Folding seat like a director's chair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
We've got a pair of nice director chairs in our salon. I'd like to find some stools that match/come close to how they look. I can't, for the life of me, find a decent example of one online.

As is often the case I probably haven't hit on exactly the right search terms for it. But basically what I'm looking for would be an armless version of one of a directors chair.

I can find foot stools, but their low 15" (40cm) height won't work for seating. I can find camp stools but their seating size is way too small.

I'd like to have some easily stored extra seating. It seemed like a sling seat item like we had in the director chairs would be a good alternative.

Worst case I suppose I could just get some director chairs and take off the arms.

Attachments

• 51siDtqJpCL._AC_UL320_.jpg
    51siDtqJpCL._AC_UL320_.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 872
Bar height director chair

I only need/want regular height seating. Bar height would be too high. Likewise, what I'm after here is easy storage. A director's chair with the hinged arms adds bulk. I just want a normal 18" height seat without the arms, and a bottom that's a decent width. Camp stools are tiny in comparison.

I suppose I could just get some director chairs and take off the arms.
I wonder how much the chairs depend on the clamping action of the arms over where the seat sling is inserted?

Kinda off the wall, won't match other seating.... but a drummer's throne might work for you. Usually the seat comes off and the stand folds, height is adjustable, backrest optional.

All my kit hardware is Yamaha or Gibraltar, but there are several drum companies that make decent stuff.

-Chris

All my kit hardware is Yamaha or Gibraltar, but there are several drum companies that make decent stuff.

OH! You're a DRUMMER. That explains... so much...

I'm kidding, of course. I never had the separating hands/feet coordination to play drums. Just in-line instruments like the trumpet, trombone, sax and clarinet.

I've got teak decking in the cockpit where I'd want to use the seating... not sure how well the metal stand hardware would hold up against outdoor use on saltwater. That and pinch/scrape issues with kids wet from swimming.

Thus wood stuff that'd fold seems a better fit. The hassle is finding it. I'm ordering up a spare director chair and going to see about taking the arms off.

There's also this sort.

But I'm trying to juggle several variables. Outside, salt environment, easy to stow, gentle on teak (and fiberglass when man-handling it down into a lazarette or engine compartment) and suitable for kids or guests in wet bathing suits.

Thus something like a slightly larger camp stool or director's chair without arms would really be ideal.

Hens teeth are easier to find...

Attachments

• contemporary-outdoor-folding-chairs.jpg
    contemporary-outdoor-folding-chairs.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
And don't get me started on finding a folding dining table...

I've finally found an Indonesian vendor that I think makes what I'm after... but they've yet to reply to inquiries.

This one's 40" x 27" and folds up like various 24" square ones I've seen.

Attachments

• 60125[1].jpg
    60125[1].jpg
    34 KB · Views: 56
We had the very same problem, that is "how do we accommodate guests and give them a comfortable chair to sit in?" Also, being able to fold them up quickly for out of sight storage. These were found on line at $80.00 and though people love them, they are not suitable for lengthy outside use.We do use them outside, however, for short periods. (3hours, etc.) Each chair has a fold out table that negates the need for more salon tables.

Google 'Folding chairs" then "images."

Edit: My wife says to Google Camp Chairs
https://www.kmart.com/picnic-time-sports-chair-botanica/p-00607773000P#Imagezoom

Attachments

• guests.jpg
    guests.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Salon Chairs.jpg
    Salon Chairs.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 79
  • FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
OH! You're a DRUMMER. That explains... so much...

I'm kidding, of course. I never had the separating hands/feet coordination to play drums. Just in-line instruments like the trumpet, trombone, sax and clarinet.

I've got teak decking in the cockpit where I'd want to use the seating... not sure how well the metal stand hardware would hold up against outdoor use on saltwater. That and pinch/scrape issues with kids wet from swimming.

Thus wood stuff that'd fold seems a better fit. The hassle is finding it. I'm ordering up a spare director chair and going to see about taking the arms off.

:) And guitar, too. Just now, we're working on the Irish bodhráns... expecting a pair of those to be a bit more travel friendly, along with an acoustic 12-string... compared to my kit and her little grand or concert leyboard. There's only so much space to go around... :)

We've got a mid-height director chait we use, too... similar to the one in your first picture but neither bar height nor chair height... and it folds OK, but doesn't get tiny.

-Chris

What is a chair without a back? A STOOL.

Google Directors Stool:

Gee, if it was as simple as 'just google it' I wouldn't have posted the question.

I don't want a 15" (or less) foot rest. I want a decent 18" height and decent width for seating. Go check the heights.

After a lot searching, I managed to find ONE example of something referred to as a 'sideline stool' from Gold Medal. Everywhere Chair sells 'em. I've ordered a pair and see.

Meanwhile I picked up a set of four directors chairs via craigslist. Used them this weekend and it reinforced my desire to use an armless/stool variant. With kids going back/forth, the backs of the chairs were in the way more often than not.

Upside was discovering I can stow at least 3 of them under the forward berth. With stools it'd probably allow stowing at least 4. Added bonus was discovering a pretty big space under the inboard berth in the starboard stateroom. Big enough to stow a rolled up inflatable twin bed mattress, and then some. Oddly there was an AC power strip installed there. Previous owner must've had some TV/video gear or something down there.

And don't get me started on finding a folding dining table...

I've finally found an Indonesian vendor that I think makes what I'm after... but they've yet to reply to inquiries.

This one's 40" x 27" and folds up like various 24" square ones I've seen.
We have something similar, I think it was made in Papua New Guinea, just north of Australia.Folds identically. 2 halves of the top lock to each other by dowels, we haven`t but they could break if not lined up.Found on ebay.
No pics, but we have 4 timber slat "steamer" chairs. Made in Vietnam I think, of acacia wood. They fold flat to store. We use them in the cockpit with the table, and indoors on one side of the dining table.

Looks a likely candidate. The Gold Medal website is a bit short on detail (wood finish, height, etc.).
Tell me about it. But beggars can't be choosers at this point. I went with a pair from of these from Everywhere Chair in a 'natural finish' with some navy seats.

Attachments

• everywhere chair folding director stool.jpg
    everywhere chair folding director stool.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 612
Thanks for link. Our interior is all cherry, so I guess I could refinish a "natural" wood model...

Our use case might be a temporary stool at the open end of our asymmetrical dinette, sort of a way to seat 5 at a table built for 3-4.

The medium height director's chair we have works OK, but it's still a little high and takes up significant space even when folded.... but as I remember it, the normal height director's chair would be too low. I might have to recheck that...

-Chris

Thanks for link. Our interior is all cherry, so I guess I could refinish a "natural" wood model...

Our use case might be a temporary stool at the open end of our asymmetrical dinette, sort of a way to seat 5 at a table built for 3-4.

The medium height director's chair we have works OK, but it's still a little high and takes up significant space even when folded.... but as I remember it, the normal height director's chair would be too low. I might have to recheck that...

Yup, similar situation. My goal here is temporary seating, mainly for out in the cockpit, but in a pinch for the salon and flybridge table. Having a back on them gets in the way of people moving from one boat to another when we're rafted up with others. Our boating use is largely recreational, with kids, which is perhaps different that what some other members here are doing.

I've had my share of metal chairs in the past and generally dislike how they feel/look and how saltwater tends to wreck them. Wood stuff has it's own issues but it doesn't corrode, doesn't tend to scratch/ding/dent gelcoat or teak decking.

I can live with some degree of finish mis-match. I'll try to get some good pix when I get them on-board.

We have something similar, I think it was made in Papua New Guinea, just north of Australia.Folds identically. 2 halves of the top lock to each other by dowels, we haven`t but they could break if not lined up.Found on ebay.
No pics, but we have 4 timber slat "steamer" chairs. Made in Vietnam I think, of acacia wood. They fold flat to store. We use them in the cockpit with the table, and indoors on one side of the dining table.

I've seen the steamer chair variety, it's a nice look. Good to know they fold flat, as some chairs don't really fold in a completely flat sort of way (lots of finger-pinching points left exposed making carrying/storing tedious).

We have a small 2'x2' variant of the table and know what you're talking about regarding the dowels. They don't seem to be critical to any weight-bearing, more just to make sure the halves line up together. But it's good advice to be careful with them regardless.

Haven't slogged through eBay results lately, might re-visit...

Not exactly what you are looking for, but if small storage is a priority, these things fold up to the size of a large laptop. We have two in the Tug that we use in the cockpit, upper deck and sometimes in the cabin depending on needs. They have rubber/silicone pads on the bottom so wont scratch the deck. Only down side is that I've heard they are no good for the beach because sand can mess with the collapsible legs. That hasn't been an issue for us, as the only time we take them off the boat is to use on the dock or by the firepit at our marina clubhouse.
https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-Compact-Folding-Chair/dp/B0042X0YCK

Folding Arless Directors Chair

snip
snip

Why not inquire locally about having exactly what you want made to your specifications?

Pete

Why not inquire locally about having exactly what you want made to your specifications?
Because now they have finally replied and have quoted a number considerably less than I'd ever get locally. Shipping costs remain to be seen, but I'll probably up the quantity to a few other units to help offset the cost.

-Chris
Lots of options.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fol...0j69i57j0l4.6823j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Good assortment of teak

Try Westminster Teak. They usually have pieces that meet my needs.

https://www.westminsterteak.com/CID88/Ottomans/sc=SiteSearchottoman

I’ve had good success.

Carl

Here's a shot of the stool from Everywhere Chair.

I bought a pair of the stools, along with some Phifertex replacement covers for some craigslist director chairs I picked up last weekend. The Phifertex is perfect for wet swimsuit seating.

I also bought two of their director chair bags. The bag is perfect for holding two of the stools, but is only large enough for one director chair.

Attachments

• 20190804_153943.jpg
    20190804_153943.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom