1981 Californian 36 Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhoda Mae

hello, I am purchasing a 1981 Californian 36 ft Trawler, My first trawler, Im very excited about it and cant wait to start doing all the things needed to bring her up to snuff,
there are a few issues, one being the generator runs but puts out no power, the previous owner thinks it may be some type of circuit breaker, ??
also I will be servicing the twin Perkins 6 cylinder turbo diesels,
any info on this boat will be greatly appreciated
thanks

Greetings Rhoda Mae. Is there any voltage coming into the selector switch?

What type of generator is it? Does it start and stop after a short time or keep running, but no AC output?

Most generators, including the one in my old 1977 Californian, stop if they don't sense output voltage after a short time. So, if it keeps running, you'll want to check close to to the genset or right on it for AC output. And, if it isn't found there, I'd also,want to look at the controller to see if someone bypassed the test -- which would be bad, but really, really unlikely.

If it keeps running, I'd bet on a switch or breaker or fuse or wire.

The Smokestack site has great info on vintage generators and a lot of folks who know a lot.

-Greg
Former owner of a 1977 42' Californian
Present owner of a 1981 42' Hardin Europa

answers to both, sadly I didnt check it yet,I basically was just wondering if such a thing was possible, and clearly from your answers it is,,
the previous owner, amazingly supplied me with very little info , If you met him you would understand,,,lol
but I will most certainly post any info I have, once the boat is here at my home, I figured there may be a circuit breaker, and Ill bet he had something turned off,
thanks for the replies

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom