Just bought a 36' aluminum hull trawler!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Arrow Naut
Vessel Make
Avro 36 Trawler
Hi All,

The boat I went to see on Saturday in Kingston, Ontario now belongs to me (once survey etc. is done.) Now looking for a good surveyor in the Kingston area who knows aluminum hulls. Hmmmmm anyone?

It is called Arrow Naut as the hull was built by Avro Canada which built the infamous Avro Arrow. The owner had an image of the Arrow painted on the stern, see photos.

I posted about this boat earlier but as the ad is no longer available, here are the specs:

Arrow Naut Feature Sheet 2007
36’, 39’ overall.
Visitors to the boat say they have never seen so much interior room on a boat of this size. Shows as a much larger boat. Entire hull and super structure constructed of high grade aluminium. Most people seeing this boat think that it is a wood boat as it was designed with the grace and elegance of that era. It attracts attention wherever it goes.

Semi-displacement Hull 3/8” thick with 3/8” stringers, ribs and bulkheads. Keel 5/8” extruded aluminium. This hull and superstucture will be around long after a fiberglass boat is in the scrap yard. Boat is light, aerodynamic and very full efficient. Normal cruise 8 knots @ 2.5 gal/hr!. Rough water speed 10 knots. Max speed 14.1 knots.

Anchor Lift Windlass with 250’ of 3/8 chain
Kobelt Engine controls (Model 2092 lower, Model 2094 flybridge) Look these controls up online if you want an idea of the quality and cost of the components installed on this boat.
Twin Volvo D3-130 diesel engines, appox 300 hrs each. 130 hp each.
NMEA 2000 networked with NMEA 0183 converter/interface.
Full Volvo digital engine instrument displays upper and lower 30 amp solar cell array with controller.
1125 litre fuel tanks (2, connected with shut-off/isolating valve 3 kW invertercharger with Link 2000R control
Huge Paneltronics breaker panel (120V & 12V) Twin 30 amp 120V isolation transformers. These are usually only found on much larger boats. Completely isolates shore power to remove problems associated with bad power or reversed polarity etc.
Reverse osmosis water system
Aft cabin with double long bed
Dinette with hydraulic lift table converts to double bed V-berth with insert to convert to double bed Salon couch converts to single bed Interior helm and flybridge
Seastar pro hydraulic steering
Large enclosed aftdeck with full hardtop cover
High grade, extra thick wall stainless steel used in all posts and ladders. Full size ventilation/emergency hatch for both aft cabin and v-berth
Galley with NovaKool side by side fridge/freezer
2 burner induction cooktop, Panasonic micro/convection oven. Napolean BBQ on flybridge.
Corian counters through out. Very high quality maple cabinetry.
9’ Avon RIB with 8 hp Yamaha, on Weaver davits.
Large sunbella cover for entire front of boat. This protects the boat while at the same time drastically reduces the interior temperatures. Allows for the v-birth hatch to be open even when raining. Contributes to the overall fantastic ventilation of the boat.
Boat is fully insulated with spay foam (the same type used in life jackets)insulation above the deck line, and semi-rigid insulation and foil sheeting below the deckline.
Vacuflush toilet with large holding tank and grey water holding tank.
Aluminium structured floor with ¾” plywood over.
Fitted carpet in all areas except head area.
Custom hand painted stern with name.
Federally registered ship, named Arrow Naut.
Fusion onboard stereo system with Sirius/XM radio
Full ship WIFI system with external antenna and booster.
Fresh bottom paint in May 2019

I hope the photos show up.

Thanks everyone who helped me along the way to this purchase. I ordered a TF burgee last week and should get it this week. Looking forward to meeting some of you next year when I am navigating the Loop!

Liz

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 194
Well, Liz, it certainly sounds like you are convinced about this boat! Hope the survey goes well and your loop adventure begins. Congrats on your selection!

Liz,
Very nice lines for an aluminum hull. Most metal boats don’t have fair lines. But if this one has a clean hull it should be fast. And at any speed quite efficient compared do most boats .. especially heavy trawlers.

Good fishing

Congrats! Nice boat. I hope the survey works out well.

What are those 2 red things and the red cover?

Great looking boat. Hope that the survey works out.

Congrats on your new baby. Hope the survey goes well.

Congratulations! I'll PM you the surveyor I used.

Comodave, you are right. 2 kayaks and the cover keeps the front of the boat quite cool. It also keeps the rain off so the hatch can stay open. I'm going to use the Vberth for sleeping and the aft cabin as a sitting/tv room and office and guest quarters. The boat comes with everything in it other than the Hudson Bay blanket, the teak folding chairs and a hat! The kitchen cabinets were built to fit the dishes etc.

Wayfarer, my goggley eyed friend, please send me the surveyor info. I have to get going with the survey.

IF the PO was informed that's great.

But if electrical work was done by a boat yard you might wish to inspect every part of the bilge for copper wire cut offs.

Looks like a couple of kayaks and a cover to keep the rain and sun off the bow deck???

Haha, okay! I was using the mobile app when I posted that. The picture wasnt that clear. Lol.

Cool boat Liz. Good luck!

Congratulations! Great looking boat. Keep us posted on the survey progress.

Do you know anything about the hull color? Based on my recent experience it is a good thing to know color and whether or not it is clear coated. Congrats on reaching a decision as that can be one of the bigger hurdles.

IF the PO was informed that's great.

But if electrical work was done by a boat yard you might wish to inspect every part of the bilge for copper wire cut offs.

The owner sent me this text today:

Saw your post on Trawler forum. I don't have a membership so I couldn't respond, but in answer to the guy that said look out for copper wire in the bilge, you can tell him that all wiring is marine grade, tinned and twisted wire with heat shrink crimpons at all connection points.

Do you know anything about the hull color? Based on my recent experience it is a good thing to know color and whether or not it is clear coated. Congrats on reaching a decision as that can be one of the bigger hurdles.

I don't understand what you mean by hull colour. The blond in me wants to say.....I'm buying a RED boat....

I waa told that it has been painted with the same paint used on icebreakers in the Arctic. Also each of the 3 coats is a different colour...or was that the bottom paint being 3 colours?

Here are some more photos. Now I know how new grandparents feel about sharing baby pics.
I am so excited and right away felt this was the boat for me pretty much as I stepped on board.

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_120224.jpg
    IMG_20190728_120224.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190728_120400.jpg
    IMG_20190728_120400.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20190728_121229.jpg
    IMG_20190728_121229.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20190728_122507.jpg
    IMG_20190728_122507.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190728_120423.jpg
    IMG_20190728_120423.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Liz
Yes.... please fo keep us posted re progress.
We hit home Port today.
I think the comments re hull paint is to get the exact manuf and paint code # / description for future reference in case you need to do touch up. You might be surprised how many reds there are out there.
My impression only... the comment re checking bilge for copper wire wasnt meant to confirm if it is the correct wire - tinned or not - it's that a few snipped strands of copper wire dropped into an inconspicuous spot in the bolge could have significant negative (corrosive) affects when in contact w alum.
Don

Welcome to the club!

I doubt you'll find a surveyor that has surveyed many large aluminum hulls, nor one that has an ultrasonic thickness gauge. You could purchase one yourself and do multiple soundings, as hidden corrosion is about the only worry with an aluminum hull.

In your list of equipment there is no mention of an isolation transformer. This is an absolute "must have" to eliminate concerns about stray current from shore power.

Contact me via pm if you'd like more info

Liz
Yes.... please fo keep us posted re progress.
We hit home Port today.
I think the comments re hull paint is to get the exact manuf and paint code # / description for future reference in case you need to do touch up. You might be surprised how many reds there are out there.
My impression only... the comment re checking bilge for copper wire wasnt meant to confirm if it is the correct wire - tinned or not - it's that a few snipped strands of copper wire dropped into an inconspicuous spot in the bolge could have significant negative (corrosive) affects when in contact w alum.
Don

Glad to hear that you got home safe!

I will get the paint info from the owner. Also will check for bits of wire but I have a feeling that there won't be any
The current owner comes across as meticulous in his work. But that is a good thing to know going forward. Knowledge is power or i this case, knowledge keeps the boat afloat.

Welcome to the club!

I doubt you'll find a surveyor that has surveyed many large aluminum hulls, nor one that has an ultrasonic thickness gauge. You could purchase one yourself and do multiple soundings, as hidden corrosion is about the only worry with an aluminum hull.

In your list of equipment there is no mention of an isolation transformer. This is an absolute "must have" to eliminate concerns about stray current from shore power.

Contact me via pm if you'd like more info

Thanks so much for this info. I will investigate and get back to you if there isn't one on the boat.

Btw, does your TF name come from a product you make?

I just saw your reply re aluminum boat and isolation transformer. I’m also looking at a Mainship aluminum hull boat. I’m a newbie and your post just may be the most valuable info that I’ve come across. No one-brokers, dealers,etc— has ever mentioned it when I’ve asked about galvanic corrosion. Thanks

There are thousands of Al boats out there without isolation transformers. They seem to last forever. Sure, install an IT on a larger metal vessel, but be aware the reasons for doing so are not solely for metal protection. Metal boats, require different metals to be isolated from one another, but not via an IT. Proper construction techniques accomplish that isolation.

There are thousands of Al boats out there without isolation transformers. They seem to last forever. Sure, install an IT on a larger metal vessel, but be aware the reasons for doing so are not solely for metal protection. Metal boats, require different metals to be isolated from one another, but not via an IT. Proper construction techniques accomplish that isolation.

An isolation transformer has nothing to do with dissimilar metals. It eliminates a direct link between your boat and the shore power wires. This prevents stray dc current from turning your boat into the neighbourhood anode. Added bonus, it also prevents you from becoming the neighbourhood electrocutioner!

The name is one I’ve used on other forums. I had a screaming yellow 2004 Mach 1 mustang. I really should change my name here.

Last edited:
I just saw your reply re aluminum boat and isolation transformer. I’m also looking at a Mainship aluminum hull boat. I’m a newbie and your post just may be the most valuable info that I’ve come across. No one-brokers, dealers,etc— has ever mentioned it when I’ve asked about galvanic corrosion. Thanks

Being moored in freshwater affords both of you some benefit as fresh water is less conductive to electrical current...

Nice pics. Definitely a high degree of spiffiness.

Richard Trainor http://marinesurvey.ca/ He has surveyed Multiple boats for us, and is a Diesel Mechanic by Trade Very Knowlagable and great surveyor. He is In Kingston, and probably knows the boat, Spoke st great length with the owner last time we were in Confed.

Liz,
Congrats on finding the boat that talks to you! Take your time and ask any questions that pop into your thoughts. She is a lovely boat.
Bob

Back
Top Bottom