Need new Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbodine88

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
S/V Frimi
Vessel Make
West Wight Potter
I have visited 5 hardware stores 15 times looking for this, no luck

I need a hose with a 1 inch garden hose connector on one end, 46 inches of hose , maybe PVC, and a 1 inch FIP connector on the other end.

Looks like this:

http://www.cactus.org/~tbodine/Advice/SinkHose.JPG

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Thomas Bodine

Frimi Captain

I have a similar hose set up for a non-boating application.
As you have I looked all over without success and had to make it up myself. Pretty simple but not beautiful.

You're not going to find that in a hose. You'll need to find an adapter and connect it to the hose. The box stores should sell them.

In any of the 15 trips, did you ask someone?

To your hose end fittings add the word " swivel" and maybe someone will recognize what you need.
The local small industrial supply house I frequent has all kinds of that kind of stuff.

As suggested you may have to do some adapting though but the connections can be had.

In 30 yrs in the plumbing business, I've never encountered 1" garden hose thread fittings. Standard hose thread is 3/4", and it is a different thread pattern than standard pipe thread, also different from fire hose thread. Are you determining that it's one inch by measuring the OD of the threads? If so, then it's probably 3/4". Most of the problem in sourcing fittings comes from unfamiliarity with the nomenclature. You need to get that correct if you want someone to be able to provide you with a fitting that mates. You might as well be speaking a foreign language. The best way is to take the fittings you're trying to replace to a plumbing supply house and have them match up the fittings. A hardware store may be an option, but my experience is that some are good, some are clueless, not many inventory unusual fittings. A previous post mentioned a swivel connector, that's pertinent. Your drawing shows FHT, or female hose thread, but the size in 1" isn't compatible with the thread, since hose thread is only produced in 3/4". The suggestion to visit a hydraulic supply counter and have the hose made would probably be a good option. Sometimes it's just easier to toss it all and start from scratch with more common fittings rather than tearing your hair out matching up some oddball stuff.

Maerin is right. Hadn't thought about the hose coupling fittings ONLY in the one size.

For the FHT you likely mean a Female swivel hose coupling. Then spec. what ever size hose ID you want and they should be able to find the correct fitting..

For the FIT If the other end you want to attach to is a pipe end and pipe thread and it measures 1" across then it is a 3/4" pipe thread. So for the FIT I would suggest you get an adapter from male pipe 3/4" to a MALE hose coupling.

Then simply put the same Female swivel hose coupling as first described on BOTH hose ends and you are done.

Just get good QUALITY FITTINGS as there are a lot of junky fittings out there. Good ones are a dream to work with. Poor ones are lousy to work with. THey will work but ?????

Try to find a small, local industrial supply place as they generally have good quality fittings AND they actually have some idea of what they are doing or have someone who does.

Most of the problem in sourcing fittings comes from unfamiliarity with the nomenclature. You need to get that correct if you want someone to be able to provide you with a fitting that mates.

Just get good QUALITY FITTINGS as there are a lot of junky fittings out there. Good ones are a dream to work with. Poor ones are lousy to work with.

Excellent advice!

From the name of the picture, it's for a sink. For the water to the fixture or from the drain? Either way, the vendors for those items might have spec sheets/instructions that offer a clue as to what fittings they use. Often there's a barb style fitting you clamp a hose onto.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom