Alaskan Cruiser from Sitka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
GINGER
Vessel Make
OuterReef 80/2010
We live in Sitka, Alaska when we are not traveling. We have lived in Alaska since 1970 and still love it. We move our trawler south in the winter and back north for the summers.
Although we have traveled the Inside Passage many times it always shows us something new and exciting.
We have been keeping our boat in Canada as we do not want to pay the "Use Tax" to the STATE OF WASHINGTON. Currently it is a little over 10% of the value of the vessel when it first enters the waters of the State of Washington.
We do visit Seattle and the various ports in the State of Washington but we are very careful to avoid overstaying our grace period. We have tried to support the economy of the State of Washington but we end up spending more than we should in British Columbia.
We are looking forward to a planned passage to Mexico the fall and winter of 2019. We are hoping to join FUBAR in San Diego.
Any suggestions on Mexico will be greatly appreciated.

John Hardwick and Ral West
Motor Vessel GINGER
Home Port SITKA, ALASKA

Welcome! Looks like you and Crusty Chief may be heading to Mexico during the same timeframe. We are retired too and do the Inside passage for the past two summers. Good luck

Well, I haven't heard those names since my Fantasia Travel days back in the 80's and 90's!

Nice to see you stayed in our wonderful state.

Andy

Welcome.
We will be crossing paths.

Richard

Welcome! You'll find a bunch of good people here with a sea-full of knowledge. I wish you luck. We lived in Mexico for a year & sailed from Ensenada to Cabo. Lots of places to visit along the Pacific coast. The Sea of Cortez has something in the range of 900 islands to explore.

Aloha Captains,

We are taking a 47 ft Cabo from BC to San Diego mid August 2019.
I'd like to talk to those of you who did that trip !
My number is 808-652-6555, Hawaii Time
Thanks!
Rudy

Well, I haven't heard those names since my Fantasia Travel days back in the 80's and 90's!

Nice to see you stayed in our wonderful state.

Andy

It used to be said there were three numbers every Alaskan could recite from memory:

1. Today's price of a barrel of crude oil.
2. The hours and minutes of daylight today.
3. The phone number for Hawaiian Vacations

Cheers All,
Pairadice is currently in Crescent City and hope to be heading to Eureka on Thursday and Ft. Bragg on Friday. Looks like we are gonna get a few clear days to travel south and wanna get around Cape Medicino while we can.

Looks Like Friday shapes up to be a perfect day for Pt Medicino and even Pt Arena.

How far of the coast are those heavy winds usually? ( hard to tell from Windy )

For the most part we are within a few miles of the shore on these day runs. We tend to go out a bit farther when rounding the capes. Sailboats tend to get out past the ledge (deeper than 400 ft) where the wind is a bit more constant and free from the crab pots.

J & R on Ginger,
If you get up into the Sea of Cortez/Bahia de Conception I'll show you around my winter 'hood in Mulege.

Presently cocktail hour here in Fox Bay, Sucia Isl, San Juans.

Aw youse guys is just really pi$$ing me off with all your talk of your travels.

Well, maybe it's more jealousy than pi$$ing me off. Glad someone's able to spend their lives on board and not just tied to a dock.

Mike,

Its easy I tell ya! Just go under that big bridge right outside your Marina, head down river a bit till ya smell the Salt Water. From there ya either turn to Port or Starboard cuz its a really long ways if ya go straight.
LOL, we love ya brother!

John
Yup, lots of west coast experience to draw from here. We’ve crossed paths with you a few times both at Van Isle and in AK. We noticed Ginger in Sitka a few weeks ago.

Your Outer Reef will do well on Fubar. We've several friends headed south to join up with Fubar, mid September departures from PNW. With your vessel’s range the jaunt down the coast will benefit.

Safe travels.

Back
Top Bottom