Old 07-29-2019, 06:17 AM   #16
CaptTom
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
[QUOTE=AlaskaProf;786306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
...the idea that there could be an arrival every 60 seconds and a departure every 75 was a scale they were not prepared for. And that the pace required relying on memory.

I suspect they are not schooled in the scarcity of bandwidth and the need for conservation.
I think this is the key difference.

I had the opportunity to fly in a small plane with a couple of private pilots, in a back seat with headphones on. I, with a boating background, not aviation, was impressed by the brevity of all the comms. I could also clearly see the need, as we transited NYC air space.

The whole thing about saying the call sign of the called and calling stations three times is because, many times, no-one is really paying much attention to the radio. "Hey, was that for us?" "Who was that, anyway?" Boaters don't wear headphones and there's often a lot of ambient noise.

Most experienced watchstanders bend the rules and only repeat twice. It does start to get tedious in busy harbors, where the commercial captains tend to adopt a quicker tempo in their comms.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote