it dry before getting underway.

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know of alternatives that'll match up to the 508+ series? Otherwise it's north of $120 to get genuine Dometic/Sealand seat with the soft close feature, or ~$60 to get one without. I'll spend if I have to, but figured it'd be worth asking for alternatives.

Why is a gasket on a toilet seat important? Gaskets are usually only needed to create a seal. No other marine toilet seats have gaskets. Flushing a VF leaves < 1" of water (less than 1/2 cup) in the bowl...so why would you need to turn off the water? If that's enough to be of concern, just close the lid.

Box stores have soft close lids...I just bought 3 "elongated" Kohlers for my house for $30 each at Lowes. They had round bowls for even less. Seems to me it would be worth trying one for that price before spending $120 to get a gasket you don't really need.

That's my $.02 worth anyway...your mileage may vary.

--Peggie

I replace VacuFlush toilet seats with Home Depot purchased seats.

If I recall, that rubber seal around the VF seat, was an attempt to reduce the whoosh noise when the pedal is depressed. It was not very effective. Sealand sells both versions of the seats.

I don't think the new VF toilets come equipped with those seats anymore. I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
I may just pick up some round Kohler seats. I've got them on home toilets and the rubber feet they have under the front does a good job of keeping the seat from wiggling. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't include the gasket anymore. The sound isn't problematic enough at the flush. More of the noise is the whup-whup-whup of the vacuum units anyway.

The boat's not near me, of course, so it's either schlep all the way to it, pull the seat and go comparing, or gamble that a purchase will work.

Anyone compared Kohler's biscuit or almond compared to SeaLand 'bone' color?

The round front standard seats don't quite fit despite OEM being a Bemis. The geometry of bowl vs bolt patterns is different enough that it's obviously not the correct seat. Hinge geometry is also different enough to add to that dilemma. Being in the trade, I tried to locate a Bemis seat with a mfr rep moons ago, and had no luck. I finally relented and just forked over the confiscatory price. I'm about to replace another one that the hinge gave up on. Previous posts on the gasket feature are correct, it's an unnecessary gimmick.

Bone & bisque seem to be the same shade. If you do find a match, post specifics including pics, it would be of interest to listees owning VF gear.

WRT shutting the water off getting under way... should NOT be necessary. If the water valve is sluggish, it may be over filling the bowl, perhaps time for a new water valve before it decides to get really sluggish and keeps filling. You should be able to quick flush the bowl and leave it with just a covering of water over the ball. Don't see how that would ever slop out.

Fwiw, Bemis also supplies the bowls and seats for Raritan toilets...the round one is on their "standard" bowl. However, since the "household" size marine toilets can use a big box elongated seat, bolt and hinge hardware for either size may present the same issue you've already experienced.

--Peggie

WRT shutting the water off getting under way... should NOT be necessary. If the water valve is sluggish, it may be over filling the bowl, perhaps time for a new water valve before it decides to get really sluggish and keeps filling. You should be able to quick flush the bowl and leave it with just a covering of water over the ball. Don't see how that would ever slop out.

True, the point is to leave nothing in the bowl, regardless of whomever I have tasked to flush it. The old boat was more of an issue than the EB47. You may be correct regarding the valve. "One more thing on the to do list".

On the Home Depot toilet seats, I relocate the hinges by drilling new holes and filling the old holes with Marine Tex.

The round front standard seats don't quite fit despite OEM being a Bemis. The geometry of bowl vs bolt patterns is different enough that it's obviously not the correct seat. Hinge geometry is also different enough to add to that dilemma. Being in the trade, I tried to locate a Bemis seat with a mfr rep moons ago, and had no luck. I finally relented and just forked over the confiscatory price. I'm about to replace another one that the hinge gave up on. Previous posts on the gasket feature are correct, it's an unnecessary gimmick.

Bone & bisque seem to be the same shade. If you do find a match, post specifics including pics, it would be of interest to listees owning VF gear.

Yep, this is why I asked here on TF. Nice info.

I figured as much, and 'confiscatory' is spot-on. Yeesh, I get limited production runs, economies of scale and all that, but one-off sizing for a damned toilet bowl? Really? That's just annoying.

I was sincerely hoping this would be an easy swap. So much for that optimism.

But let me get back to specifics. I've got a 508+ toilet. I take it the SeaLand 500 series are all using the same sized bowl and hinge bolt placements? Was this the series that didn't fit the Bemis seat you tried?

Yep, this is why I asked here on TF. Nice info.

I figured as much, and 'confiscatory' is spot-on. Yeesh, I get limited production runs, economies of scale and all that, but one-off sizing for a damned toilet bowl? Really? That's just annoying.

I was sincerely hoping this would be an easy swap. So much for that optimism.

But let me get back to specifics. I've got a 508+ toilet. I take it the SeaLand 500 series are all using the same sized bowl and hinge bolt placements? Was this the series that didn't fit the Bemis seat you tried?

Relocate the seat hinges on the generic Bemis. Post 11.

Relocate the seat hinges on the generic Bemis. Post 11.

Right, my time for a hack or an over-priced direct fit. Were it just the toilet off the workshop at home, sure, I'd go with whatever. But with guests and all, I'm not all that keen to bodge something together.

To follow up on this, this Bemis seat fits the Sealand 508 toilets in my EB47.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAIWLQ7/

That one matches up perfectly with the mounting holes in the bowl. Bonus is this also has soft-close hinges. The screws are posts and the hinge caps make the seat easy to remove for cleaning. The color is pretty much an exact match too. It is a plastic seat versus the heavier painted wood kind that came with the toilet. There's good support underneath the seat where it contacts the bowl. There's no 'rocking' or shifting when seated on it.

At $29 that's a considerable savings over the Dometic variant that doesn't have soft-close hinges.

To follow up on this, this Bemis seat fits the Sealand 508 toilets in my EB47.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAIWLQ7/

That one matches up perfectly with the mounting holes in the bowl. Bonus is this also has soft-close hinges. The screws are posts and the hinge caps make the seat easy to remove for cleaning. The color is pretty much an exact match too. It is a plastic seat versus the heavier painted wood kind that came with the toilet. There's good support underneath the seat where it contacts the bowl. There's no 'rocking' or shifting when seated on it.

At $29 that's a considerable savings over the Dometic variant that doesn't have soft-close hinges.

thanks for updating the thread. that looks like a fine replacement. mine is looking pretty shabby, this might be a good time to swap.

thanks for updating the thread. that looks like a fine replacement. mine is looking pretty shabby, this might be a good time to swap.

The Bemis one is plastic, while the original was what I assume was painted wood. The older one was heavier and did have a more solid feel to it. The plastic ones aren't flimsy but if you're picky about seats I suppose it might matter.

We use the boat recreationally, not live-aboard for any duration. So I'm less concerned about 'comfort'. Much like pillows/bed in the guest room (at home) the less comfortable you make it... the less likely guests are to return... Let 'em use the bathrooms in the boathouse.... right?

The Bemis one is plastic, while the original was what I assume was painted wood. The older one was heavier and did have a more solid feel to it. The plastic ones aren't flimsy but if you're picky about seats I suppose it might matter.

We use the boat recreationally, not live-aboard for any duration. So I'm less concerned about 'comfort'. Much like pillows/bed in the guest room (at home) the less comfortable you make it... the less likely guests are to return... Let 'em use the bathrooms in the boathouse.... right?

yes, the original is wood. mine has the quiet flush gasket still. it does make some difference but not really a "must have" item.
regarding guests, i always recommend they use upland facilities or go back to their own boat. i claim small holding tank, but really i'm just particular about who's using my throne...

I just replaced the seats on my two 20-year-old vacuflush heads. The replacement seats don’t come with gaskets. I got them from Marina Sanitation in Seattle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom